Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Baba Is You  (Read 19049 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Baba Is You
« on: March 30, 2019, 02:22:12 am »
+7

Baba Is You is a block-pushing puzzle game. The twist is that the rules of the puzzle are also blocks that can be pushed around.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736260/Baba_Is_You/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/baba-is-you-switch

I just picked up the game so I'm not too far into it, but so far it's great. The twist is fresh and the puzzle design is based around insight, so when I get stuck on a puzzle, I afterwards feel silly for not seeing the obvious solution.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Baba Is You
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 12:41:55 pm »
+6

Baba Is You is a block-pushing puzzle game. The twist is that the rules of the puzzle are also blocks that can be pushed around.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736260/Baba_Is_You/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/baba-is-you-switch

I just picked up the game so I'm not too far into it, but so far it's great. The twist is fresh and the puzzle design is based around insight, so when I get stuck on a puzzle, I afterwards feel silly for not seeing the obvious solution.

Hoo boy, let me tell you, later on you'll get stuck on a puzzle for hours and then not feel silly because the solution is crazy.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 12:53:43 pm »

I just tried this at a friend's house and it's awesome.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 01:08:55 am »
+1

I just picked it up and confirm that it's really cool. I don't usually like block-pushing games but Baba is You is something else entirely.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 06:03:50 am »
+1

Woah, it's out? Note to self, buy this soon
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 01:44:10 pm »
+1

Welp, that's on my radar.  If I could only stop playing Slay the Spire for a second.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:51:18 pm »
+3

So, I picked this up. Played through all the tutorial puzzles, and was like "wow this game is awesome, though the puzzles don't seem like they can get THAT hard".

Now gotten up to about the fourth or fifth area and have been stuck on single puzzles for 30+ minutes at times. Bloody hell, this game gets crazy difficult and I kind of love it because the puzzles feel so satisfying when you finish them. The solutions are often pretty simple in many ways as well but require you to really understand the game mechanics and rules. Like "Broken Playground" was a really creative puzzle to solve.

I'm currently stuck on one of the bonus puzzles in I think the 2nd section. Small Pond or something it was called. I'm sure there's a creative answer here but damn, I just can't make that Win block into a rule. I'm pretty sure if I could turn all of Baba, Flag and Key into the same thing (any of the three, they're interchangeable) I could solve the puzzle, but that doesn't seem possible without breaking the "is You" part of the rules...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:52:21 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 10:14:38 pm »
+1

So, I picked this up. Played through all the tutorial puzzles, and was like "wow this game is awesome, though the puzzles don't seem like they can get THAT hard".

Now gotten up to about the fourth or fifth area and have been stuck on single puzzles for 30+ minutes at times. Bloody hell, this game gets crazy difficult and I kind of love it because the puzzles feel so satisfying when you finish them. The solutions are often pretty simple in many ways as well but require you to really understand the game mechanics and rules. Like "Broken Playground" was a really creative puzzle to solve.

I'm currently stuck on one of the bonus puzzles in I think the 2nd section. Small Pond or something it was called. I'm sure there's a creative answer here but damn, I just can't make that Win block into a rule. I'm pretty sure if I could turn all of Baba, Flag and Key into the same thing (any of the three, they're interchangeable) I could solve the puzzle, but that doesn't seem possible without breaking the "is You" part of the rules...

I think the level you are referring to is Tiny Isle. If so:

Hint 1: You don't need to turn all three of the nouns into the same thing.
Hint 2: You don't need to move the WIN block.
Hint 3 (probably gives it away): Whatever is WIN will also have another property.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 04:33:53 pm »

It is Tiny Isle, yes. I'd actually more or less worked out all of those hints, but it's putting it together that's stumping me. Here's what I think is true:

1) I need to make the rule [Object] is You and Win, vertically
2) It is impossible to make a horizontal "is you" rule, because you can't move around the You rule.
3) You need two of the same object to move the vertical [Object is you] rule so you can push the "Is" and "You" at the same time.

