Dominion > Puzzles and Challenges

Asymptotic analysis of kingdoms puzzle

(1/8) > >>

bitwise:
Hi f.ds, sharing a puzzle that a friend and I made (well, mostly my friend) for another friend of ours. You probably won't enjoy the puzzle unless you like both dominion and math, but hopefully everyone here likes at least one of the two. :)

The rules of our puzzle's asymptotic dominion are similar to those in http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17378.0, but the main difference is that in our puzzle, you can assume you will have perfect luck, as it asks about the best possible score. Also, this puzzle was made before Renaissance came out, so no Renaissance cards are in any of the kingdoms.

The puzzle is at https://walledvillage.github.io/puzzle.pdf. Each of the 13 bullet points on the left is a separate kingdom to consider. Most of these kingdoms might not have exactly 10 kingdom cards (in fact, one has none), but should be considered as if that were the kingdom anyway. Each of them matches with an answer on the right, and taking the corresponding letters will spell out a message. The eventual goal is to have a final answer, which is a word or phrase.

Feel free to ask for any hints or clarifications here, and I hope you enjoy!

Note: Based off a sample size of 1, this puzzle may take quite a while to complete.
---
Edit: Adding some extra info here.

Some basic kingdoms and their answers, to get the idea across.

* Market, Chapel. Answer: 1.2^T
* Market. Answer: 1.2^(T/2) = 1.095^T
A list of sets that I think are easier, since completing the whole puzzle is probably unreasonable.
In approximately increasing difficulty:

* Potion cost
* Durations
* Reactions
* Artisan, ...
* Hamlet, Watchtower
* Debt cost
A kingdom I would say is pretty fun and decently approachable is Artisan, ....
Here's some other kingdoms not included in the puzzle that are fun, and not toooo crazy to analyze:

* Bishop, Cursed Village, Seaway
* Bridge, Hunting Grounds, Donate, Canal, Inheritance

ghostofmars:
Are the values on the right the high scores? If yes, how do they correspond to the different puzzles?

bitwise:
This is a mystery hunt-style puzzle, so not all the instructions are not explicitly given. If you want to just think about the dominion and math, then (minor spoiler)  For each kingdom, find its optimal score under the rules given. Each kingdom's answer is in the list of answers to the right. If you find all the answers in order, the corresponding letters will spell out a message. The eventual goal is to have a final answer (english word or phrase) for the entire puzzle.

hhelibebcnofnena:
I think part of what is confusing is that the kingdoms on the right are not all valid 10-card kingdoms that could come up in a normal game (e.g. just Hamlet and Watchtower, or no cards but all the Events, or all cards costing at least ). It therefore isn't clear that those are kingdoms, rather than groups of cards with certain properties related to their effect on the score.

bitwise:
Fair enough, I edited the first post to make it more clear.
I also added some practice kingdoms, a list of the ones in the puzzle I think are the most approachable, and some fun bonus kingdoms. :)

Fun kingdoms to try out:

* Bishop, Cursed Village, Seaway
* Bridge, Hunting Grounds, Donate, Canal, Inheritance

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version