Miscellaneous > General Discussion

Let's Talk About Books, Baby

(1/7) > >>

raerae:
Just a thread for book recommendations.  Maybe we can get real crazy and start a forum book club someday?  Today is not that day, for me at least.  I've apparently been jamming on series lately and below are a few I really enjoyed.

* The Hatching Series - Ezekiel Boone (three books, about spiders, horror, suspense, easy read but good writing)
* The Passage Series - Justin Cronin (three books, about zombie vampires? he doesn't go into super detail which is part of what makes this extra creepy, our minds are always more terrifying than anything that can be written down)
* The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King (eight books, different for King, kind of a modern/futuristic/apocalyptic Western, incredibly moving, I absolutely cried at the last book, don't you judge me)
* Immortality & Chaos Series, Chaos & Retribution Series, Ace Lone Wolf Series - Eric T. Knight (5, 6 and 4 books, respectively, the Chaos books are medieval fantasy and just suck you right in, the Ace series is kind of campy Western-ish, reminds me of a standard detective novel but with a different flavor)

Glooble:

* The Books of Babel- Josiah Bancroft. A steampunk adventure story with amazing worldbuilding, focusing on a giant tower with mysterious origins and the cloud of airships surrounding it. Three books so far, one more coming next year.
* The Murderbot Diaries- Martha Wells. The story of a security robot (technically a construct, there's a difference) in a corporate dystopia who breaks free of its programming and wanders the galaxy helping the helpless. Except all it really wants to do is watch TV. Four books so far but they're each very short. Delightful.
* Temeraire- Naomi Novik. The Napoleonic wars the dragons. And the greatest human/dragon bromance of all time. Complete at nine books. Totally worth it.

Galzria:
I wish that I had both the time, and the attention span to read like I did when I was younger. Maybe it’s that I need a better prescription on eye glasses, but concentrating on text that small exhausts me in a way that simply didn’t occur years (and years) ago.

I read mostly non-fiction now, as I have a natural love for learning, and whenever I cross paths with something that truly piques my interest I want to know every little detail about it. But I used to be an avid Sci-Fi & Fantasy reader. I don’t think I’ve read a book in those genre’s in 10-15 years though. 😢 Definitely makes me sad that I find myself unable to get lost in stories as I could when I was younger.

Still, I highly approve this thread! Everybody should read more, regardless of how much they read now!

faust:
Relevant older thread with some excellent (<- purely objective) recommendations:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5655.0

faust:
Some recently read stuff that I enjoyed:

* Here I Am, Jonathan Safran Foer - reminded me why I love everything by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's about the inner workings of an American family and also the Middle East conflict.

* Half of a Yellow Sun, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - tells the story of the Nigerian civil war in the 60s from three perspectives. While some plot points seemed a bit clichéd, I always enjoy it when a books explores something that I know little about, and the writing is excellent.

* The Chinese Typewriter, Thomas S. Mullaney - non-fiction which is, yes, about the history of the Chinese typewriter. I picked this one up on a whim and found it utterly enjoyable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version