Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68  All

Author Topic: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Game Over! Town won!)  (Read 193314 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile

Making another thread to be able to mod it.

This is a first run of their semi-open setup for 14 players, Bread and Circuses. All information about the setup is included in the 2nd and 3rd posts.

Flavor will be [...] nonsense [...].

Playerlist:
  • arishipshape
  • DatSwan
  • chairs
  • jotheonah
  • MiX
  • A Drowned Kernel
  • gkrieg13
  • mcmcsalot
  • Glooble
  • Galzria
  • Faust
  • Joseph2302
  • SpaceAnemone
  • EFHW

* indicates a prod

Mods: LaLight, Uncleeurope

Tagged:

Navigation:
Day 1 Start | Day 1 End

Rules:

The normal Rules of Mafia apply, with the following additions and changes
General
  • This is the mod color. This is also the mod color.  You may not use these colors, or very small text, or any sort of stenography or encryption we deem likely to hurt the game.
  • All players will have personal QTs that they may post in at any time.
  • Questions will be answered, errors fixed, and rule-breaking punished at mod discretion.  We'll try our best to be fair and impartial and make sure everyone has fun, but some questions may not be answered and some things may not be resolved the way you want.  Complain about it via PM or QT, not in thread.
  • Mod communications of any kind may not be directly quoted in thread, although they may be paraphrased.
  • Private topic posts may only be quoted if you don't imply they came from your private topic, drafts are fine, "Hey, here are my notes from 2 days ago"is not. Same for offline note taking, etc.
Voting
  • You may Vote: No LynchIf half, rounded up, of the living players vote this way, a No Lynch is achieved and the day ends.
  • Voting must be in bold to count.  If I recognize it as a vote for someone, it counts as a vote.  Ambiguity kills.  If I don't know who you are voting for, it doesn't count.  Errors should be pointed out in thread, but if you were just being too weird for me to figure out what you meant, just revote.
  • Unvotes are not required to change your vote.
Deadlines & Prods
  • Game days will last 8 real life days.  Nights will last 2 days.  At the start of the phase I may announce that there will be a bit of extra time to line things up with my schedule.
  • All players still alive are required to check in during the night in (at least one of) their QT(s).
  • Night Actions may be submitted up until 2 hours before the next day starts.
  • If all players consent to it via QT or PM, night may be shortened and resolved as soon as I can.
  • Plurality Rules!
    When time for the day is up and no majority has been reached, the player with the most votes is lynched.  If there is a tie, the player who most recently had more votes is lynched. If there is still a tie, the player who reached their current number of votes first is lynched. If there is still a tie, the player who most recently won a board game is lynched. If your vote is 1 second after the set deadline, that vote does not count, whether I've locked the thread or not.
  • Prods will be issued after 48 hours without posting in the game thread, unless you have declared V/LA.  A player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after that I'll start trying to find a replacement.  If you post in thread before I do, that's fine.  After 3 prods, players are subject to replacement or modkill, at the mods' discretion.  I might send out pokes before you're eligible for a prod, these have no consequences attached and are just to get you posting again and let you know you're close to being prodded.  But I'm not promising to always do so.
  • I'm happy to send prods by email or some other means if people like, but prods will be sent by PM on site by default. Let me know by PM if you have some other preference.
  • Players who discover they are too busy to play in a game or want to leave the game for civility issues are not allowed to officially /out in the thread once the game has started.  A request to replace out must be done via a post in the role QT or PM. Please do not use this as a manipulation technique.  (Note players may continue to threaten to /out or imply that they might as long as it does not include an official request). Requests to /out are final once submitted. There will be no /outing and then /inning back into the game so make sure that when you /out you have thought it through and really want to do it. Players that can't be replaced will simply be mod-killed. Whether your request to /out will lead to replacement or a modkill is up to the mod's discretion.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:53:01 am by LaLight »
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 04:41:19 am »

Still have no ideas for flavor. I will think of something as we go. Possibly there will just be the stories of my life. Or not. Anyway, pms are going out.