It's where to go from there that's stumping me really. With only 5 blocks of space above the lake, I can't make "[Object] is you and open" to open the lake from above, and still be able to move the "Is You" part downwards without breaking that rule. Above is the only direction I can go because of having only the single Is. So clearly there is something clever to do here that I haven't yet worked out.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 04:55:32 pm »
+1

It is Tiny Isle, yes. I'd actually more or less worked out all of those hints, but it's putting it together that's stumping me. Here's what I think is true:

1) I need to make the rule [Object] is You and Win, vertically
2) It is impossible to make a horizontal "is you" rule, because you can't move around the You rule.
3) You need two of the same object to move the vertical [Object is you] rule so you can push the "Is" and "You" at the same time.

It's where to go from there that's stumping me really. With only 5 blocks of space above the lake, I can't make "[Object] is you and open" to open the lake from above, and still be able to move the "Is You" part downwards without breaking that rule. Above is the only direction I can go because of having only the single Is. So clearly there is something clever to do here that I haven't yet worked out.

I was about to tell you that I was in the exact same step of the thought process as you and stuck as well, and I was writing that out it clicked and I solved it. So thanks, although I doubt that reduces your frustration.

To throw in my hint in the basket (take at your own risk, I'm not good at evaluating the usefulness of hints): I solved the puzzle the moment I abandoned at least one of your assumptions (1) (2) or (3). One of those assumptions isn't true and was leading me to a dead end.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »
+2

Hmmm... may look at that again tomorrow, this one is definitely a tough one despite its apparent simpleness.

Edit: I was lying in bed when an idea came to me on what could be done. Jumped out of bed, grabbed the switch and had the puzzle completed in about 2 minutes! God I hate this game. I love this game.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:48:22 pm by Tables »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 10:46:28 am »

Started this last night. Went through the first 2 areas or so. But the map and level order is confusing; so I'm not sure which area number I'm on.

Currently stuck on a puzzle; first one that's taken more than a few minutes.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 10:54:02 am »

I finally finished all 223 levels yesterday!

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 01:25:16 pm »

I started this yesterday, and I'm having fun with it so far.  I'm stuck on at least 15 different puzzles right now, so I'm doing a mix of exploring new ground and reattempting old ones.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 10:41:07 pm »

So glad to be doing this with my wife and not alone. Both because 2 eyes are better than 1, and because she sees me to be better than I am at them as a whole. Just finished the third sub-area. Things are getting crazy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 04:26:29 pm »

A few complaints about the maps / level layout.

What's with the map? I find it very confusing to have the "main screen" be simultaneously an overworld linking to different areas, as well as an area itself with its own levels.

After getting the minimum number of levels to get the flower-thingy from 3 different sub-levels; that unlocked a new level on the main map, which looks kind of like it would be the final level. But there's still 2 more locked things that I need (I think) 5 and 7 flower-thingies to unlock. So I don't quite get the point of unlocking a new new things when you get certain numbers of flowers, when there are still lots of other levels already unlocked but not yet completed.

And then within each area, you have levels get unlocked in a seemingly random order. Like you can do some levels when you first enter the area, but other ones are only unlocked after you complete certain earlier ones. And then some levels have a dot-icon instead of a number... I guess these are like "bonus" levels that are usually a different version of another level. But in at least one of the areas, there's a bunch of levels with letters instead of numbers. What makes these special or different? What not just have them all numbered?

It doesn't really matter because we're just working through each area to complete every level in the area before moving on. It's just weird though. Is there a clear explanation of how the level unlocking and different areas makes sense?

No spoilers please; as I understand that there may be some bigger things at play once I get further; where maybe all this stuff will be it's own sort of thing that makes sense.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 07:51:44 pm »
+1

In regards to the level with "end" in it, I think he just wanted to make it easy to beat the game.  Small spoiler: There are other endings that are much, much harder to get to.  In regards to the level unlocking, the dotted levels are definitely bonus/secret levels, but I do agree that the order of unlocking was weird.  I'm not quite sure what the lettering was.  Large spoiler: The main screen being simultaneously an overworld/world is definitely something that makes sense as time goes on.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:13 pm »

The second level of the water world is like impossible.

It's not necessarily what is blocking me off but it bothers me that strings that out to work like "You is win" doesn't actually work.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 10:55:02 pm »
+2

The second level of the water world is like impossible.

It's not necessarily what is blocking me off but it bothers me that strings that out to work like "You is win" doesn't actually work.

