Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Indian Reservation  (Read 6136 times)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Indian Reservation
« on: March 18, 2019, 05:12:24 pm »

This is my first post on here.

I recently designed a fan expansion for Dominion, with a Wild West theme. One of the cards I was thinking of adding to this is as follows:

Indian Reservation [Action-Duration] ($6)
Set aside a non-Duration card under this.
Now and at the start of your next turn,
invoke the set aside card.

By invoke, I mean "do what the card says". For example, setting aside a Silver would give you +$2 now, and +$2 at the start of your next turn. Setting aside a Smithy would give you +3 cards now, and +3 cards at the start of your next turn.

Invoking doesn't mean you use an action, so you would start your reserved Smithy turn with 8 cards and 1 action.

Two questions regarding this:

1) Is this hideously broken?
2) If not, what should the price be? I have discussed this a bit with Udzu - he reckons it should be $5 because it is comparable with Crown, but I think it should be higher because of the Duration effect.

Any thoughts?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Reservation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:44:58 pm »
+4

Donald X tried a version of this for Seaside and it was too weak to cost $3. That one didn't work on Treasures and this one does, so it might reach the point of being worth $3 or $4. But expect this to be weaker than it sounds. In particular, note that the Duration effect makes this weaker than Crown—Crown plays a card twice now, while this one plays it once now and once later. And in general it's better to play a card now than later! This also takes a card out of your deck for a turn: you can Crown a card on this turn and then play it normally on the next turn, but you can't do that with this card.

(Also, I don't think you need "invoke", you can just say "play".)

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:56:28 pm »
+2

To echo AJD, I'd write this something like this:

First Nation [Action-Duration] $4.
Set aside a non-Duration card from your hand.
Now and at the start of your next turn,
play the set aside card.

You don't need to set aside the card face down, especially since you're about to play it immediately, making it not a secret to anyone what card it is and what it does.

I renamed the card because I'm Canadian and politics. (First Nation is the legal term for (most) Indian uhhh groups.)

Technically, this also allows you to play Victory cards and Curses. They would do nothing, but they'd be in play-ish.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:59:42 pm by Neirai the Forgiven »

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:07:56 pm »

Now here’s the question do gain the set aside card? If you did then you would just play province and the game would be over lickity split. Also if that wasn’t the case what would happen to the set aside card. Would it just stay set aside for the rest of the game? Would it go back to the supply, or trashed. Since it doesn’t specify it sounds like you would need a new pile. The set aside pile. There’s a trash pile, your deck pile, your discard pile, a supply pile, the tavern mat pile. And now there would have to be a set aside pile.

So it needs to be specified and if it is gained it should say set aside a non duration action card. Cause as it is now there’s going to be a pile of cards set aside.

Of course if you decided to go with a set aside pile you would probably need to create a few other cards that would work with a set aside pile. Which would be like adding new rules to dominion. Which is fine. It wouldn’t be the first fan based expansion to have new rules. I remember one called ice age that had ice tokens. There were a few similar in name only to my snowline. But that whole ice token concept was very creative. But seemed like it would make the game very lengthy, so I chose not to go that route with my snowline.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:20:52 pm by ClouduHieh »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:16:14 pm »

ClouduHieh brings up an interesting point.. I think we all interpreted the text as "Set aside a non-Duration card from your hand", but it doesn't specify where the set-aside card comes from! If it is indeed intended to be set aside from the Supply, instead of from your hand, then it is a very different (and much stronger) card!

If you set it aside from your hand, then it's just a weaker Throne Room. If you set it aside from the supply, it's more like a duration-double Band of Misfits. And indeed the text would need to specify what to do with the played card... I think by default, you would just clean it up to your discard pile like other played cards; which would get you the card without technically "gaining" int... but then again, the card says "invoke" instead of "play"; so it probably wouldn't go to your in-play area.

So what is the intention?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mandioca15

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 07:10:00 pm »

I meant "set aside a card from your hand". Setting aside a Victory card wouldn't do anything, naturally, but it does mean it might miss the shuffle.

The intention of the card is to turn any non-Duration card into a Duration card. I don't see why it's strictly worse than a Throne Room: we're told that Wharf is one of the strongest $5 cards there is because of its Duration effect. You start your next turn with 7 cards and an extra Buy. Surely converting a card into a Duration card is more valuable than $4 on many occasions?

Once Indian Reservation has finished resolving (i.e. next turn), both it and the card you set aside go into your discard pile.

Taking any card from the Supply and putting it under Indian Reservation, gaining it once it finishes resolving, is an intriguing idea. I hadn't thought of that interpretation of my original wording...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 07:59:48 pm »
+3

If Wharf were not a Duration; it would be:

+4 Cards
+2 Buys

This is a much stronger version of Hunting Grounds; a $6 card.

Also look at Caravan vs Laboratory. Caravan costs $4 instead of $5 because you get that extra card next turn instead of this turn.

Duration’s as a whole are weaker than the same thing in non-Duration form. This is both because it is generally better to get something this turn than it is to get the same thing next turn; and because by staying out in play; Duration cards miss the shuffle more. You also need twice as many of them if you want to play one every turn.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:09:07 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 10:01:43 pm »
+3

So I'm totally out of the loop dominion-strategy-wise, but I can at least say that the card HAS to be renamed.  That's racist, yo.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 10:58:11 pm »
+2

It’s just a game. Also his reservation card is for a Wild West theme, although did they have reservations for native Americans in the Wild West? Like I said it’s just a game, racism did not even enter my mind when I saw the name of the card.

