Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: M122: What Game Are We Even Playing? Mafia (Full, waiting for Snow to return)  (Read 23242 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile

Welcome to M122: What Game Are We Even Playing? Mafia

This is a first run of our semi-open setup for 14 players, Bread and Circuses. All information about the setup is included in the 2nd and 3rd posts.

Flavor will be Uncleeurope and I making up nonsense about everyone trying to decide on what game to play at a board game night. It may get violent.

When you sign up, please suggest a game or a couple games to be used for your flavor. These will have no bearing on alignment or role. If you don't like any games other than Dominion and Mafia, we can assign a game to you. We will totally use this as a board game recommendation system.

Playerlist:
  • arishipshape
  • DatSwan
  • chairs
  • jotheonah
  • MiX
  • A Drowned Kernel
  • gkrieg13
  • mcmcsalot
  • Glooble
  • Galzria
  • Faust
  • Joseph2302
  • SpaceAnemone
  • EFHW

* indicates a prod

Mods: Umbrageofsnow, Uncleeurope

Tagged:

Navigation:
Day 1 Start | Day 1 End

Rules:

The normal Rules of Mafia apply, with the following additions and changes
General
  • This is the mod color. This is also the mod color.  You may not use these colors, or very small text, or any sort of stenography or encryption we deem likely to hurt the game.
  • All players will have personal QTs that they may post in at any time.
  • Questions will be answered, errors fixed, and rule-breaking punished at mod discretion.  We'll try our best to be fair and impartial and make sure everyone has fun, but some questions may not be answered and some things may not be resolved the way you want.  Complain about it via PM or QT, not in thread.
  • Mod communications of any kind may not be directly quoted in thread, although they may be paraphrased.
  • Private topic posts may only be quoted if you don't imply they came from your private topic, drafts are fine, "Hey, here are my notes from 2 days ago"is not. Same for offline note taking, etc.
Voting
  • You may Vote: No LynchIf half, rounded up, of the living players vote this way, a No Lynch is achieved and the day ends.
  • Voting must be in bold to count.  If I recognize it as a vote for someone, it counts as a vote.  Ambiguity kills.  If I don't know who you are voting for, it doesn't count.  Errors should be pointed out in thread, but if you were just being too weird for me to figure out what you meant, just revote.
  • Unvotes are not required to change your vote.
Deadlines & Prods
  • Game days will last 8 real life days.  Nights will last 2 days.  At the start of the phase I may announce that there will be a bit of extra time to line things up with my schedule.
  • All players still alive are required to check in during the night in (at least one of) their QT(s).
  • Night Actions may be submitted up until 2 hours before the next day starts.
  • If all players consent to it via QT or PM, night may be shortened and resolved as soon as I can.
  • Plurality Rules!
    When time for the day is up and no majority has been reached, the player with the most votes is lynched.  If there is a tie, the player who most recently had more votes is lynched. If there is still a tie, the player who reached their current number of votes first is lynched. If there is still a tie, the player who most recently won a board game is lynched. If your vote is 1 second after the set deadline, that vote does not count, whether I've locked the thread or not.
  • Prods will be issued after 48 hours without posting in the game thread, unless you have declared V/LA.  A player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after that I'll start trying to find a replacement.  If you post in thread before I do, that's fine.  After 3 prods, players are subject to replacement or modkill, at the mods' discretion.  I might send out pokes before you're eligible for a prod, these have no consequences attached and are just to get you posting again and let you know you're close to being prodded.  But I'm not promising to always do so.
  • I'm happy to send prods by email or some other means if people like, but prods will be sent by PM on site by default. Let me know by PM if you have some other preference.
  • Players who discover they are too busy to play in a game or want to leave the game for civility issues are not allowed to officially /out in the thread once the game has started.  A request to replace out must be done via a post in the role QT or PM. Please do not use this as a manipulation technique.  (Note players may continue to threaten to /out or imply that they might as long as it does not include an official request). Requests to /out are final once submitted. There will be no /outing and then /inning back into the game so make sure that when you /out you have thought it through and really want to do it. Players that can't be replaced will simply be mod-killed. Whether your request to /out will lead to replacement or a modkill is up to the mod's discretion.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:53:38 pm by gkrieg13 »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
Re: M122: What Game Are We Even Playing? Mafia (10-14 slots left)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:49:17 am »

Setup: Bread and Circuses
by Umbrageofsnow and Uncleeurope

1 Goon + 5 VTs   
|
                  C                 
|
              D             

A                   
|
|
|
|
      Supersaint Jester       
Macho 2-shot Cop
Semi-Elite Bodyguard
VT
|
|
|
|
Mafia 1-shot BP Traitor
Mafia Odd-Night Promoter
VT
Semi-Elite Bodyguard