There are "nouns" (Baba, Keke, Flag, etc.) and "predicates" (You, Win, Push, etc.).  While a noun can be on either side of a phrase, a predicate has to be on the end.  The predicates are in boxes.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 12:00:07 am »

Ok i beat that level but now this new level has an immobile "wall is blockage" and walls around a flag and absolutely nothing but six blocks, "Flag is win Baba is you".  I tried every effing combination there's not that many with six blocks and nothing does anything???????  Also, if you can win with just "flag is win; baba is you" with some weird tautology isn't every level beatable with whatever strategy beats that??

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 03:01:47 pm »

Also, if you can win with just "flag is win; baba is you" with some weird tautology isn't every level beatable with whatever strategy beats that??

I’m confused; what do you mean by this? Every level is beatable; but many of them require things other than getting Baba to the flag.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 01:48:20 am »

I did finally figure it out, and the solution was indeed a zen style "baba is you and baba is win" or something like that.

Some levels just don't let you move the win or you block around that freely, that's the thing I guess.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 09:51:15 am »

I did finally figure it out, and the solution was indeed a zen style "baba is you and baba is win" or something like that.

Some levels just don't let you move the win or you block around that freely, that's the thing I guess.

Yeah, several levels require very non-straightforward thinking. Often the puzzle is as much figuring out what the win condition looks like as often as it is figuring out how to get there.

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 10:04:04 pm »

I finished all the levels!  (Some of them I looked up hints for, but only after trying them myself for a while.)  Now I'm playing through user-generated custom levels and worlds.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 10:39:51 pm »

I finished all the levels!  (Some of them I looked up hints for, but only after trying them myself for a while.)  Now I'm playing through user-generated custom levels and worlds.

I have the switch version and haven't been able to do that.  Seeing that you mention custom worlds, I was wondering, is "level" completely implemented in the custom worlds?

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 11:35:41 pm »

I have the switch version and haven't been able to do that.  Seeing that you mention custom worlds, I was wondering, is "level" completely implemented in the custom worlds?

Yes, it is correctly implemented.  Many of the custom worlds use it, in fact.

There is one custom level pack available for both PC and Switch; it's called Unlicensed Hill.  I haven't played it myself yet.  Here is a link to a site where you can download the Switch version: https://gamebanana.com/maps/204920

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 12:55:49 am »

We're about 2/3 done, going by Sudgy's spoiler about the total number of levels. Currently stuck on level 7-extra, but moved on to other stuff for now; finished most of world 8.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 02:09:19 am »
+1

this game is too hard

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 06:23:57 am »

this game is too hard

Don't be scared to look up hints, or to ask for hints here.  If you're enjoying it, it would be a shame to get stuck everywhere and frustrated instead of being able to move on.  Are there specific levels you are stuck on right now that you want help with?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 09:12:26 am »

We're about 2/3 done, going by Sudgy's spoiler about the total number of levels. Currently stuck on level 7-extra, but moved on to other stuff for now; finished most of world 8.

I wouldn't say 2/3 done, because the later levels take so much longer than the earlier ones.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 06:45:17 pm »

Island-6 research facility

Aside from not being able to look at it and deduce it with logic, it seems like I have bruteforce attempted every sequence of moves that seems meaningfully different from the other ones, and I STILL can't clear it.  It's different from a really hard Hearthstone puzzle where there's N! options where it's kinda fun to get to goof around and try different angles, and even without taking notes I can eventuall remember "I tried healing northshire cleric BEFORE using power word shield twice already i've exhausted that"
Here stuff is kind of abstract and positional and it's like, "I move that block left but was I lightning bolt or a baba at the time that that happened" and I can't actually even brute force which is already a fail state for a puzzle game if it has to be the resort too often

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 12:47:58 am »

Island-6 research facility

Aside from not being able to look at it and deduce it with logic, it seems like I have bruteforce attempted every sequence of moves that seems meaningfully different from the other ones, and I STILL can't clear it.  It's different from a really hard Hearthstone puzzle where there's N! options where it's kinda fun to get to goof around and try different angles, and even without taking notes I can eventually remember "I tried healing northshire cleric BEFORE using power word shield twice already i've exhausted that"
Here stuff is kind of abstract and positional and it's like, "I move that block left but was I lightning bolt or a baba at the time that that happened" and I can't actually even brute force which is already a fail state for a puzzle game if it has to be the resort too often

Yes, that level was one that I was stuck on for a while as well.

