Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Resolving Boons for Idol  (Read 2246 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Resolving Boons for Idol
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:29:33 pm »

We encountered a couple of instances where a player played an Idol and the Boon's text was not clear how to Resolve it.
I have only 3 examples, but the main question is the #2 question below on 'discard' is not required to be 'from my hand'.
I would be curious has to how to resolve these 3 examples and maybe someone can point out some other 'not so great Boons' for the Idol card.

this issues seems to be alluded to in this thread post by Donald X >>> http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18767.msg761033#msg761033

1. The Wind's Gift >>> +2 Cards.  Discard 2 cards.
(well the card was clear, but unless I drew Treasures, this Boon was useless? And if we drew any Treasures, I could then play them since I am still in the midst of my playing my Treasures, and have not bought anything yet)

2. The Earth's Gift >>> You may discard a Treasure to gain a card costing up to 4.
It does not say it could be from the player's hand, so does that mean I could discard one from Play (and thus not have that Treasure available in Play when I Buy a card?

3. The Field's Gift >>> +1 Action +$1 (Keep this until Clean-up.)
So does the +1 Action carry over to my next turn? Do I return to the Action phase? I do Play another action in my Buy phase now, then continue playing my Treasures?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Resolving Boons for Idol
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:44:12 pm »
+6

1. Yes; you can still play any treasures you drew, because you haven't bought anything yet. Drawing Victory cards is still good because it means they aren't in your next hand instead. Drawing actions is usually worthless, but with things like Villa, or Quest, it can still be helpful.

2. "Discard" always means from hand, unless it says otherwise. Just look at the wording on Cellar, Mill, Vault, etc...  they all tell you to discard cards; and none of them specify "from your hand". There's no reason a Boon would be any different.

3. Why would it do any of those things? Cards do what they say and nothing else.

Again, your questions can all be answered by simply doing exactly what the cards say, and not wondering if anything has any hidden meaning or functionality.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 06:39:09 pm »
+1

Just because sometimes the Boon's effect doesn't actually help you doesn't mean it isn't the right interpretation.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 08:11:20 pm »

1. Yes; you can still play any treasures you drew, because you haven't bought anything yet. Drawing Victory cards is still good because it means they aren't in your next hand instead. Drawing actions is usually worthless, but with things like Villa, or Quest, it can still be helpful.

2. "Discard" always means from hand, unless it says otherwise. Just look at the wording on Cellar, Mill, Vault, etc...  they all tell you to discard cards; and none of them specify "from your hand". There's no reason a Boon would be any different.

3. Why would it do any of those things? Cards do what they say and nothing else.

Again, your questions can all be answered by simply doing exactly what the cards say, and not wondering if anything has any hidden meaning or functionality.

I appreciate your clarifications and patience with my questions.  Yes it is clear I 'read more into the cards' than is there, but it a matter of not understand the definitions of what 'discard' means over all.

I was confusing 'trash' and 'discard' as trash usually specifies from your hand, but there are no cards that have 'discard from your hand' text.

On #3, I think we were realizing the same thing that Donald X has with Boons and Idols, that there are a few of them that are not very useful when playing an Idol..

Thanks.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:45 pm »
+1

it a matter of not understand the definitions of what 'discard' means over all.
That is spelled out explicitly in the rulebook:
"Discard" – unless otherwise specified, discarded cards are from the player’s hand.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 01:13:00 am »
+1

On #3, I think we were realizing the same thing that Donald X has with Boons and Idols, that there are a few of them that are not very useful when playing an Idol..
This was apparent from day one for Idol; the thing that I realized was that it bothered people too much to do it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 09:13:34 am »

I don't see how it's any different than playing a Smithy as your first action of the turn, and then realizing that you might draw actions that you can't play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.