Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Indian Reservation

(1/6) > >>

mandioca15:
This is my first post on here.

I recently designed a fan expansion for Dominion, with a Wild West theme. One of the cards I was thinking of adding to this is as follows:

Indian Reservation [Action-Duration] ($6)
Set aside a non-Duration card under this.
Now and at the start of your next turn,
invoke the set aside card.

By invoke, I mean "do what the card says". For example, setting aside a Silver would give you +$2 now, and +$2 at the start of your next turn. Setting aside a Smithy would give you +3 cards now, and +3 cards at the start of your next turn.

Invoking doesn't mean you use an action, so you would start your reserved Smithy turn with 8 cards and 1 action.

Two questions regarding this:

1) Is this hideously broken?
2) If not, what should the price be? I have discussed this a bit with Udzu - he reckons it should be $5 because it is comparable with Crown, but I think it should be higher because of the Duration effect.

Any thoughts?

AJD:
Donald X tried a version of this for Seaside and it was too weak to cost $3. That one didn't work on Treasures and this one does, so it might reach the point of being worth $3 or $4. But expect this to be weaker than it sounds. In particular, note that the Duration effect makes this weaker than Crown—Crown plays a card twice now, while this one plays it once now and once later. And in general it's better to play a card now than later! This also takes a card out of your deck for a turn: you can Crown a card on this turn and then play it normally on the next turn, but you can't do that with this card.

(Also, I don't think you need "invoke", you can just say "play".)

Neirai the Forgiven:
To echo AJD, I'd write this something like this:

First Nation [Action-Duration] $4.
Set aside a non-Duration card from your hand.
Now and at the start of your next turn,
play the set aside card.

You don't need to set aside the card face down, especially since you're about to play it immediately, making it not a secret to anyone what card it is and what it does.

I renamed the card because I'm Canadian and politics. (First Nation is the legal term for (most) Indian uhhh groups.)

Technically, this also allows you to play Victory cards and Curses. They would do nothing, but they'd be in play-ish.

ClouduHieh:
Now here’s the question do gain the set aside card? If you did then you would just play province and the game would be over lickity split. Also if that wasn’t the case what would happen to the set aside card. Would it just stay set aside for the rest of the game? Would it go back to the supply, or trashed. Since it doesn’t specify it sounds like you would need a new pile. The set aside pile. There’s a trash pile, your deck pile, your discard pile, a supply pile, the tavern mat pile. And now there would have to be a set aside pile.

So it needs to be specified and if it is gained it should say set aside a non duration action card. Cause as it is now there’s going to be a pile of cards set aside.

Of course if you decided to go with a set aside pile you would probably need to create a few other cards that would work with a set aside pile. Which would be like adding new rules to dominion. Which is fine. It wouldn’t be the first fan based expansion to have new rules. I remember one called ice age that had ice tokens. There were a few similar in name only to my snowline. But that whole ice token concept was very creative. But seemed like it would make the game very lengthy, so I chose not to go that route with my snowline.

GendoIkari:
ClouduHieh brings up an interesting point.. I think we all interpreted the text as "Set aside a non-Duration card from your hand", but it doesn't specify where the set-aside card comes from! If it is indeed intended to be set aside from the Supply, instead of from your hand, then it is a very different (and much stronger) card!

If you set it aside from your hand, then it's just a weaker Throne Room. If you set it aside from the supply, it's more like a duration-double Band of Misfits. And indeed the text would need to specify what to do with the played card... I think by default, you would just clean it up to your discard pile like other played cards; which would get you the card without technically "gaining" int... but then again, the card says "invoke" instead of "play"; so it probably wouldn't go to your in-play area.

So what is the intention?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version