So the eventual win condition is getting Baba below the bottom skull.  If you can manage that, then you will be able to push out the Win block and win the level.  You can get most of the way there, but that pushes the Defeat block and forms Skull Is Defeat, blocking you from progressing further.  If you push it farther than that, you'll break Baba Is You and lose.  Meanwhile the bolt can't even reach the first phrase because it melts when it hits the skulls.

Hint 1: If you could make the skull be neither Hot nor Defeat, this puzzle would be easy.

Hint 2: Baba can do things while the bolt is moving.

Hint 3: If the skull weren't Hot, the bolt could go farther into the corridors.

Solution: Create Bolt Is Move with the bolt heading into the top corridor, then race it with Baba in the bottom corridor to break Skull Is Hot before the bolt gets to the skull.  The bolt will break Skull Is Defeat, allowing Baba to reach the Win block from behind.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 04:31:35 pm »

After getting stuck weeks ago, I went back today, intending to ask for hints when i still don't get further.

But then I managed to clear a couple of levels i wasnt able to before.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 04:50:24 pm »

Stuck on 2 different levels at the moment; plan to ask for hints soon, but don't know the level names.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 09:24:00 pm »
+2

I did the thing! with hint 1

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 11:29:32 am »

Ok, hint me... preferably very minor hints; I really want to be able to solve these as much on my own (my and my wife's own) as possible, but also don't want to waste hours going down the wrong path.

World 7; Out at Sea - You seemingly need to push both Lava and Ice at the same time; but it's almost obvious that you can't do both at once. The entire puzzle seems to be how to get Lava on to Box. Our thoughts...

Turning Ice into Text is nice because then you can push Lava and Text-Ice at the same time. Then it would just be a matter of turning the Text-Ice back into regular Ice at the right time. But that really doesn't work, because to open the door with Ice, you have to push Ice into the door... so "Ice Is Push" seems to be a hard requirement.

A good hint here might just tell us whether or not we're at all on the right track with the above thinking. Another thing we are unsure about is whether or not we need to put some words through the belt area to make new sentences on the other side. It seems like you would have to, because you need to change what sentences exist after being on the other side, but on the other hand. there isn't room in that tiny room to put more than 2 words/things.

World 8; Automated Doors

Our thoughts on this one...

Make "Box Is You" in the upper room. Use Box to push "Not" onto the belt to get it into that room. Move Box to lower room; and make "Box Is Word" while Box is next to "Is Flag". Now you have a Flag. Just make "Not Box Is You", and you would win, because you would be Flag while Flag Is Win. Only problem is, it is seemingly impossible to get Not off of the edge where it first entered the upper room. And it can't be used from its current location. Another reason I suspect that this isn't the solution is that it doesn't make any use of any of the text in "Wall Is Stop"... that text could just be a red herring of course, but it seems like based on most of the level design we've seen, if you didn't need to use any of that Text, then "Wall Is Stop" just would have been off into a corner where you can't access it at all. We know you can make "Wall Is Word", but I can't think of any sentence you could make with "Wall" that would actually be helpful; even if you had no location restrictions on what sentences you could make.

Again, it would be great to know if our line of thought is at all in the right direction. I feel like we've spent a lot of time just trying to move the "Not"; but we've also tried to think of different things.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:32:15 am by GendoIkari »

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 01:15:28 pm »

Ok, hint me... preferably very minor hints; I really want to be able to solve these as much on my own (my and my wife's own) as possible, but also don't want to waste hours going down the wrong path.

World 7; Out at Sea - You seemingly need to push both Lava and Ice at the same time; but it's almost obvious that you can't do both at once. The entire puzzle seems to be how to get Lava on to Box. Our thoughts...

Turning Ice into Text is nice because then you can push Lava and Text-Ice at the same time. Then it would just be a matter of turning the Text-Ice back into regular Ice at the right time. But that really doesn't work, because to open the door with Ice, you have to push Ice into the door... so "Ice Is Push" seems to be a hard requirement.

