Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Witch Hunter  (Read 2750 times)

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
Witch Hunter
« on: February 19, 2019, 06:16:36 pm »

This was an attempt at making a card that totally would never fit into my Antiquities set.

It's sort of a card for a set that assumed that you own each and every expansion.

Witch Hunter - Action-Duration-Attack - $5
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player draws a card, then reveals their hand. If a player reveals a card with the word "Curse" in its text or types, he or she receives Fear.
-
Setup: Set Fear aside face up.

It's not a good card, I'd say, but it's a fun-ish one.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:17:50 pm by Neirai the Forgiven »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Witch Hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 04:02:23 am »

This was an attempt at making a card that totally would never fit into my Antiquities set.

It's sort of a card for a set that assumed that you own each and every expansion.

Witch Hunter - Action-Duration-Attack - $5
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player draws a card, then reveals their hand. If a player reveals a card with the word "Curse" in its text or types, he or she receives Fear.
-
Setup: Set Fear aside face up.

It's not a good card, I'd say, but it's a fun-ish one.

Besides the weird interaction with less than a handful of selected kingdom cards and especially unreliable behaviour for translated versions of these, this is also strictly better than Laboratory and will behave identical to it in many games.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:47:26 am »

How is this strictly better than Laboratory? In a game without Cursers this is far, far worse than Laboratory.

I'd rather say that it is in general too weak as the other players get a sifting effect (basically an inferior version of Fugitive) that can hurt when they draw junk and have to discard something but can also be beneficial when they draw something good and can discard a Copper.
By the way, why is the card a Duration?

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 04:56:11 am »

I just wonder, what would Fear do? The wording depends on wheter it is a positive or negative card. You dont have to specify that the card has to contain the word curse. It is an type, so just "reveals a curse" is enough

Why is it an duration?

the card looks with some tweeking could be fun. Fill the other players deck fill with crap, but let them draw cards in the proces is cool.

But the flavour is missing. A witch hunter is a punishing caracter, but how curses work in this game, it is more of a "kicking when their down" situation. Maybe you have to discard a curse. You can always buy a curse to get the engine flowing.... it is almost there, I think.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 05:27:46 am »

The card containing the word "Curse" also affects cards that GIVE curses, which is why the wording's like that.

Fear's a Hex that discards stuff, this is basically a sifting Lab for the opponent, almost strictly worse than Lab but if you draw enough Victory cards it can ruin a turn, I suppose.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 08:13:28 am »

Whoops, I missed the card drawing for other players and didn't think of Cursers... How does it interact with Cursed Village or Cursed Gold?

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:34:56 am »

Quick comments:

The card is a duration because, at one point, it made people take Fear at the start of their next turn. I decided that was too weak, but forgot to knock off the Duration type.
Fear causes you to discard an Action or Treasure.

Text is the rules part of the card, so it would trigger on Cursed Gold but not Cursed Village; I could add names, or Hexes, to the target.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:45:17 am »
+2

Why have it take one specific Hex, rather than simply do an attack? Because it lets them draw a card first, there's no worry about stacking too much, so you don't need the "at least 5 cards in hand" part of Fear.

Witch Hunter - Action-Attack - $5
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player draws a card, then reveals their hand. If a player reveals a card with the word "Curse" in its text or types, he or she discards an action or treasure.

This does almost the exact same thing, with fewer words.

I still think this will help an opponent far more than it will hurt them. In a worst-case situation, you could leave your opponent with 5 Curses in hand every turn (and using your original version with Fear doesn't help that problem).

So as a whole, I don't get this card. It most situations, it's just a far worse Laboratory, just a lab that also gives your opponents a free draw. But in rare worst-case situations, it's a way to lock your opponents out of the game forever. There's almost no situations where it's a fun or balanced card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 06:44:53 pm »

The one who has Witch Hunter in hand discards, right?

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 04:28:17 pm »

The one who has Witch Hunter in hand discards, right?

Yes; there's the word "Curse" in its text.

Overall this card was meant for musing; It does some things I like, but without another way for your opponents to get Curses, it's not a great card design. On the one hand I like the part where it affects both Curses and Cursers and anti-Cursers. On the other hand I think the best defense against it is to just never buy it.

Edit: the point of taking Fear out of the Hexes pile, besides for the heck of doing something weird, would be to shrink the number of options in the Hex deck, making other Hexes... stronger? weaker? Perhaps I should have designed this around the worst hex, making all other hexes better.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:30:45 pm by Neirai the Forgiven »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 08:33:24 pm »

Witch Hunter - Action-Attack - $5
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player draws a card, may discard a card, then reveals their hand. If a player reveals a card with the word "Curse" in its text or types, he or she discards an action or treasure.  Then if no player discarded any cards, speak a sentence aloud and append it to the card "Province"'s flavor text.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.