Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion.Online issues teaching us how to correctly play some cards  (Read 2751 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile

One of my opponents has been unable to play IRL, so we decided to play Dominion.Online.   I humbly think of myself as a good player (and understand the 'rules of the game'), but a few times I have encountered a few moments in Dominion.Online to teach me the 'correct rules'.

It seems we have been playing the Trade Route incorrectly. 
We incorrectly assumed that the 'Trade Route' mats were meant as '1 per player' (since there were 8 of them).
We had played were if one player gains a Victory cards they alone gain the token to 'their' mat (this was wrong).
Note: I had mockingly complained before about issuing 8 mats when only 6 players were allowed at most.  And now I see that it is 'even worse' in that even with 6 players, we only need 1 Trade Route mat.

Now (correct me if I am wrong) we see that the Trade Route is a 'shared' mat for all players.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion.Online issues teaching us how to correctly play some cards
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 12:11:34 pm »
+2

One of my opponents has been unable to play IRL, so we decided to play Dominion.Online.   I humbly think of myself as a good player (and understand the 'rules of the game'), but a few times I have encountered a few moments in Dominion.Online to teach me the 'correct rules'.

It seems we have been playing the Trade Route incorrectly. 
We incorrectly assumed that the 'Trade Route' mats were meant as '1 per player' (since there were 8 of them).
We had played were if one player gains a Victory cards they alone gain the token to 'their' mat (this was wrong).
Note: I had mockingly complained before about issuing 8 mats when only 6 players were allowed at most.  And now I see that it is 'even worse' in that even with 6 players, we only need 1 Trade Route mat.

Now (correct me if I am wrong) we see that the Trade Route is a 'shared' mat for all players.
Yes. And the other mats in Prosperity are for VP tokens.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:33:27 pm »
+4

There is only 1 Trade Route mat included with Prosperity:

Notice that the art on the mat matches the art on the Trade Route card.

Separately, there are 8 VP token mats, which players use to store their VP tokens.

You can also just look at the components list in the Prosperity instruction book:

9 mats (8 player mats and 1 Trade Route mat)

Also, always read cards literally. Trade Route says

move that token to the Trade Route mat when a card is gained from the pile.

No mention of "when you gain", just "when a card is gained". So it has to be the exact same instruction whenever any player gains a card.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:36:58 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:33:09 pm »
+7

You already knew this. ;)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:15:23 am »

Another 'lesson' learned.  I often 'assume' I understand how to play cards, but often discover some 'rule'.   This time it was the Quarry.
We never realized that the -2 coins was 'cumulative'.  It just seemed too good to be true, making expensive card REALLY cheap.  I basically won my game because of that rule.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:38:20 am »

Usually reading the FAQ in the rulebook (or the wiki) can sort these questions out.
However, I will admit that I have also gotten rules like this wrong in the past, although neither of these examples were solved by Dominion online. Rather, one was solved by buying another expansion, and the other by looking at the wiki.

Until I got Seaside and figured out that Durations are a thing, I thought Bridge acted like a Duration, making cards cost $1 less this round, instead of this turn. I got confused because of the wording distinction with Quarry (I got Prosperity before Seaside because it was recommended first), which said 'while this is in play'. I didn't realize the distinction was to prevent it from stacking when getting Throned, if such a card eventually came out for Treasures (which it did). Not even sure why I thought that; it wouldn't be good enough for $4, but I still bought it anyway because it seemed cool.

Also when I first got Adventures, I would always put out Peasant and Hireling because I loved those cards, and whenever I got Disciple, I would Disciple the Hireling, because it was a free extra Hireling play and extra Hireling card, without realizing the Disciple was supposed to stay out with the Hireling. WAY less overpowered that way, as Disciple takes a while to get.

Looking back, both of these could probably have been solved by looking at the FAQ, and both of the correct ways to play these cards made tracking a lot easier as well.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:32:02 am »
+6

Another 'lesson' learned.  I often 'assume' I understand how to play cards, but often discover some 'rule'.   This time it was the Quarry.
We never realized that the -2 coins was 'cumulative'.  It just seemed too good to be true, making expensive card REALLY cheap.  I basically won my game because of that rule.

You seem to be making a common mistake... you're going off of what you feel makes sense to you, rather than what the cards say. Unless you are dealing with a super rare Inheritance/Band of Misfits/One-shot type issue; simply read the cards as they are literally worded, and apply the instructions in plain English. Don't interpret or assume anything.

If you made that mistake with Quarry, did you make the same mistake with Highway? What about Goons?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 03:34:01 pm »
+1

There are games where you will have a better time making up rules as you see fit. Dominion isn't one of them. The designer spent immense amounts of time tweaking every single card, believe me, he knows what he's doing. For Quarry for instance, it's significantly cheaper than Gold and even better than it if you have extra buys, but only for Action cards. If you want to buy Province, Colony or Platin, Quarry is just an expensive Copper. It's not miraculously giving you points in itself.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 12:42:58 am »
+1

There are games where you will have a better time making up rules as you see fit. Dominion isn't one of them. The designer spent immense amounts of time tweaking every single card, believe me, he knows what he's doing. For Quarry for instance, it's significantly cheaper than Gold and even better than it if you have extra buys, but only for Action cards. If you want to buy Province, Colony or Platin, Quarry is just an expensive Copper. It's not miraculously giving you points in itself.
Well I've made a bunch of mistakes, but Quarry isn't one of them.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 01:26:13 am »
+5

Well I've made a bunch of mistakes, but Quarry isn't one of them.
You got ninety-nine problems, but a ditch ain't one.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 20 queries.