B                   
|
|
|
|
Mafia Godfather
Mafia Goon
Town Odd-Night Promoter
Semi-Elite Bodyguard
|
|
|
|
       Lyncher Doctor
       Vengeful Townie
       Psychologist
       Tracker

Additional Rules:
  • Plurality Lynch
  • Traitor knows Mafia, Mafia doesn’t know traitor, dies if night-killed
  • Traitor is guilty to cop, innocent to Psychologist (until the night it inherits the NK)
  • Traitor inherits the night kill if other mafia are all dead
  • Psychologist is slightly non-standard: it's result occurs before the night's kill
  • Promoter can self-target
  • Promoter turns a player into a compulsive gladiator the next day.
  • The player who has become a gladiator will be announced at the start of each day.
  • Vengeful can only target on-wagon
  • Bodyguards protect from kills, not death, so if 2 Bodyguards protect each other and one is killed, the other dies
  • Bodyguard can protect from Vengeful/Supersaint kills, which happen the following night.
  • If 2 Bodyguards target the same player and that player would die, both die, but they kill the attacker.
  • This doesn't work on the Cop.
  • The Vengeful Townie is capable of performing a kill to the Psychologist
  • Jester cannot self-hammer
  • Lyncher can self-doctor
  • Lyncher's target will be one of the VTs

The setup is one of 4, either a column or a row of the above table, and then 1 Mafia Goon and 5 VTs are added
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:50:28 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 11:49:23 am »

Possible Role PMs

Quote from: Supersaint Jester
After you are lynched you will kill the last player on your wagon at the end of the Night.

You win if you are lynched before the end of the game. Your lynch does not end the game. You may vote for yourself, but if your vote would be the final vote required for your lynch it will not count.

Quote from: Lyncher Doctor
Each night you may target one player (possibly yourself) to protect them from one kill attempt.

Your target is {Player}, you know they are a VT.
You win if your target is lynched while you are still alive.

When your target dies you also die.

Quote from: Mafia Goon
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote. Also your factional night kill. Each night, one member of your team with access to your team QT may target a player to attempt to kill them.
You may talk to your partner(s) at night here.

You win when at least half of the players left alive are members of the Mafia.

Quote from: Mafia Godfather
If you are investigated by the cop, they will be told you are town-aligned.

Each night, one member of your team with access to your team QT may target a player to attempt to kill them.
You may talk to your partners at night here.

Quote from: Mafia 1-shot Bulletproof Traitor
Your teammates are {Player} and {Player}, but they do not know you.

If both of your teammates die, you inherit access to their team QT and their ability to target a player to attempt to kill each night.

You will survive the first time you would be killed at night.

Quote from: Mafia Multitasking Compulsive Odd-Night Promoter
Each odd-numbered night, you must nominate one player (possibly yourself) to enter a fight the next day. If you don't make a selection, one will be made for you at random. On the following day, your target must submit Challenge: {Playername} in bold in the game thread before 72 hours have passed. Otherwise a Challenger will be chosen at random. All votes will be reset, and for the rest of the Day only votes for one of the combatants will be accepted.

Each night, one member of your team with access to your team QT may target a player to attempt to kill them. You may attempt the kill and Promote a fight on the same night.
You may talk to your partner at night here.

Quote from: Town Compulsive Odd-Night Promoter
Each odd-numbered night, you must nominate one player (possibly yourself) to enter a fight the next day. If you don't make a selection, one will be made for you at random. On the following day, your target must submit Challenge: {Playername} in bold in the game thread before 72 hours have passed. Otherwise a Challenger will be chosen at random. All votes will be reset, and for the rest of the Day only votes for one of the combatants will be accepted.

You win when all Mafia are dead and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Quote from: Semi-Elite Bodyguard
Each night you may target a player other than yourself to protect. If that player would be killed, they survive and you die instead.

If you and another Bodyguard both protect the same player, if you die for your target, together the two of you will also kill the attacker. This counts as one kill attempt.

Quote from: Vengeful Townie
After you are lynched you may target a player on your wagon, you kill that player at the end of the Night.

Quote from: Macho 2-shot Cop
Twice per game, you may use one of your shots at night to target a player to investigate. You will receive a result of “{Player} is town-aligned” or “{Player} is not town-aligned.”

If you would otherwise die at night and are protected by a Bodyguard, you will die anyway and the Bodyguard will survive.

Quote from: Psychologist
Each night you may target a player to investigate. You will receive a result of “Can Kill” if they are capable of killing a player at night but have not yet done so. If they cannot kill, or if they have already killed someone, you will receive a result of “Cannot Kill.” This investigation resolves before the night’s kill.

Quote from: Tracker
Each night you may target a player to track. You will get the names of any player they targeted or “{Player} did not visit anyone.”

