Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

New Player-Strategy Question

(1/3) > >>

cataldo11w:
First time poster and a relatively new player of Dominion. I've read through a number of strategy guides and texts and feel my general understanding of the game is pretty decent. That being said, I feel I've gotten in a rut of not improving and losing consistently. I don't know what I need to improve in order to be a better player and I am not totally sure where my game is lacking. While I have general questions about that and would like to improve, I figured a better way to maybe understand it is to post a game I've played several times and lost terribly at both times (40ish-9 and 50ish to 18ish). Would love feedback on how you'd play this kingdom, what strategies are best, and what to avoid, in the hopes that maybe I can come to better understand the game. If this isn't the right place for this post, I apologize. Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts.

Kingdom:
Lurker
Fishing Village
Forager
Swindler
Death Cart
Haggler
Minion
Torturer
Upgrade
Wharf

(I played this 2-player if that matters)

Thank you!

Jack Rudd:
Well, the best type of strategy is clearly an engine of some sort. That said, it's not entirely obvious what the best way to do it is.

crj:
Mmm. I was thinking that.

Except... how much of a risk is there of things turning into a slog with Swindler and/or Torturer?

What happens if one goes for a Fishing Village/Forager/Swindler strategy, hoping to tear a hole through opponent's engine while hitting $8 for a Province reasonably frequently as the deck thins? It would clearly help to pick up Minions, Wharves or Torturers for extra draw once one hits $5, but which?

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: crj on April 24, 2019, 04:16:20 pm ---Except... how much of a risk is there of things turning into a slog with Swindler and/or Torturer?

--- End quote ---

7-10%.

Titandrake:
There's a Game Reports / Help! section where these posts are supposed to go, although it looks like they haven't been used in a while.

It might help if you could explain how you lost - what did your opponent do, what did you do? If you have trouble answering these questions, then it's a sign you should be paying more attention to what they're doing.

In the specific kingdom here, there's a lot of fancy stuff you can do but the core is going to be using Fishing Village for actions, Wharf + Torturer for cards and attacks, and then some mix of Haggler, Lurker, Swindler, Upgrade, Forager. This kingdom is complicated because you plausibly want almost every card in the Kingdom at some point (except for Death Cart).

The other option for cycling through your deck is going heavy on Minion, combining it with Fishing Village, Swindler, Haggler, and Forager to get use of each of your 4 card hands, but I think this will be worse than the Wharf and Torturer route.

I would open Forager/Swindler, get Fishing Village and Wharf from there, then pick up Lurker and Haggler once the deck is going a bit. If you get a good Swindler hit or if your opponent buys Lurker, consider buying Lurker sooner. The Forager is to get early trashing in, the Swindler is to add early disruption and to get a source of +$2 because you want to hit $5 soon for Wharf or Torturer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version