And I guess if it really bothers a lot of users you can always go with nerai s suggestion.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 11:18:02 pm »
+3

I didn't want to stir things up a lot; but every time this showed up on my feed it bothered me.  So now I've said something and I feel better.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 01:28:46 am »
+2

You're naming your card after genocide camps, with a racial slur to boot. Maybe don't "it's just a" to that kind of criticism.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 05:31:00 am »
+1

I for one had no idea until know about the negative/racist implications of that term; so I have been educated today.

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 07:00:30 am »
+2

Just avoid that name. Political consideration aside, it's also anachronistic, as the game is largely medieval (at most renaissance) in flavor.

Also, you probably want to phrase it this way:

Play a card from your hand, then set it aside. If you did, play it again at the beginning of your next turn.

Since by default, if you play something, it will be discarded in the cleanup phase. The wording of Prince is a reference point.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 02:12:24 pm »
+2

Can we please keep RSP in RSP? This is a horrible welcome to mandioca15.  He posts here and is instantly called a racist?  He wanted discussion on the card, not politics.  The discussion on the card's name is fine to have, but not here.

Mandioca15, welcome to the forums!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

mandioca15

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 02:36:06 pm »
+3

I wasn't aware that the name might cause upset. You learn something new every day... Will try to think of a less controversial name. The name was meant to be a nod to Reserve cards, since you effectively play a card twice, as happens with cards of that type.

Thanks for the welcome, sudgy.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 03:07:36 pm »

Can we please keep RSP in RSP? This is a horrible welcome to mandioca15.  He posts here and is instantly called a racist?  He wanted discussion on the card, not politics.  The discussion on the card's name is fine to have, but not here.

Mandioca15, welcome to the forums!

I don't think anybody called OP racist, just the name of the card. That seemed clear to me. Seems like a cool card beyond the name.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 03:17:30 pm »

Just checking: if I play this card and select Band of Misfits, and use Band of Misfits as a Duration, this card's Duration effect is to play Band of Misfits from the play area, right?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 03:26:31 pm »

Just checking: if I play this card and select Band of Misfits, and use Band of Misfits as a Duration, this card's Duration effect is to play Band of Misfits from the play area, right?

I don’t think BoM would ever get moved into play; this it would never become the card it is being played as. BoM expects itself to be in play when following its instructions. If it is instead set aside; it will have lost track. See recent thread in rules forum. This is assuming that he keeps the card as “invoke” and not “play”. Of course he could also borrow Necromancer wording and say “play the card; leaving it set aside”.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 03:28:53 pm »
+1

Quote from Donald X on his attempt to make basically this same card for Seaside:

There was a now-and-later Throne Room variant. Play an Action, play it again next turn. It was both confusing and weak. What if you use it on a duration card? How long does it stay on the table? It could have said "non-duration," but that's pretty sad in a set with 8 duration cards. And did I mention it was weak? It left before development started.

ahyangyi

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 03:41:02 pm »

Still, that was the Seaside time. An old time when you think about that. Maybe things have changed.

We now have Prince and Summon, albeit both being Promo cards. Apparently "play a card next turn" is now a workable mechanism.

Anyway, if this is weak for $3, many we need to do something about it.

What about this:

You may play a card. If you did, set it aside. If you did, play it again at the start of your next turn.
If no card is set aside this way, instead get +1 card +1 action at the start of your next turn.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:47:28 pm by ahyangyi »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 03:51:04 pm »
+2

It just occurred to me that that the net effects of this card are very similar to this other card:

+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action.
This turn, you may top-deck one action card when you discard it from play.

“Play a card” this turn is basically the same as +1 Action. Play a set-aside Card next turn is basically the same as +1 Card, +1 Action next turn.

So it’s like a Ghost Town combined with a Scheme. But a little weaker than that because of restrictions.

ahyangyi

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 11:54:43 pm »

Indeed. Duration throne rooms are not really throne rooms since they don't enable you to play a card twice in a turn, which is part of throne room's strength.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 03:04:26 am »

You may play a card. If you did, set it aside. If you did, play it again at the start of your next turn.
If no card is set aside this way, instead get +1 card +1 action at the start of your next turn.
This is a nice buff as there are situations in which you can only Throne Treasures and a Ghost Town effect is preferable to e.g. +2$ (if you Throne a Silver) next turn.
Anyway, you need a non-Duration restriction. I guess Duration-Throning Durations is feasible (note that Ghost is far easier to track as the doubling occurs entirely during the next turn and is not "spread" over two turns like with this card) but the tracking mess it creates is simply not worth it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:05:44 am by segura »

ahyangyi

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 04:05:40 am »

Without a non-duration restriction this plays the "on play" effect twice and the "next turn" effect once.

Usually it sounds fine, but then there is stuff like Archive that makes it simply doesn't work.

Or we can say "you may set it aside when it is discarded from play this turn" or something, so you can actually play that Archive again only if it fails to archive any card.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 09:00:32 am »

Without a non-duration restriction this plays the "on play" effect twice and the "next turn" effect once.
I don't follow how your wording implies that.

All I know is that a "play X this and next turn" TR variant has issues with Durations, as DXV noted years ago. These issues are principally solvable but not worth it ... and neither is doing a card that DXV has already nixed. Just because this, unlike the card that has been playtested during Seaside, can also Throne Nights and Treasures doesn't make it suddenly good.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.