Also setup:

Setup: Bread and Circuses
by Umbrageofsnow and Uncleeurope

1 Goon + 5 VTs   
|
                  C                 
|
              D             

A                   
|
|
|
|
      Supersaint Jester       
Macho 2-shot Cop
Semi-Elite Bodyguard
VT
|
|
|
|
Mafia 1-shot BP Traitor
Mafia Odd-Night Promoter
VT
Semi-Elite Bodyguard

B                   
|
|
|
|
Mafia Godfather
Mafia Goon
Town Odd-Night Promoter
Semi-Elite Bodyguard
|
|
|
|
       Lyncher Doctor
       Vengeful Townie
       Psychologist
       Tracker

Additional Rules:
  • Plurality Lynch
  • Traitor knows Mafia, Mafia doesn’t know traitor, dies if night-killed
  • Traitor is guilty to cop, innocent to Psychologist (until the night it inherits the NK)
  • Traitor inherits the night kill if other mafia are all dead
  • Psychologist is slightly non-standard: it's result occurs before the night's kill
  • Promoter can self-target
  • Promoter turns a player into a compulsive gladiator the next day.
  • The player who has become a gladiator will be announced at the start of each day.
  • Vengeful can only target on-wagon
  • Bodyguards protect from kills, not death, so if 2 Bodyguards protect each other and one is killed, the other dies
  • Bodyguard can protect from Vengeful/Supersaint kills, which happen the following night.
  • If 2 Bodyguards target the same player and that player would die, both die, but they kill the attacker.
  • This doesn't work on the Cop.
  • The Vengeful Townie is capable of performing a kill to the Psychologist
  • Jester cannot self-hammer
  • Lyncher can self-doctor
  • Lyncher's target will be one of the VTs

The setup is one of 4, either a column or a row of the above table, and then 1 Mafia Goon and 5 VTs are added

Possible Role PMs

Quote from: Supersaint Jester
After you are lynched you will kill the last player on your wagon at the end of the Night.

You win if you are lynched before the end of the game. Your lynch does not end the game. You may vote for yourself, but if your vote would be the final vote required for your lynch it will not count.

Quote from: Lyncher Doctor
Each night you may target one player (possibly yourself) to protect them from one kill attempt.

Your target is {Player}, you know they are a VT.
You win if your target is lynched while you are still alive.

When your target dies you also die.

Quote from: Mafia Goon
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote. Also your factional night kill. Each night, one member of your team with access to your team QT may target a player to attempt to kill them.
You may talk to your partner(s) at night here.

You win when at least half of the players left alive are members of the Mafia.

Quote from: Mafia Godfather
If you are investigated by the cop, they will be told you are town-aligned.

Each night, one member of your team with access to your team QT may target a player to attempt to kill them.
You may talk to your partners at night here.

Quote from: Mafia 1-shot Bulletproof Traitor
Your teammates are {Player} and {Player}, but they do not know you.

If both of your teammates die, you inherit access to their team QT and their ability to target a player to attempt to kill each night.

You will survive the first time you would be killed at night.

Quote from: Mafia Multitasking Compulsive Odd-Night Promoter
Each odd-numbered night, you must nominate one player (possibly yourself) to enter a fight the next day. If you don't make a selection, one will be made for you at random. On the following day, your target must submit Challenge: {Playername} in bold in the game thread before 72 hours have passed. Otherwise a Challenger will be chosen at random. All votes will be reset, and for the rest of the Day only votes for one of the combatants will be accepted.

Each night, one member of your team with access to your team QT may target a player to attempt to kill them. You may attempt the kill and Promote a fight on the same night.
You may talk to your partner at night here.

Quote from: Town Compulsive Odd-Night Promoter
Each odd-numbered night, you must nominate one player (possibly yourself) to enter a fight the next day. If you don't make a selection, one will be made for you at random. On the following day, your target must submit Challenge: {Playername} in bold in the game thread before 72 hours have passed. Otherwise a Challenger will be chosen at random. All votes will be reset, and for the rest of the Day only votes for one of the combatants will be accepted.

You win when all Mafia are dead and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Quote from: Semi-Elite Bodyguard
Each night you may target a player other than yourself to protect. If that player would be killed, they survive and you die instead.

If you and another Bodyguard both protect the same player, if you die for your target, together the two of you will also kill the attacker. This counts as one kill attempt.

Quote from: Vengeful Townie
After you are lynched you may target a player on your wagon, you kill that player at the end of the Night.

