Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards List 2018 Edition: Ruins  (Read 4886 times)

Earl

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Earl
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
The Dominion Cards List 2018 Edition: Ruins
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:13:49 am »
+30

The Best Ruins

Well, ruins are very rarely cards you gain by choice, so their relative rankings don’t matter much. Your opponents’ Cultists are going to send them flying your way indiscriminately, regardless of where they are on this list. You have been warned.

There are no changes to these rankings from last year. In fact, there are no changes in standing greater than 3%. Perhaps after years of careful discussion, we have finally settled on a consensus.

#5 =0 Ruined Village (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 1.64% ▼0.16pp / Unweighted Average: 1.04% / Median: 0% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 5%

Except for one voice crying in the wilderness, everyone voted this on the bottom of the pile. And even that person voted it 2nd last. It sure feels great when this disappears to your Cursed Village, activates your Conspirator, or makes the Peddler affordable . . . or at least that’s what I tell myself when I’m drowning in Ruins. Mostly, it does nothing but take up a space in your hand, so to the bottom of the list with it!
#4 =0 Survivors (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 36.72% ▼0.68pp / Unweighted Average: 40.63% / Median: 25% =0pp/ Standard Deviation: 20.17%

So what was it they survived? Why do they only define themselves in relation to their past traumas? I like to think of these guys as Ruined Navigators. Perhaps they survived the Pillage. Sadly, the card’s better for fan-fiction than it is for your deck, so here it is in the next-to-last position. They got the one last place vote that Ruined Village did not.

#3 =0 Ruined Library (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 45.88% ▼0.42pp / Unweighted Average: 43.75% / Median: 50% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 18.04%

If you’re flush with villages, then at least this card replaces itself. But when you consider that terminal +2 cards is fairly weak, then terminal +1 is . . . well, yes, ruinous. Get one for the Museum points???
#2 =0 Abandoned Mine (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 70.67% ▲2.77pp / Unweighted Average: 67.71% / Median: 75% =0pp / Standard Deviation: 18.37%

As with last year, this is a really clear second place: a full 25 points separate it from the cards above and below it on the list. Sometimes it’s nice to have a copper, even if it costs you an action. Most of the time, you want $5 more than $4 or $8 more than $7, and Abandoned Mine is there for you. It’s not enough that you want in your deck, but if you line up a couple ruins in a hand with a Goat, maybe feed it the Survivors first. What a way for them to finally go.

#1 =0 Ruined Market (Dark Ages) Weighted Average: 96.6% ▼1.52pp / Unweighted Average: 96.88% / Median: 100% =0 / Standard Deviation: 10.97%

The ghost of Qvist past is here to remind us that, for two years after the release of Dark Ages, Abandoned Mine topped the list. But ever since Ruined Market has held the top slot. And the level of consensus seems to indicate that this won’t change any time soon. Every #1 vote went to Ruined Market except for two Abandoned Mine holdouts. Which is interesting for what was once the Ruin with the most disagreement.

Let’s be honest: Most of the time, it’s just another piece of junk that you want to trash ASAP, but every once in a while you find that mythical board where Ruined Market is the only +buy and you have a convenient way to gain one, and all of a sudden you’re double-Provincing against an opponent who doesn’t have that option. These situations are rare, but memorable, and they feel so damn good.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards List 2018 Edition: Ruins
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:36:07 am »
+5

I think this guy should do all of the list write-ups from now on.

DDL

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: DDL
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:06:08 pm »

I propose we don't wait until next year, and he does his own versions for the write-ups for the other categories.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 07:13:24 pm »
+1

Right now, he's unlocked the elusive achievement of a higher respect-to-posts ratio than Donald X. By a considerable margin!

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 07:57:55 pm »

Right now, he's unlocked the elusive achievement of a higher respect-to-posts ratio than Donald X. By a considerable margin!
Although not as high as that of herowannabe, who has 5 posts and 85 respect.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 05:58:57 pm »
+1

Although not as high as that of herowannabe, who has 5 posts and 85 respect.

One day--a day of legend--CelestialChameleon will return.

When Dominion becoming infinite didn't awaken him from his slumber, what will? What will he have to show us after five years? Will he look upon Dominion: Adventures with wonder? Will he look upon Dominion: Nocturne with horror? Will Villa make him smile? What can he do with Necromancer? With Capitalism? Would any of us survive the cataclysm?
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 06:16:09 pm »
+19

Why we need a ruins ranking.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 21 queries.