Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Innovation / Skulk interaction  (Read 4175 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Innovation / Skulk interaction
« on: March 16, 2019, 03:30:03 pm »

I just played a game with Innovation and Skulk. When you buy Skulk while having Innovation, it lets you choose the order of effects (gain gold and set aside -> play skulk). This happened several times; the times where I chose to play Skulk first, everything went fine. But the one time I chose to get the gold first, Skulk didn't play. It said Innovation lost track of Skulk.

But why? I understand that if I resolve the gold thing first, then the first card I gain that turn is Gold not Skulk. But Gold is not an action card, so Skulk is still the first action card I gained this turn. Why does gaining a gold cause Innovation to lose track of Slulk? Or is it a bug?

Don't have the ID, unfortunately, and can't reproduce it (I don't own cards).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Innovation / Skulk interaction
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 03:41:20 pm »

The Gold covers up the Skulk in your discard pile if you gain it first, and then Innovation doesn't find Skulk where it expects it to be (at the top of your discard pile) and can't move it into play.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +198
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 04:28:31 pm »
+1

The Gold covers up the Skulk in your discard pile if you gain it first, and then Innovation doesn't find Skulk where it expects it to be (at the top of your discard pile) and can't move it into play.
Or rather it can't set it aside and therefore the condition to play it isn't fulfilled.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 04:32:29 pm »

Is this always a thing? Card A looses track of card B because another card goes on top, even if card B doesn't move?

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 05:43:55 pm »

Or rather it can't set it aside and therefore the condition to play it isn't fulfilled.

Right.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 04:18:36 pm »

Is this always a thing? Card A looses track of card B because another card goes on top, even if card B doesn't move?

You could say that card B did move, because it doesn't have the same location anymore, on top of the pile.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 04:33:00 pm »

You could say that card B did move, because it doesn't have the same location anymore, on top of the pile.

Ah, theory of relativity messing up Dominion rules as usual.

But no, lose track has always applied to being covered up as much as to literal movement.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 06:22:17 pm »

Ah, theory of relativity messing up Dominion rules as usual.

But no, lose track has always applied to being covered up as much as to literal movement.

I know that the rule specifies that it also applies to covering up cards. What I meant was that you could perfectly well view this as merely a clarification. "The bottom of the pile", "the top of the pile", "position x from the top/bottom of the pile" are defined locations in Dominion. Covering up a card changes this defined position. Actually I always took this as the reason why it's lost track of. If it's considered to have the same position only with a card on top of it, I don't see why the rule couldn't just be that it's not lost track of.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 08:20:54 am »
+1

For some reason this does not apply to hands. You can gain a card with Transmogrify (or Mine if you like), physically shuffle your hand around, then react with a Watchtower to trash the gained card.

What I posit is that "top of discard pile" and "rest of discard pile" are different locations WRT lose-track.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 08:34:14 am »

For some reason this does not apply to hands. You can gain a card with Transmogrify (or Mine if you like), physically shuffle your hand around, then react with a Watchtower to trash the gained card.

What I posit is that "top of discard pile" and "rest of discard pile" are different locations WRT lose-track.

They should be! You can't look through your discard pile, so by the letter of the rules you can't verify if any particular card is in the discard pile, or where it is, without being granted the ability to look through it.

I don't know if this actually matters regarding lose track, but intuitively it seems to be part of the justification to me.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 01:24:24 pm »

Well, your hand, just like the trash pile, is an unordered pile of visible cards - unlike your discard pile and deck.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 09:06:45 pm »

Hasn't Watchtower already lost track of it in the first place because you gained it to your hand rather than your discard as usual?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 11:54:30 pm »

Hasn't Watchtower already lost track of it in the first place because you gained it to your hand rather than your discard as usual?

No, gaining to hand or to top of deck does not cause lose-track. (This has been known since Seaside with Sea Hag/Watchtower.) Only movement after gaining causes lose-track.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.