Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Baba Is You  (Read 19032 times)

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: Baba Is You
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 11:35:41 pm »

I finished all the levels!  (Some of them I looked up hints for, but only after trying them myself for a while.)  Now I'm playing through user-generated custom levels and worlds.

I have the switch version and haven't been able to do that.  Seeing that you mention custom worlds, I was wondering, is "level" completely implemented in the custom worlds?

Yes, it is correctly implemented.  Many of the custom worlds use it, in fact.

There is one custom level pack available for both PC and Switch; it's called Unlicensed Hill.  I haven't played it myself yet.  Here is a link to a site where you can download the Switch version: https://gamebanana.com/maps/204920

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 12:55:49 am »

We're about 2/3 done, going by Sudgy's spoiler about the total number of levels. Currently stuck on level 7-extra, but moved on to other stuff for now; finished most of world 8.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 02:09:19 am »
+1

this game is too hard

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 06:23:57 am »

this game is too hard

Don't be scared to look up hints, or to ask for hints here.  If you're enjoying it, it would be a shame to get stuck everywhere and frustrated instead of being able to move on.  Are there specific levels you are stuck on right now that you want help with?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 09:12:26 am »

We're about 2/3 done, going by Sudgy's spoiler about the total number of levels. Currently stuck on level 7-extra, but moved on to other stuff for now; finished most of world 8.

I wouldn't say 2/3 done, because the later levels take so much longer than the earlier ones.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 06:45:17 pm »

Island-6 research facility

Aside from not being able to look at it and deduce it with logic, it seems like I have bruteforce attempted every sequence of moves that seems meaningfully different from the other ones, and I STILL can't clear it.  It's different from a really hard Hearthstone puzzle where there's N! options where it's kinda fun to get to goof around and try different angles, and even without taking notes I can eventuall remember "I tried healing northshire cleric BEFORE using power word shield twice already i've exhausted that"
Here stuff is kind of abstract and positional and it's like, "I move that block left but was I lightning bolt or a baba at the time that that happened" and I can't actually even brute force which is already a fail state for a puzzle game if it has to be the resort too often

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 12:47:58 am »

Island-6 research facility

Aside from not being able to look at it and deduce it with logic, it seems like I have bruteforce attempted every sequence of moves that seems meaningfully different from the other ones, and I STILL can't clear it.  It's different from a really hard Hearthstone puzzle where there's N! options where it's kinda fun to get to goof around and try different angles, and even without taking notes I can eventually remember "I tried healing northshire cleric BEFORE using power word shield twice already i've exhausted that"
Here stuff is kind of abstract and positional and it's like, "I move that block left but was I lightning bolt or a baba at the time that that happened" and I can't actually even brute force which is already a fail state for a puzzle game if it has to be the resort too often

Yes, that level was one that I was stuck on for a while as well.

So the eventual win condition is getting Baba below the bottom skull.  If you can manage that, then you will be able to push out the Win block and win the level.  You can get most of the way there, but that pushes the Defeat block and forms Skull Is Defeat, blocking you from progressing further.  If you push it farther than that, you'll break Baba Is You and lose.  Meanwhile the bolt can't even reach the first phrase because it melts when it hits the skulls.

Hint 1: If you could make the skull be neither Hot nor Defeat, this puzzle would be easy.

Hint 2: Baba can do things while the bolt is moving.

Hint 3: If the skull weren't Hot, the bolt could go farther into the corridors.

Solution: Create Bolt Is Move with the bolt heading into the top corridor, then race it with Baba in the bottom corridor to break Skull Is Hot before the bolt gets to the skull.  The bolt will break Skull Is Defeat, allowing Baba to reach the Win block from behind.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 04:31:35 pm »

After getting stuck weeks ago, I went back today, intending to ask for hints when i still don't get further.

But then I managed to clear a couple of levels i wasnt able to before.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 04:50:24 pm »

Stuck on 2 different levels at the moment; plan to ask for hints soon, but don't know the level names.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 09:24:00 pm »
+2

I did the thing! with hint 1

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 11:29:32 am »

Ok, hint me... preferably very minor hints; I really want to be able to solve these as much on my own (my and my wife's own) as possible, but also don't want to waste hours going down the wrong path.

World 7; Out at Sea - You seemingly need to push both Lava and Ice at the same time; but it's almost obvious that you can't do both at once. The entire puzzle seems to be how to get Lava on to Box. Our thoughts...

Turning Ice into Text is nice because then you can push Lava and Text-Ice at the same time. Then it would just be a matter of turning the Text-Ice back into regular Ice at the right time. But that really doesn't work, because to open the door with Ice, you have to push Ice into the door... so "Ice Is Push" seems to be a hard requirement.