Quote from: Macho 2-shot Cop
Twice per game, you may use one of your shots at night to target a player to investigate. You will receive a result of “{Player} is town-aligned” or “{Player} is not town-aligned.”

If you would otherwise die at night and are protected by a Bodyguard, you will die anyway and the Bodyguard will survive.

Quote from: Psychologist
Each night you may target a player to investigate. You will receive a result of “Can Kill” if they are capable of killing a player at night but have not yet done so. If they cannot kill, or if they have already killed someone, you will receive a result of “Cannot Kill.” This investigation resolves before the night’s kill.

Quote from: Tracker
Each night you may target a player to track. You will get the names of any player they targeted or “{Player} did not visit anyone.”

Quote from: Vanilla Townie
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:20:36 am by LaLight »

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (pms are out. N0.)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 04:48:45 am »

pms are out. N0 starts now and ends when everyone confirms their roles but not earlier than in 24 hours.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 04:49:06 am »

Threade Lockede also.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 08:47:13 am »

/tag
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 10:32:00 am »

I'm watching too!

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 04:22:56 pm »

/tag
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 04:56:20 pm »

Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 05:48:08 pm »

/tag

You are in this game...?

He's tagging the thread so that he gets updates on it.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 06:06:25 pm »

/tag

You are in this game...?

He's tagging the thread so that he gets updates on it.

Ahkay, assumed it was a spectator QT request. Didn’t know that that kind of tag was a thing. I was confuzzled.

Carry on.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 06:13:38 am »

Waiting on 1 more confirmation

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 05:37:47 am »

It was a quiet wednesday morning. LaLight was sitting at his job, thinking what to do next (because clearly, work tasks take lower priority over basically anything else). Then he suddenly remembered.

"My god! I have a mafia game to open!"

Out of all the options he could have been doing right now, he decided to choose this one.

So here we are.

Day One has started!

Not voting (14): arishipshape, DatSwan, chairs, jotheonah, MiX, A Drowned Kernel, gkrieg13, mcmcsalot, Glooble, Galzria, faust, Joseph2302, SpaceAnemone, EFHW

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.
Day 1 ends Wednesday, 1st of May, at 5:30 ft.

Thread Unlocked.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
Re: M122: Lalight's run out of ideas Mafia (Day 1!)
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 05:50:07 am »

Hello everyone, allow me to introduce myself: I'm town, faust is town, gkrieg is scum, mcmc will win or be endgamed, arishipshape will be lynched D1 as Jester, Lyncher will win without protectecting anyone, Traitor will either get NKd or lynched, Godfather won't be copped, Tracked will be useless and Bodyguards will target each other.

As for votes, I want to do this:

Vote: arishipshape

Because I will not allow for him to lay low again. Prove your townieness!

First post!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 05:55:17 am »

Congrats MiX!

Setup is interesting. There are maybe things you could do on D1, I'm not sure they're going to be worth it, but I will give it some more thought.

For the moment, Vote: MiX for wanting to lynch the Jester over scum.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 06:15:22 am »

Hi everyone!

I have some thoughts about the setup but most of them fall under “I don’t want to make scum’s job easier by telling them what my assumptions will be so they can undermine them.” I will say think it’s more important than usual that we have a good amount of interaction day one simply because day two most of us are going to have to choose between two players, so having one or two townreads and one or two scumreads (often the position I’m in day two) might be totally useless, if none of them end up “fighting”.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 08:17:31 am »

Good morning everyone!

So the thought I had on the setup is that I think the town promoter (if they exist) should just claim off the bat. It would create a pseudo-IC and give us info on the setup without actually revealing anything to scum, and it isn't a PR that we're worried about scum knowing about since it's negative utility. So unless there's something that I'm missing, there's really no downside to them claiming.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 08:31:05 am »

Not sure it's negative utility...I believe It's crucial to corner scum D2, provided Promoter has good reads. However, it depends on the Promoter and their target's reads a tad bit too much...but remember that it can't be (easily) influenced by scum. Overall I like the idea of claiming.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 08:42:45 am »

Not sure it's negative utility...I believe It's crucial to corner scum D2, provided Promoter has good reads. However, it depends on the Promoter and their target's reads a tad bit too much...but remember that it can't be (easily) influenced by scum. Overall I like the idea of claiming.