A good hint here might just tell us whether or not we're at all on the right track with the above thinking. Another thing we are unsure about is whether or not we need to put some words through the belt area to make new sentences on the other side. It seems like you would have to, because you need to change what sentences exist after being on the other side, but on the other hand. there isn't room in that tiny room to put more than 2 words/things.

World 8; Automated Doors

Our thoughts on this one...

Make "Box Is You" in the upper room. Use Box to push "Not" onto the belt to get it into that room. Move Box to lower room; and make "Box Is Word" while Box is next to "Is Flag". Now you have a Flag. Just make "Not Box Is You", and you would win, because you would be Flag while Flag Is Win. Only problem is, it is seemingly impossible to get Not off of the edge where it first entered the upper room. And it can't be used from its current location. Another reason I suspect that this isn't the solution is that it doesn't make any use of any of the text in "Wall Is Stop"... that text could just be a red herring of course, but it seems like based on most of the level design we've seen, if you didn't need to use any of that Text, then "Wall Is Stop" just would have been off into a corner where you can't access it at all. We know you can make "Wall Is Word", but I can't think of any sentence you could make with "Wall" that would actually be helpful; even if you had no location restrictions on what sentences you could make.

Again, it would be great to know if our line of thought is at all in the right direction. I feel like we've spent a lot of time just trying to move the "Not"; but we've also tried to think of different things.

Garden-Out at Sea:  I'll answer your second question: you will not need to make any new sentences after crossing the belt yourself.

Chasm-Automated Doors: you are right about the level design - you will need to use the text in Wall is Stop.

I don't think those hints spoil too much.  Let me know if they did, or if they were too vague and you want more.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 01:58:15 pm »

Garden-Out at Sea:  I'll answer your second question: you will not need to make any new sentences after crossing the belt yourself.

Chasm-Automated Doors: you are right about the level design - you will need to use the text in Wall is Stop.

I don't think those hints spoil too much.  Let me know if they did, or if they were too vague and you want more.

Those both sound like great level hints. The idea is we still have to work at figuring out the answer, but we don't have to waste a bunch of time going down a completely wrong path. I'll get back to you after I get a chance to play again. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:01:32 pm by GendoIkari »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 09:39:58 am »

Those both sound like great level hints. The idea is we still have to work at figuring out the answer, but we don't have to waste a bunch of time going down a completely wrong path. I'll get back to you after I get a chance to play again. Thanks!

Solved both pretty quickly! The hints basically just forced me to go back to questions that I had previously been asking, but somewhat dismissed as "that's not possible, so I should look for a different way". Those questions being:

Garden-Out at Sea:
How can I push both Lava and Ice at the same time?

Chasm-Automated Doors:
How can I make a useful sentence out of the fact that I have "Wall Is Word"?

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 06:57:29 pm »
+1

Solved both pretty quickly! The hints basically just forced me to go back to questions that I had previously been asking, but somewhat dismissed as "that's not possible, so I should look for a different way". Those questions being:

Garden-Out at Sea:
How can I push both Lava and Ice at the same time?

Chasm-Automated Doors:
How can I make a useful sentence out of the fact that I have "Wall Is Word"?

Lots of levels in Baba is You tend to be like that, especially later in the game.  There are lots of things we assume are impossible and move on to other thought processes, but many times the solution relies on one of them not actually being impossible.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 12:43:41 pm »
+2

Had a fun moment in Mountain - Floatier Platforms (or was it Floatist?)... I basically solved the puzzle but didn't realize I had, until very suddenly after another 30 minutes of trying other things; realized that I already had it before.

While messing around with different options, at one point I built the horizontal rock bridge, and used the 3 words to let one Baba move closer to the other. Even to the point of overlapping them. I thought "hey, this seems useful, because now by Babas aren't the same distance apart anymore. But too bad that I had to use all of my words and rocks to do it, because no I can't possibly access the key or the door. Oh well, back to square one". Then later while thinking "I wonder if there's anything other than the rocks that I could stand on... hmm, no, there's no other objects available. I mean there's the other Baba, but what good would that".... then BAM, there it was.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2019, 10:51:57 am »

Help! On level ??? - 6: Parade. No ideas left.