A good hint here might just tell us whether or not we're at all on the right track with the above thinking. Another thing we are unsure about is whether or not we need to put some words through the belt area to make new sentences on the other side. It seems like you would have to, because you need to change what sentences exist after being on the other side, but on the other hand. there isn't room in that tiny room to put more than 2 words/things.

World 8; Automated Doors

Our thoughts on this one...

Make "Box Is You" in the upper room. Use Box to push "Not" onto the belt to get it into that room. Move Box to lower room; and make "Box Is Word" while Box is next to "Is Flag". Now you have a Flag. Just make "Not Box Is You", and you would win, because you would be Flag while Flag Is Win. Only problem is, it is seemingly impossible to get Not off of the edge where it first entered the upper room. And it can't be used from its current location. Another reason I suspect that this isn't the solution is that it doesn't make any use of any of the text in "Wall Is Stop"... that text could just be a red herring of course, but it seems like based on most of the level design we've seen, if you didn't need to use any of that Text, then "Wall Is Stop" just would have been off into a corner where you can't access it at all. We know you can make "Wall Is Word", but I can't think of any sentence you could make with "Wall" that would actually be helpful; even if you had no location restrictions on what sentences you could make.

Again, it would be great to know if our line of thought is at all in the right direction. I feel like we've spent a lot of time just trying to move the "Not"; but we've also tried to think of different things.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:32:15 am by GendoIkari »

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 01:15:28 pm »

Ok, hint me... preferably very minor hints; I really want to be able to solve these as much on my own (my and my wife's own) as possible, but also don't want to waste hours going down the wrong path.

World 7; Out at Sea - You seemingly need to push both Lava and Ice at the same time; but it's almost obvious that you can't do both at once. The entire puzzle seems to be how to get Lava on to Box. Our thoughts...

Turning Ice into Text is nice because then you can push Lava and Text-Ice at the same time. Then it would just be a matter of turning the Text-Ice back into regular Ice at the right time. But that really doesn't work, because to open the door with Ice, you have to push Ice into the door... so "Ice Is Push" seems to be a hard requirement.

A good hint here might just tell us whether or not we're at all on the right track with the above thinking. Another thing we are unsure about is whether or not we need to put some words through the belt area to make new sentences on the other side. It seems like you would have to, because you need to change what sentences exist after being on the other side, but on the other hand. there isn't room in that tiny room to put more than 2 words/things.

World 8; Automated Doors

Our thoughts on this one...

Make "Box Is You" in the upper room. Use Box to push "Not" onto the belt to get it into that room. Move Box to lower room; and make "Box Is Word" while Box is next to "Is Flag". Now you have a Flag. Just make "Not Box Is You", and you would win, because you would be Flag while Flag Is Win. Only problem is, it is seemingly impossible to get Not off of the edge where it first entered the upper room. And it can't be used from its current location. Another reason I suspect that this isn't the solution is that it doesn't make any use of any of the text in "Wall Is Stop"... that text could just be a red herring of course, but it seems like based on most of the level design we've seen, if you didn't need to use any of that Text, then "Wall Is Stop" just would have been off into a corner where you can't access it at all. We know you can make "Wall Is Word", but I can't think of any sentence you could make with "Wall" that would actually be helpful; even if you had no location restrictions on what sentences you could make.

Again, it would be great to know if our line of thought is at all in the right direction. I feel like we've spent a lot of time just trying to move the "Not"; but we've also tried to think of different things.

Garden-Out at Sea:  I'll answer your second question: you will not need to make any new sentences after crossing the belt yourself.

Chasm-Automated Doors: you are right about the level design - you will need to use the text in Wall is Stop.

I don't think those hints spoil too much.  Let me know if they did, or if they were too vague and you want more.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 01:58:15 pm »

Garden-Out at Sea:  I'll answer your second question: you will not need to make any new sentences after crossing the belt yourself.

Chasm-Automated Doors: you are right about the level design - you will need to use the text in Wall is Stop.

I don't think those hints spoil too much.  Let me know if they did, or if they were too vague and you want more.

Those both sound like great level hints. The idea is we still have to work at figuring out the answer, but we don't have to waste a bunch of time going down a completely wrong path. I'll get back to you after I get a chance to play again. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:01:32 pm by GendoIkari »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 09:39:58 am »

Those both sound like great level hints. The idea is we still have to work at figuring out the answer, but we don't have to waste a bunch of time going down a completely wrong path. I'll get back to you after I get a chance to play again. Thanks!

Solved both pretty quickly! The hints basically just forced me to go back to questions that I had previously been asking, but somewhat dismissed as "that's not possible, so I should look for a different way". Those questions being:

Garden-Out at Sea:
How can I push both Lava and Ice at the same time?

Chasm-Automated Doors:
How can I make a useful sentence out of the fact that I have "Wall Is Word"?