It can't necessarily be influenced by scum but I would say that most people's day two reads are going to be, on average, bad.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 09:12:14 am »

Good morning everyone!

So the thought I had on the setup is that I think the town promoter (if they exist) should just claim off the bat. It would create a pseudo-IC and give us info on the setup without actually revealing anything to scum, and it isn't a PR that we're worried about scum knowing about since it's negative utility. So unless there's something that I'm missing, there's really no downside to them claiming.

How does it create a pseudo-IC? What stops the scum-aligned promoter from claiming town promoter?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 09:27:01 am »

Good morning everyone!

How does it create a pseudo-IC? What stops the scum-aligned promoter from claiming town promoter?

They would risk getting caught eventually if the traitor ever flips.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 10:10:53 am »

Vote: Space because of Real Life Mafia 1
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 10:11:01 am »

I'm the SK
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 10:20:56 am »

Vote: arishipshape
Because I will not allow for him to lay low again. Prove your townieness!
Bring it on, MiX! I entirely deserve this vote, after my performance last game. However, I got my wish this game. I'm the good guy.  8) For the record I totally did NOT lay low last game, at least day 1. Anyways, finger of suspicion on Joseph for claiming SK. Yes, yes, it was obviously sarcastic, blah blah blah. In my experience, at least with ten minute mafia, when you claim a scum role, it improves the chances that you are scum. Besides, townies shouldn't pull that crap. It's lost so many games in the past. Just don't lie as town. Period. There's already two bandwagons out, so I'm not gonna start a new one. Vote: MiX, because last time I did that, I won. And Faust rocks, so I'm gonna follow his lead. For now.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 10:31:38 am »

Apologies: when I said lay low, I meant exploit your newness to its full extent. Multiple bandwagons are absolutely town: just look how Promoter is negative utility precisely because it limits our options to two people. Also, you've seen town!Joseph do the exact same, yet you think it means they're more likely to be scum: why? I also believe town should be able to lie sometimes, it's sometimes useful and can blow the game wide open if they do it correctly.

What are your opinions on the current setup talk, that is, Promoter claim?

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 10:50:59 am »

Apologies: when I said lay low, I meant exploit your newness to its full extent. Multiple bandwagons are absolutely town: just look how Promoter is negative utility precisely because it limits our options to two people. Also, you've seen town!Joseph do the exact same, yet you think it means they're more likely to be scum: why? I also believe town should be able to lie sometimes, it's sometimes useful and can blow the game wide open if they do it correctly.

What are your opinions on the current setup talk, that is, Promoter claim?
Apology accepted. I won't be abusing my noob-ness this game. Wow. I can't believe I forgot about multiple wagons being optimal for town... I guess I'm less obsessed with town optimal-ness when I'm actually town. Vote:Joseph, because of my previously stated reasons and MiX reminding me that more wagons=good. I've seen town!Joseph claim scum, sure. On the whole, claiming scum, lying as town, crazy gambits, they sow confusion, discord, and strife. One of the best ways to town hunt is to find people that are utterly consistent. Lying makes it impossible to stay consistent: you have to backpedal. If all the towns always told the truth, the game would be much easier, as we would have 3 liars to deal with, instead of any number. I held this position last game, and I hold it this game. Lying hurts town.

I think, if promoter is such a negative town role, we should be hoping for the promoters death. We don't want to waste a lynch on it, ergo it falls to the mafia to accidentally kill them. Therefore, not claiming in the hopes of getting NKed would be best. On the other hand, I don't deny the power and utility granted by a clear (IC=clear, right?). This early in the game, unless the Promoter thinks that they are the best at this game and can run the entire show from here on, I don't see to much benefit from a clear. Later in the game, when the lynch pool shrinks, a clear would be convenient. TLDR, if the promoter thinks that they are awesome, claim and run the show. If not, try to get killed and spare some positive town role the death.

Tell me, Joseph, why do you claim SK? Obviously you don't actually mean your the SK... What's the point? To cause more confusion? Yes yes, I know there isn't even a SK in this setup. But why bother with lying? Is it some sort of tradition? Meta is a dangerous game.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68  All

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 19 queries.