I’ve had 2 different lines of thought so far. 1:

Make Me Is Keke for a few moves; then Keke is Skull (or Me). This gets the Keke on the right halfway there. Using Bug somehow, move into the upper-left and get that Keke back to the right to get more time. Make them Keke again; win. The best I can do with this seems to be  needing 2 more moves/time than I have.

2:
Move into the upper left while Keke Is Skull Is Keke. This gives Keke only half of the time. Make Bug also Skull/Keke.  Push all of Baba Is You to the left one space. Get both Kekes that are there to the middle row where they can’t do more damage. With this, I seem to be 1 move too slow to get to one of the Skull/Keke in time to swap it to the “Is” row. 

Are either of these lines of thinking on the right path? Or do I need to think of something completely different?

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2019, 12:23:47 pm »

Help! On level ??? - 6: Parade. No ideas left.

I’ve had 2 different lines of thought so far. 1:

Make Me Is Keke for a few moves; then Keke is Skull (or Me). This gets the Keke on the right halfway there. Using Bug somehow, move into the upper-left and get that Keke back to the right to get more time. Make them Keke again; win. The best I can do with this seems to be  needing 2 more moves/time than I have.

2:
Move into the upper left while Keke Is Skull Is Keke. This gives Keke only half of the time. Make Bug also Skull/Keke.  Push all of Baba Is You to the left one space. Get both Kekes that are there to the middle row where they can’t do more damage. With this, I seem to be 1 move too slow to get to one of the Skull/Keke in time to swap it to the “Is” row. 

Are either of these lines of thinking on the right path? Or do I need to think of something completely different?

I have heard of other people who managed to solve it with something like your second way, but I haven't seen their solutions spelled out so I don't know how close you are.

I did it a completely different way, but the easiest way to get close to my solution is to leave Parade unfinished and come back after you have found and completed the level called "Fireplace", which is much easier and teaches the trick I used.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2019, 05:46:04 pm »

Thanks! But to get to that hint we need a hint for Depths 3: Crushers. Beating the level is easy enough. But we got nothing in terms of making something of Level.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2019, 05:47:32 pm »

Thanks! But to get to that hint we need a hint for Depths 3: Crushers. Beating the level is easy enough. But we got nothing in terms of making something of Level.

One of my brothers considers that level the hardest in the game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 12:02:57 am »

One of my brothers considers that level the hardest in the game.

Ended up looking at a couple hints online; really what did it for us was the hint that you need to combine text. I wish we'd been able to do that one without that hint, but oh well.

Math's hint worked out well once we got to the other level. It was one of those things though where the solution in Parade wasn't at all something that we would have thought would work and had to spend a minute after winning to watch and see how and why it was actually working.

Anyway, I think just one level left in Depths, level 5; and then 8-10 in ??? and then who knows.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 12:53:09 am »

???

Try saying ??? instead of ??? to dodge the confused face (quote this post to see what I'm saying).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2019, 09:08:10 am »

Alternatively, you can say ??? to dodge the confused face (quote this post to see what I'm saying).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2019, 11:28:52 am »

???

Try saying ??? instead of ??? to dodge the confused face (quote this post to see what I'm saying).

I knew about the "Don't use smileys" option, but figured that since the area name was just literally "???"; the confused face was appropriate.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2019, 12:19:46 am »

I love and hate this game. Been staying up way too late the past several nights; just not wanting to quit while stuck on a puzzle. So frustrating. And fun. We're getting close to the end though!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2019, 10:45:44 am »

I love and hate this game. Been staying up way too late the past several nights; just not wanting to quit while stuck on a puzzle. So frustrating. And fun. We're getting close to the end though!

I found that sleeping on puzzles I was stuck on was helpful. I'd be playing before bed, get stuck, go to sleep, and then wake up going "oh THAT'S what I need to do!"
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2019, 02:40:26 pm »

Strange, because we have completed 225 levels...

How do you know when you are done? Everything online is inconsistent with how many total levels there are. We think it might be a difference between Switch and Steam versions? Can anyone confirm? Or just updates that changed things after guides were made.

We’ve read about a level in Meta called “woah”. But no idea if it actually exists. Any time we create an extra level that we haven’t done in Meta; it gets a “00” number; and when we select that level; it just takes us to a different; already completed level. Even though we never actually did “00”.