Quote from: Vanilla Townie
Your only weapons are your voice and your vote.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:24:39 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:40 pm »

I'm still in. Lets do this.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:20 pm »

I'm still in. Lets do this.

Cool! We're doing board games for flavor (and then not making it related to anything, scum are going to get flavor but their picks are safe fake claims and will be used in the flavor in-game.)

So pick a game or two that you like, or say you don't care and we'll assign you a board game to like.

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
    • View Profile
Re: M122: What Game Are We Even Playing? Mafia (10-13 slots left)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:55 pm »

Sorry, didn't actually read the top before posting. I absolutely love the board games Pandemic (with all it's expansions) and Mothership. Pandemic is the rare cooperative board game where all the players are attempting to save the world from 4 diseases that have suddenly took the world by storm. Mothership is a tabletop combat game a la Risk but IN SPAAAACE!
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 12:05:45 pm »

Is it considered rude if I in to get a game recommendation and then out again?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 12:07:44 pm »

That's fine.

Onitama.

Also, you only have a ~3.5% chance of rolling Jester, if you want to take your chances.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 12:09:33 pm »

I know this game isn't going to appeal to everyone, sorry about that. At least it's semi-open. Trying to make Jesters work is part of the concept though (and kind of a long time obsession of mine and also Uncleeurope's I think.)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 12:21:27 pm »

@faust: Usually I get really annoyed with chess-like games that are trying to "fix" chess without getting, in my opinion, the actual appeal of chess. (This is a big disagreement UE and I have, but we both like Onitama.) It's a simple chess-like game where each piece moves using one of two cards in your hand that specify a movement pattern. You then have to pass the card you used to the other player. There are 4 pawns and 1 king (disciples and master in the theme of the game), you win by either capturing the opponent's master, or getting yours to the center square of the other side's back row.

Simple and elegant perfect information strategy game.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 12:36:11 pm »

/in

Games: Euchre. Sheriff of Nottingham. Sentinels of the Multiverse.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
Re: M122: What Game Are We Even Playing? Mafia (10-12 slots left)
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 01:01:59 pm »

/in, I suppose

For boardgame I pick Battlecon, best fighting board game ever!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: M122: What Game Are We Even Playing? Mafia (9-11 slots left)
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 02:26:04 pm »

/in

For my boardgame I'll pick Root
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 02:27:28 pm »

/in

I take it you're liking that? I've been debating getting it.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 02:35:10 pm »

/in

I love the concept and the art, after a handful of games I'm still trying to convince myself that it's actually balanced. I think it might not be but it's also fun enough that maybe it doesn't matter.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
Re: M122: What Game Are We Even Playing? Mafia (8-10 slots left)
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 03:25:03 pm »

When do you think this will start?

I am probably /in and my game is Star Realms or 7 Wonders (or Lords of the Waterdeep, or 5 minute Dungeon Crawl, or Rummikub, or Dixit...)
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 03:25:42 pm »

Star Realms

Add that to mine too, great game

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 03:26:33 pm »

Whose game shelf is that? It's amazing!!  Almost as nice as Galz's liquor cabinet!

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 03:33:41 pm »

Whose game shelf is that? It's amazing!!  Almost as nice as Galz's liquor cabinet!
It's UE's. He has a problem.

Also my mother, aunt, and pseudo mother-in-law all like rummikub, but all have different rules for how wilds work. And I think the rules in their boxes disagree too. Worse than farms in Carcassonne.

Start date depends on when it fills, we are ready to go as soon as that happens but could hold off or have a longer day 1 to accommodate people.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:35:18 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 04:02:34 pm »

/in

If you get it I will find a way to play it with you. Been wanting to try it myself.

I most definitely have a problem, that’s not even all of them, we had to get new shelving to hold them. I am currently in the process of reorganizing everything, so the placement of the games is in flux at the moment. (And no, they aren’t all being stored in a ginormous Fluxx box)
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 04:06:35 pm »

It’s amazing! That is a good problem to have...good taste and room for furniture. Eddie has moved up in my estimation. I’m still not sure I should trust someone who doesn’t like coffee, though.

Rummikub is totally old people super fun, but I like it! Same with gin rummy. I might be 85 in my head. I also like a whole host of games we play with the kids like Exploding Kittens, Ticket to Ride, Quirkle, and Splendor. Pretty much I like almost everything except MTG.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 04:14:23 pm »

Can the lyncher win posthumously?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 05:33:38 pm »

Still /in :)
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 05:43:47 pm »

Still /in :)

Now just throw in some of your favorite games and you’ll be good. (Or you can also opt to be assigned a recommendation by us)
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 05:45:12 pm »

Ok I’m in.

I’ll suggest hi ho cherry o for flavor because my daughter is obsessed (and cheats like mad).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.