Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can Patron ever be the bane card?  (Read 5780 times)

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
Can Patron ever be the bane card?
« on: February 22, 2019, 06:19:55 am »
+3

I was reading the wiki for Patron and came across this:

Cards that can reveal Patron:
Exceptional cases: ... Young Witch (with Patron as Bane)

As Patron is $4, it cannot be the bane? While there are cost reducers, these cannot apply during setup, and can't affect Patron. Or is there something I'm missing, like maybe some card that can turn cards into other cards or something?
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Can Patron ever be the bane card?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:27:23 am »
+2

You're right, the case is impossible unless someone decided to break the rules. I'm unsure why it's in the wiki.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ospond

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: ospond
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 06:26:11 pm »

As Patron is $4, it cannot be the bane? While there are cost reducers, these cannot apply during setup, and can't affect Patron. Or is there something I'm missing, like maybe some card that can turn cards into other cards or something?

Oops, that was an oversight when I wrote that. Looks like Werothegreat fixed it by removing Young Witch from the list.

I've only played with Young Witch online, so I didn't realize the Bane had to cost 2 or 3.  :-[

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:26:01 am »
+1

Until there's a card that says "Setup: All cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0."

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:36:26 am »
+2

Until there's a card that says "Setup: All cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0."
But who gets to decide what order things happen in during setup phase?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:10:01 am by infangthief »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 12:39:36 pm »
+1

Man that sounds like a bad card. It's almost like it says "This game, the carefully chosen and tested costs of cards that Donald and the playtesters figured out will not be used; but instead you will use different amounts that are trivially unbalanced with the way Dominion was designed."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:14:49 pm »
+4

Man that sounds like a bad card. It's almost like it says "This game, the carefully chosen and tested costs of cards that Donald and the playtesters figured out will not be used; but instead you will use different amounts that are trivially unbalanced with the way Dominion was designed."

Well, it's not as if the current Dominion is the perfect game and therefore anything that changes it makes it worse. A lot of card-shaped things change very fundamental things about the game and it still works in the presence of those card-shaped things, it's just different.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:00:47 pm »
+1

Well, it's not as if the current Dominion is the perfect game and therefore anything that changes it makes it worse. A lot of card-shaped things change very fundamental things about the game and it still works in the presence of those card-shaped things, it's just different.

I agree with Awaclus. I think it would speed up the game, but not necessarily break it. Sure, it would be broken with certain cards, but most of the ways I can think of in which it would be broken are in the opening, which Baker already does with its starting Coffer, or in the endgame, which Canal already does.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:28:03 pm »
+11

Dominion players: "<X> would ruin Dominion."

(time passes)

Donald X: implements <X>

(Dominion remains un-ruined)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 03:59:41 pm »
+3

Dominion players: "<X> would ruin Dominion."

(time passes)

Donald X: implements <X>

(Dominion remains un-ruined)

Variants and Fan Cards forum: "<X> ruined Dominion"
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:18 pm »
+9

RBCI:

"Ruined Dominion" - Landmark

All cards cost $1 less this game.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 05:29:00 am »
+1

Wouldn't that cost reduction only apply during set-up, not the rest of the game?

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 01:31:43 am »

With Poor House becoming the first $1 Action card, I had a thread asking if Bane was strictly intended for $2 or $3 cards, or if Poor House sort of "mucked with that".  TL;DR is to just keep it that way for official rulings, but you're free to make Poor House a Bane card if you'd like (without of course severely breaking anything).
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

IrisHopp

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 05:11:49 pm »

Wouldn't that cost reduction only apply during set-up, not the rest of the game?

Yes, there's no cost changes during set-up. It was already confirmed that the wiki phrase was an oversight anyway.

As a tangent, bane or not, Patron is a great card! :D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.