Except; the level number on the level load screen changes! We can either go to “Level Meta-8: Mutual Feelings”... or with a lot of work, we can get to “Level Meta-0: Mutual Feelings”; which looks the same and does not award an additional flower when beaten.

Is this a glitch? There are a couple different ways to make this “Level 00”; but they all end up the same.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2019, 06:55:49 pm »

How do you know when you are done? Everything online is inconsistent with how many total levels there are. We think it might be a difference between Switch and Steam versions? Can anyone confirm? Or just updates that changed things after guides were made.

We’ve read about a level in Meta called “woah”. But no idea if it actually exists. Any time we create an extra level that we haven’t done in Meta; it gets a “00” number; and when we select that level; it just takes us to a different; already completed level. Even though we never actually did “00”.

Except; the level number on the level load screen changes! We can either go to “Level Meta-8: Mutual Feelings”... or with a lot of work, we can get to “Level Meta-0: Mutual Feelings”; which looks the same and does not award an additional flower when beaten.

Is this a glitch? There are a couple different ways to make this “Level 00”; but they all end up the same.

I got the "area complete" thingy on every level, so I assume I got them all.  The only thing in Meta that I thought of that I could maybe make a level was the cursor, but I couldn't figure out a way to do that.  It seemed like I was done, so I assumed I was done.  I have the switch version.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2019, 10:03:02 pm »

I got the "area complete" thingy on every level, so I assume I got them all.  The only thing in Meta that I thought of that I could maybe make a level was the cursor, but I couldn't figure out a way to do that.  It seemed like I was done, so I assumed I was done.  I have the switch version.

Cursor is Level is supposed to make the “woah” Level that doesn’t exist for me. It’s super hard to make but possible.. but for me it creates a “00” level that almost acts like a glitch.

Did you get the 3 orbs, and the area called “Center” which has just 2 levels; one that requires 3 orbs to get to?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:55:41 pm by GendoIkari »

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2019, 11:11:49 pm »

Cursor is Level is supposed to make the “woah” Level that doesn’t exist for me. It’s super hard to make but possible.. but for me it creates a “00” level that almost acts like a glitch.

Did you get the 3 orbs, and the area called “Center” which has just 2 levels; one that requires 3 orbs to get to?

Yeah, I did the Center area.  Although, now that I think of it, I don't know if I beat the slideshow one...  I'll have to check.

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2019, 11:44:54 pm »

On the Switch, there are only the 225 levels you have found.  "Whoa" is the last one, and it's currently only on the Steam version.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2019, 10:44:01 am »

On the Switch, there are only the 225 levels you have found.  "Whoa" is the last one, and it's currently only on the Steam version.

Thanks! It’s a bit disappointing that nothing in the game tells you when you complete every level; so no way to know if you should keep hunting for more hidden levels.

Still, as a whole, great game. Beat the whole thing with just a few minor hints.

Not a fan of the solution to “The Box”. While it was a really neat idea; nothing else we had seen in the game gave a reason to think that it would work; it felt like the game breaking its own established rules.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2019, 11:32:13 am »

Not a fan of the solution to “The Box”. While it was a really neat idea; nothing else we had seen in the game gave a reason to think that it would work; it felt like the game breaking its own established rules.

That was one of my favorite levels.  It might have just been the name, though...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2019, 12:38:54 pm »

That was one of my favorite levels.  It might have just been the name, though...

The name definitely led to the creativity of the solution; I just felt like it required a mechanic that nothing in the game gave me reason to think was a mechanic.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2019, 06:11:22 pm »

I've been playing a little bit more recently, and managed to make some progress where I was stuck. Managed to get the area clear flower from all 10 sub areas (the puzzles just got cooler and cooler with stuff like All and Empty keywords), and cleared "A Way Out?", both Win and End, thus "finishing" the game.

But before I did, I managed to do levels 9 and 10 on the overworld, and... the Level keyword is even more ridiculous. I won the overworld and got to the ??? world. I also accessed the hidden level in the overworld and got the orb - are there more orbs I could have found by now? I kind of wonder. I also managed to get the flower from ABC, and accessed the Depths. I think I reached level 3 or 4 in the depths, which is where I'm currently at. I'm on 131 levels clear, 11 flowers, 1 orb. I think I've managed to find about 185 levels so far, give or take. Everything in these worlds is crazy and breaking my brain, but I'm slowly making progress.

