Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Baba Is You  (Read 19046 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Baba Is You
« on: March 30, 2019, 02:22:12 am »
+7

Baba Is You is a block-pushing puzzle game. The twist is that the rules of the puzzle are also blocks that can be pushed around.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736260/Baba_Is_You/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/baba-is-you-switch

I just picked up the game so I'm not too far into it, but so far it's great. The twist is fresh and the puzzle design is based around insight, so when I get stuck on a puzzle, I afterwards feel silly for not seeing the obvious solution.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Baba Is You
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 12:41:55 pm »
+6

Baba Is You is a block-pushing puzzle game. The twist is that the rules of the puzzle are also blocks that can be pushed around.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736260/Baba_Is_You/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/baba-is-you-switch

I just picked up the game so I'm not too far into it, but so far it's great. The twist is fresh and the puzzle design is based around insight, so when I get stuck on a puzzle, I afterwards feel silly for not seeing the obvious solution.

Hoo boy, let me tell you, later on you'll get stuck on a puzzle for hours and then not feel silly because the solution is crazy.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 12:53:43 pm »

I just tried this at a friend's house and it's awesome.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 01:08:55 am »
+1

I just picked it up and confirm that it's really cool. I don't usually like block-pushing games but Baba is You is something else entirely.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 06:03:50 am »
+1

Woah, it's out? Note to self, buy this soon
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 01:44:10 pm »
+1

Welp, that's on my radar.  If I could only stop playing Slay the Spire for a second.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:51:18 pm »
+3

So, I picked this up. Played through all the tutorial puzzles, and was like "wow this game is awesome, though the puzzles don't seem like they can get THAT hard".

Now gotten up to about the fourth or fifth area and have been stuck on single puzzles for 30+ minutes at times. Bloody hell, this game gets crazy difficult and I kind of love it because the puzzles feel so satisfying when you finish them. The solutions are often pretty simple in many ways as well but require you to really understand the game mechanics and rules. Like "Broken Playground" was a really creative puzzle to solve.

I'm currently stuck on one of the bonus puzzles in I think the 2nd section. Small Pond or something it was called. I'm sure there's a creative answer here but damn, I just can't make that Win block into a rule. I'm pretty sure if I could turn all of Baba, Flag and Key into the same thing (any of the three, they're interchangeable) I could solve the puzzle, but that doesn't seem possible without breaking the "is You" part of the rules...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:52:21 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 10:14:38 pm »
+1

So, I picked this up. Played through all the tutorial puzzles, and was like "wow this game is awesome, though the puzzles don't seem like they can get THAT hard".

Now gotten up to about the fourth or fifth area and have been stuck on single puzzles for 30+ minutes at times. Bloody hell, this game gets crazy difficult and I kind of love it because the puzzles feel so satisfying when you finish them. The solutions are often pretty simple in many ways as well but require you to really understand the game mechanics and rules. Like "Broken Playground" was a really creative puzzle to solve.

I'm currently stuck on one of the bonus puzzles in I think the 2nd section. Small Pond or something it was called. I'm sure there's a creative answer here but damn, I just can't make that Win block into a rule. I'm pretty sure if I could turn all of Baba, Flag and Key into the same thing (any of the three, they're interchangeable) I could solve the puzzle, but that doesn't seem possible without breaking the "is You" part of the rules...

I think the level you are referring to is Tiny Isle. If so:

Hint 1: You don't need to turn all three of the nouns into the same thing.
Hint 2: You don't need to move the WIN block.
Hint 3 (probably gives it away): Whatever is WIN will also have another property.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 04:33:53 pm »

It is Tiny Isle, yes. I'd actually more or less worked out all of those hints, but it's putting it together that's stumping me. Here's what I think is true:

1) I need to make the rule [Object] is You and Win, vertically
2) It is impossible to make a horizontal "is you" rule, because you can't move around the You rule.
3) You need two of the same object to move the vertical [Object is you] rule so you can push the "Is" and "You" at the same time.

It's where to go from there that's stumping me really. With only 5 blocks of space above the lake, I can't make "[Object] is you and open" to open the lake from above, and still be able to move the "Is You" part downwards without breaking that rule. Above is the only direction I can go because of having only the single Is. So clearly there is something clever to do here that I haven't yet worked out.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 04:55:32 pm »
+1

It is Tiny Isle, yes. I'd actually more or less worked out all of those hints, but it's putting it together that's stumping me. Here's what I think is true:

1) I need to make the rule [Object] is You and Win, vertically
2) It is impossible to make a horizontal "is you" rule, because you can't move around the You rule.
3) You need two of the same object to move the vertical [Object is you] rule so you can push the "Is" and "You" at the same time.

It's where to go from there that's stumping me really. With only 5 blocks of space above the lake, I can't make "[Object] is you and open" to open the lake from above, and still be able to move the "Is You" part downwards without breaking that rule. Above is the only direction I can go because of having only the single Is. So clearly there is something clever to do here that I haven't yet worked out.

I was about to tell you that I was in the exact same step of the thought process as you and stuck as well, and I was writing that out it clicked and I solved it. So thanks, although I doubt that reduces your frustration.

