Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Invitation to the Mafia Championship (season 6)  (Read 5049 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Invitation to the Mafia Championship (season 6)
« on: March 29, 2019, 10:56:45 am »

(this is the invitation, not written by me)

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 6)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 270+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Thingyman as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 187 communities this season (last season featured 170 communities), and if interest is high enough we will expand even further to 204.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 26, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
2. SEASON 6 FORMAT

The tournament structure
  • 187 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • QUALIFIERS: 11 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 11 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd place finishers will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
  • WILDCARDS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 5 will discuss and vote to determine 23 players in total deserving of a second chance. They will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the aforementioned 2nd place finishers that advanced directly to these games. From each game, three players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
  • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 6 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
This year’s setup: Mad17
The setup is called Mad17 and features 17 players.

13x Town
4x Mafia

Each of the following 17 roles will be assigned at random to one player in the game without regard for the player's alignment. Each role is restricted to using its action only on the nights listed on the chart.

Relevant mechanics info
- Day start
- Role reveals at death are alignment only. You will not learn a player's exact role when they die.
- Majority is not in effect.
- Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
- Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, or roleblocked.
- Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction.
- Mafia members may perform the faction kill in addition to their regular action at the same time.
- Mafia may communicate at any time.
- Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.
- Each individual player may make a maximum of 200 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
- The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 6 TIMELINE

There will be 11 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of April, May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Thingyman#6075).

Kind regards,
Thingyman
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Thingyman

• View Profile
Re: Invitation to the Mafia Championship (season 6)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 09:34:41 am »

Thank you for sharing the invitation, Awaclus.

In the past, you guys have been represented by ashersky, silverspawn, Awaclus and schadd.

It's been a pleasure to have you, and I hope that you'll be participating this year as well. A total of 187 communities will be there :)

If you have any questions, just let me know.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:45:08 am »

I like the setup this time, it has a similar feel to our current RMM.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 01:45:36 pm »

I would take a shot at this again, if you guys are ok with that. afair we didn't have any formal selection process last time.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 02:06:57 am »

I would take a shot at this again, if you guys are ok with that. afair we didn't have any formal selection process last time.

I'm fine with it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Thingyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 07:32:53 am »

A week has gone by and there have been no objections, so I'll take it that silverspawn is your representative? If so, I'll send him the info :)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 11:56:45 pm »

Sounds good

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 03:38:04 am »

Good luck silverspawn.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:15 am »

I just want to be town this time. If I get scum for the third time in a row in these championship games, it's not going to be good for someone.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 10:06:20 am »

I just want to be town this time. If I get scum for the third time in a row in these championship games, it's not going to be good for someone.

By someone, are you referring to yourself?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 11:06:35 am »

By someone, are you referring to yourself?

yes :(

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 07:05:22 am »

The game thread is up and the game will start in a couple of hours.

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/22878

I won't look into this thread anymore, but obviously, the game should still not be discussed in a place that I could theoretically read.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 11:43:16 am »

Can we get a private QT to spectate on this game? That silverspawn doesn't get the link to until the game is over?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 05:28:11 pm »

There is a discord server for speccing
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 05:28:35 pm »

But also nothing is stopping you from making one and PMing it to anyone who asks
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 12:24:53 pm »

An f.ds discord or a mafiauniverse discord?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 01:30:51 pm »

Well, and I'm dead. That was quick. But it's not a bad result.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 04:35:27 pm »

Well, and I'm dead. That was quick. But it's not a bad result.

Hey, being the first nightkill is a compliment, right?

He/him

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 04:39:32 pm »

yeah, it is.

That was really pleasant and chill compared to the season 2 game. And I was finally actually town-aligned.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2019, 12:40:31 pm »

grats on third!!
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 01:42:13 pm »

Thanks.

The way the final entries work is that after each game, there is a vote on who was the strongest player in the game

#1 goes to finals
#2 goes to wildcards

Then in addition, the jury select a bunch of people who also go to wildcards.

I just barely didn't get #2, but I got selected to advance to the wildcard by the jury, so it doesn't matter. That means the wildcard game is coming up, and even another finals is still possible.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2019, 01:51:24 pm »

oh nice!
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 03:20:30 pm »

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 02:02:24 am »

In case folks missed it, the wildcard game has concluded and our beloved silver did not advance. But I was reading along and I thought he did very well and did us proud. It turned out to be a rough game for town...

He/him
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.