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 06:57:29 pm »
+1

Solved both pretty quickly! The hints basically just forced me to go back to questions that I had previously been asking, but somewhat dismissed as "that's not possible, so I should look for a different way". Those questions being:

Garden-Out at Sea:
How can I push both Lava and Ice at the same time?

Chasm-Automated Doors:
How can I make a useful sentence out of the fact that I have "Wall Is Word"?

Lots of levels in Baba is You tend to be like that, especially later in the game.  There are lots of things we assume are impossible and move on to other thought processes, but many times the solution relies on one of them not actually being impossible.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 12:43:41 pm »
+2

Had a fun moment in Mountain - Floatier Platforms (or was it Floatist?)... I basically solved the puzzle but didn't realize I had, until very suddenly after another 30 minutes of trying other things; realized that I already had it before.

While messing around with different options, at one point I built the horizontal rock bridge, and used the 3 words to let one Baba move closer to the other. Even to the point of overlapping them. I thought "hey, this seems useful, because now by Babas aren't the same distance apart anymore. But too bad that I had to use all of my words and rocks to do it, because no I can't possibly access the key or the door. Oh well, back to square one". Then later while thinking "I wonder if there's anything other than the rocks that I could stand on... hmm, no, there's no other objects available. I mean there's the other Baba, but what good would that".... then BAM, there it was.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2019, 10:51:57 am »

Help! On level ??? - 6: Parade. No ideas left.

I’ve had 2 different lines of thought so far. 1:

Make Me Is Keke for a few moves; then Keke is Skull (or Me). This gets the Keke on the right halfway there. Using Bug somehow, move into the upper-left and get that Keke back to the right to get more time. Make them Keke again; win. The best I can do with this seems to be  needing 2 more moves/time than I have.

2:
Move into the upper left while Keke Is Skull Is Keke. This gives Keke only half of the time. Make Bug also Skull/Keke.  Push all of Baba Is You to the left one space. Get both Kekes that are there to the middle row where they can’t do more damage. With this, I seem to be 1 move too slow to get to one of the Skull/Keke in time to swap it to the “Is” row. 

Are either of these lines of thinking on the right path? Or do I need to think of something completely different?

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2019, 12:23:47 pm »

Help! On level ??? - 6: Parade. No ideas left.

I’ve had 2 different lines of thought so far. 1:

Make Me Is Keke for a few moves; then Keke is Skull (or Me). This gets the Keke on the right halfway there. Using Bug somehow, move into the upper-left and get that Keke back to the right to get more time. Make them Keke again; win. The best I can do with this seems to be  needing 2 more moves/time than I have.

2:
Move into the upper left while Keke Is Skull Is Keke. This gives Keke only half of the time. Make Bug also Skull/Keke.  Push all of Baba Is You to the left one space. Get both Kekes that are there to the middle row where they can’t do more damage. With this, I seem to be 1 move too slow to get to one of the Skull/Keke in time to swap it to the “Is” row. 

Are either of these lines of thinking on the right path? Or do I need to think of something completely different?

I have heard of other people who managed to solve it with something like your second way, but I haven't seen their solutions spelled out so I don't know how close you are.

I did it a completely different way, but the easiest way to get close to my solution is to leave Parade unfinished and come back after you have found and completed the level called "Fireplace", which is much easier and teaches the trick I used.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2019, 05:46:04 pm »

Thanks! But to get to that hint we need a hint for Depths 3: Crushers. Beating the level is easy enough. But we got nothing in terms of making something of Level.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2019, 05:47:32 pm »

Thanks! But to get to that hint we need a hint for Depths 3: Crushers. Beating the level is easy enough. But we got nothing in terms of making something of Level.

One of my brothers considers that level the hardest in the game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 12:02:57 am »

One of my brothers considers that level the hardest in the game.

Ended up looking at a couple hints online; really what did it for us was the hint that you need to combine text. I wish we'd been able to do that one without that hint, but oh well.

Math's hint worked out well once we got to the other level. It was one of those things though where the solution in Parade wasn't at all something that we would have thought would work and had to spend a minute after winning to watch and see how and why it was actually working.

Anyway, I think just one level left in Depths, level 5; and then 8-10 in ??? and then who knows.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 12:53:09 am »

???

Try saying ??? instead of ??? to dodge the confused face (quote this post to see what I'm saying).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2019, 09:08:10 am »

Alternatively, you can say ??? to dodge the confused face (quote this post to see what I'm saying).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2019, 11:28:52 am »

???

Try saying ??? instead of ??? to dodge the confused face (quote this post to see what I'm saying).

I knew about the "Don't use smileys" option, but figured that since the area name was just literally "???"; the confused face was appropriate.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2019, 12:19:46 am »

I love and hate this game. Been staying up way too late the past several nights; just not wanting to quit while stuck on a puzzle. So frustrating. And fun. We're getting close to the end though!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.