One question I have now is, how close am I to another ending? I suspect I'm not too far, right?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:40:07 pm by Tables »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2019, 06:33:42 pm »

I've been playing a little bit more recently, and managed to make some progress where I was stuck. Managed to get the area clear flower from all 10 sub areas (the puzzles just got cooler and cooler with stuff like All and Empty keywords), and cleared "A Way Out?", both Win and End, thus "finishing" the game.

But before I did, I managed to do levels 9 and 10 on the overworld, and... the Level keyword is even more ridiculous. I won the overworld and got to the ??? world. I also accessed the hidden level in the overworld and got the orb - are there more orbs I could have found by now? I kind of wonder. I also managed to get the flower from ABC, and accessed the Depths. I think I reached level 3 or 4 in the depths, which is where I'm currently at. I'm on 131 levels clear, 11 flowers, 1 orb. I think I've managed to find about 185 levels so far, give or take. Everything in these worlds is crazy and breaking my brain, but I'm slowly making progress.

One question I have now is, how close am I to another ending? I suspect I'm not too far, right?
[/quote]

If you look at my recent posts in this thread you will find the total number of levels available; as well as a bit about the 3 orbs. You are somewhat close.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2019, 06:44:05 pm »

Hm, I see. Currently stumped by Depths-3: Crushers. Winning is of course trivial. But I have not found a way to make level into anything - and I'm not actually sure what useful things it could be made based on the keywords in the level, either. Probably it would be Text I suppose? Whatever that will do. I feel like the three blocks on the right, the two Is and a Push, must be relevant somehow - but there doesn't seem to be a way to make use of them at all. The only thing I can push over there is Text, and well Text is Push by default. And the only word I can get out is an is, but that feels like I'm missing something.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2019, 07:05:11 pm »
+2

Hm, I see. Currently stumped by Depths-3: Crushers. Winning is of course trivial. But I have not found a way to make level into anything - and I'm not actually sure what useful things it could be made based on the keywords in the level, either. Probably it would be Text I suppose? Whatever that will do. I feel like the three blocks on the right, the two Is and a Push, must be relevant somehow - but there doesn't seem to be a way to make use of them at all. The only thing I can push over there is Text, and well Text is Push by default. And the only word I can get out is an is, but that feels like I'm missing something.

Ah yes, we had a lot of trouble with that one; it was one that we eventually looked at a hint for.

My very vague and mostly non-spoilery hint would be: SHIFT has an interesting property under the right circumstances. .

Slightly more specifically: SHIFT can act exactly like MOVE if 2 things both shift each other.

math

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2019, 03:31:18 pm »

In addition to GendoIkari's hint, another specific but non-spoilery hint is that it is actually possible to make use of the "Push" text.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2019, 08:51:23 pm »

In addition to GendoIkari's hint, another specific but non-spoilery hint is that it is actually possible to make use of the "Push" text.

I think I cheesed the level and didn't do that.  I'm pretty sure it was cheese because then I never undid the move thing at the top right.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2019, 09:26:57 pm »

I think I cheesed the level and didn't do that.  I'm pretty sure it was cheese because then I never undid the move thing at the top right.

It’s been too long for me to remember specifically; but I think it might be that undoing the move thing allows a different possible way to change the level.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2019, 05:28:48 pm »
+1

I ended up looking at a guide for that one. It was a pretty complex solution, for sure. I did the next few levels independently though, completed Depths and Got the 2nd Orb. I now have 2 Orbs - the one from the "Text is Hide" level in the default overworld, the one from completing the Depths. I've stopped playing again for now, Fire Emblem is too addicting.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2019, 08:15:04 am »

I made moderate use of a guide, but have now finally completed the True Ending. I'm definitely not going for 100%, this game is absurdly hard. Still, even if I had to check guides several times when stumped, especially in Meta, I'm happy to have reached the end.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2019, 04:14:15 pm »

I got this game a few days ago, and love it.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.