Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Game State/World states  (Read 3320 times)

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
Game State/World states
« on: February 22, 2019, 10:22:39 am »
+3

Idea:
Gamestates
Conditions that change a few rules when the game starts:
(still dont know what colour or name I should use.

Shard of Honor

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: Shard of Honor
  • Respect: +199
    • View Profile
    • Fan Card Creator
Re: Game State/World states
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:08:48 am »
+2

Have you seen Asper's Edicts?

You have some nice ideas here, that have potential to change the game in a substantial way.

Cursed Lands is basically an initial embargo on province and colony and does not sound fun to me, as it only slows the game down.
Ruined Lands might be more interesting as a kind of attacking project.
Protecterate could be reworded as: Duchies are also Reactions with the effect: ...
The others sounds like fun occasionally, as they lead to quicker games. But on the long run I don't think I would use them very much, because in my opinion it is more interesting to gain these advantages by building a nice deck or adapt, if the kingdom doesn't offer the possibility to do so.
You might want to check out my own fan-card creations, built with this.

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 11:20:13 am »

A turn 3 Torturer with Royal Mandate in play...

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 01:54:00 pm »
+2

You don't seem to be familiar with Renaissance given that Royal Mandate is Citadel, Trade Hub is Fair and Slave Labour is Barracks.

Civil War is crazy. Normally you have to work to get Teacher or Lost Arts or, more mundanely, enough villages in your deck but with Civil War those Witches are automatically non-terminal and superior to Laboratory. This isn't good design, there should be a cost associated with such a strong effect (like with the aforementioned +1 Action tokens from Adventures). It is probably smarter to do less radical things for horizontal cards that change the rules.
Also, the wording should probably be something like "In games using this, when you play an Attack, +1 Action."

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 02:29:56 am »

You don't seem to be familiar with Renaissance given that Royal Mandate is Citadel, Trade Hub is Fair and Slave Labour is Barracks.
."
Not yet the honour to play it. Waiting for the dutch version

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 05:20:48 am »

Yep, that's the same as Edicts. I chose blue as the color personally, because they can trigger at any time. Nice to see some more ideas for such.

Trade Hub could just be a once-per-turn Event though. I tried something like Rise of Industries in the past, and well, it wasn't popular. Although on second thought I think what I tried was the opposite, that the game can not end on piles. This is better, but has some of the same issues. Regardless, you might want to take a look at Edicts (Shard of Honor's link), for some inspiration at least.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:22:44 am by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 08:38:46 am »
+1

About Protectorate, I worded a similar Edict as: "When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard an Estate from your hand, to be unaffected by it."

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 09:18:56 am »

I feel like a game with Ruined Lands would be a degenerate IGG-like rush a lot of the time, because buying an Estate gives you VP while emptying 2 piles at once.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time imagining a situation in which Civil War would actually be fun. It generally either won't make any difference or be crushingly brutal, and a few cards like Scrying Pool, Goons and Bridge Troll would just become broken. The idea of a particular card coming with an extra action has already been handled pretty well with Lost Arts.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 03:09:55 pm »

Yep, that's the same as Edicts. I chose blue as the color personally, because they can trigger at any time. Nice to see some more ideas for such.

Trade Hub could just be a once-per-turn Event though. I tried something like Rise of Industries in the past, and well, it wasn't popular. Although on second thought I think what I tried was the opposite, that the game can not end on piles. This is better, but has some of the same issues. Regardless, you might want to take a look at Edicts (Shard of Honor's link), for some inspiration at least.

So what part of it wasn't fun?

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 03:11:30 pm »

I feel like a game with Ruined Lands would be a degenerate IGG-like rush a lot of the time, because buying an Estate gives you VP while emptying 2 piles at once.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time imagining a situation in which Civil War would actually be fun. It generally either won't make any difference or be crushingly brutal, and a few cards like Scrying Pool, Goons and Bridge Troll would just become broken. The idea of a particular card coming with an extra action has already been handled pretty well with Lost Arts.

What other way could you give attack cards a little push, aside from goons. I should never have that made an attack card. Everytime I play it I forget the attack part of it, it is so tagged on. But many attacks are not then powerful to play, so I want to give them a little push

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 03:22:19 pm »

In my case, people painted the picture of a degenerate Mountebank game, where people would have to spend turn after turn to climb back to Province level, because the merciful three-pile was unavailable. For yours, imagine a Horn of Plenty megaturn that leaves a clear winner, but forces the game to go on nonetheless.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 04:05:00 am »

In my case, people painted the picture of a degenerate Mountebank game, where people would have to spend turn after turn to climb back to Province level, because the merciful three-pile was unavailable. For yours, imagine a Horn of Plenty megaturn that leaves a clear winner, but forces the game to go on nonetheless.

We play we barely finish the game by pile out, mostly by finishing colonies or provinces. So I gues you have it the other way around.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 04:14:49 am »

We play we barely finish the game by pile out, mostly by finishing colonies or provinces. So I gues you have it the other way around.
So then imagine that a player manages to buy massive Colony points with a mega turn. Do you really want players to go through the motions of emptying three piles even though nobody else has a chance of winning anymore?

Edit: My games end on Provinces or Colony most of the time, too. It just didn't occur to me to do it the other way around.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:21:03 am by Asper »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 08:04:44 pm »

What other way could you give attack cards a little push, aside from goons. I should never have that made an attack card. Everytime I play it I forget the attack part of it, it is so tagged on. But many attacks are not then powerful to play, so I want to give them a little push

I don't think attack need a "push". Also, this does nothing if there are no attacks on the board, which happens a lot.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.