To throw in my hint in the basket (take at your own risk, I'm not good at evaluating the usefulness of hints): I solved the puzzle the moment I abandoned at least one of your assumptions (1) (2) or (3). One of those assumptions isn't true and was leading me to a dead end.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »
+2

Hmmm... may look at that again tomorrow, this one is definitely a tough one despite its apparent simpleness.

Edit: I was lying in bed when an idea came to me on what could be done. Jumped out of bed, grabbed the switch and had the puzzle completed in about 2 minutes! God I hate this game. I love this game.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:48:22 pm by Tables »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 10:46:28 am »

Started this last night. Went through the first 2 areas or so. But the map and level order is confusing; so I'm not sure which area number I'm on.

Currently stuck on a puzzle; first one that's taken more than a few minutes.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 10:54:02 am »

I finally finished all 223 levels yesterday!

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 01:25:16 pm »

I started this yesterday, and I'm having fun with it so far.  I'm stuck on at least 15 different puzzles right now, so I'm doing a mix of exploring new ground and reattempting old ones.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 10:41:07 pm »

So glad to be doing this with my wife and not alone. Both because 2 eyes are better than 1, and because she sees me to be better than I am at them as a whole. Just finished the third sub-area. Things are getting crazy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 04:26:29 pm »

A few complaints about the maps / level layout.

What's with the map? I find it very confusing to have the "main screen" be simultaneously an overworld linking to different areas, as well as an area itself with its own levels.

After getting the minimum number of levels to get the flower-thingy from 3 different sub-levels; that unlocked a new level on the main map, which looks kind of like it would be the final level. But there's still 2 more locked things that I need (I think) 5 and 7 flower-thingies to unlock. So I don't quite get the point of unlocking a new new things when you get certain numbers of flowers, when there are still lots of other levels already unlocked but not yet completed.

And then within each area, you have levels get unlocked in a seemingly random order. Like you can do some levels when you first enter the area, but other ones are only unlocked after you complete certain earlier ones. And then some levels have a dot-icon instead of a number... I guess these are like "bonus" levels that are usually a different version of another level. But in at least one of the areas, there's a bunch of levels with letters instead of numbers. What makes these special or different? What not just have them all numbered?

It doesn't really matter because we're just working through each area to complete every level in the area before moving on. It's just weird though. Is there a clear explanation of how the level unlocking and different areas makes sense?

No spoilers please; as I understand that there may be some bigger things at play once I get further; where maybe all this stuff will be it's own sort of thing that makes sense.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 07:51:44 pm »
+1

In regards to the level with "end" in it, I think he just wanted to make it easy to beat the game.  Small spoiler: There are other endings that are much, much harder to get to.  In regards to the level unlocking, the dotted levels are definitely bonus/secret levels, but I do agree that the order of unlocking was weird.  I'm not quite sure what the lettering was.  Large spoiler: The main screen being simultaneously an overworld/world is definitely something that makes sense as time goes on.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:13 pm »

The second level of the water world is like impossible.

It's not necessarily what is blocking me off but it bothers me that strings that out to work like "You is win" doesn't actually work.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 10:55:02 pm »
+2

The second level of the water world is like impossible.

It's not necessarily what is blocking me off but it bothers me that strings that out to work like "You is win" doesn't actually work.

There are "nouns" (Baba, Keke, Flag, etc.) and "predicates" (You, Win, Push, etc.).  While a noun can be on either side of a phrase, a predicate has to be on the end.  The predicates are in boxes.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 12:00:07 am »

Ok i beat that level but now this new level has an immobile "wall is blockage" and walls around a flag and absolutely nothing but six blocks, "Flag is win Baba is you".  I tried every effing combination there's not that many with six blocks and nothing does anything???????  Also, if you can win with just "flag is win; baba is you" with some weird tautology isn't every level beatable with whatever strategy beats that??

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 03:01:47 pm »

Also, if you can win with just "flag is win; baba is you" with some weird tautology isn't every level beatable with whatever strategy beats that??

I’m confused; what do you mean by this? Every level is beatable; but many of them require things other than getting Baba to the flag.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 01:48:20 am »

I did finally figure it out, and the solution was indeed a zen style "baba is you and baba is win" or something like that.

Some levels just don't let you move the win or you block around that freely, that's the thing I guess.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 09:51:15 am »

I did finally figure it out, and the solution was indeed a zen style "baba is you and baba is win" or something like that.

Some levels just don't let you move the win or you block around that freely, that's the thing I guess.

Yeah, several levels require very non-straightforward thinking. Often the puzzle is as much figuring out what the win condition looks like as often as it is figuring out how to get there.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 10:04:04 pm »

I finished all the levels!  (Some of them I looked up hints for, but only after trying them myself for a while.)  Now I'm playing through user-generated custom levels and worlds.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 10:39:51 pm »

I finished all the levels!  (Some of them I looked up hints for, but only after trying them myself for a while.)  Now I'm playing through user-generated custom levels and worlds.

I have the switch version and haven't been able to do that.  Seeing that you mention custom worlds, I was wondering, is "level" completely implemented in the custom worlds?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.