Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2018 Edition: $3 Cards (Top Half)  (Read 16202 times)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2018 Edition: $3 Cards (Top Half)
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 12:24:09 pm »
+1

Chris is me, you're welcome to take the simulation as a joke, I'm just trying to provide some objective information instead of my useless own opinion.  I'd love to participate in the whole "compare official rankings to my own rankings" thing but when I look at my own rankings I tend to think that they're a mess, so.

Hey, I made some rankings based on Markus' statistics!  I looked at the winner's gain percentage (or buy percentage, in the case of projects/Events).  The top 5 are Star Chart, Black Market, Forager, Dungeon, and Masquerade.  The bottom 5 are Masterpiece, Fortune Teller, Banquet, Changeling, and Trade Route.

Here are the biggest disagreements:
Secret Cave - Qvist 55, Markus 19, 81% gain
Cathedral - Qvist 4, Markus 34, 64% buy
City Gate - Qvist 45, Markus 16, 83% buy
Smugglers - Qvist 36, Markus 59, 44% gain
Pageant - Qvist 33, Markus 12, 85% buy
Market Square - Qvist 30, Markus 9, 86% gain
Changeling - Qvist 41, Markus 61, 35% gain

In general, it seems like do-nothing cantrips (and harmless projects like Pageant and City Gate) have high gain percentages, but do poorly in the rankings.  Makes sense, and it does not mean that they deserve to be ranked higher.  Changeling also makes sense, because I think exchanging for a changeling doesn't count as gaining.  The main thing I'm getting out of this is that people way underbuy Cathedral.

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2018 Edition: $3 Cards (Top Half)
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 12:04:20 am »
+1

*All stats are from those collected by markus
**I don't feel passionate about most of these deviations.  They're all in the ballpark.

Major deviations (8+) from my personal list
30: Market Square (22) - A small difference here, but I value this cheap source of +buy a little more than than the consensus.  Market Square is gained by the winner in 86% of games, with an average of 3.0 copies.  Getting a bunch of cantrip +buy really helps with pile control.  And then there's the Gold gaining which sometimes offers a way to build that skips right past Silver.  Market Square has crazy combos with Donate, Hermit, and Apprentice, and works well with most trashers.
27: Enchantress (18) - The top 20 $3s are pretty stacked, but Enchantress makes it into my list.  My default is to get at least two Enchantresses in a game, and I need a pretty good reason not to do so.  The duration draw is such a boon to reliability, while the attack is usually a detriment to the opponent's reliability.  Enchantress is gained by the winner in 74% of games and is a decent opener.
23: Scheme (32) - Maybe it's inconsistent for me to value Enchantress for its consistency and have Scheme a bit lower.  But, Scheme is actually gained just as often as Enchantress despite being a cantrip.  A solid card, beyond doubt, but the $3s are stacked.
16: Hermit ( 8 ) - Hermit is a card I still don't fully understand how to play with.  It's a solid Estate and Curse trasher so long as there are decent $3s you want.  But Madman is the tricky part.  An early Madman can give a big boost, and late Madmen can fuel a megaturn.  There are some strong strategies that can keep a deck fueled by Madman draw (at least for a while).  It's gained by the winner in 85% of games, which is very high for a terminal action; I think it deserves a spot in the highly contested top 10 $3s.
15: Gear (4) - It's 2019 and people are still underrating Gear.  Gear is uniquely powerful in its ability to control your hands from turn to turn.  Feel free to read my Gear article to learn more about Gear's strengths.  Gear is gained by the winner in 80% of games and it's still one of the most undergained cards at this price point.  Buy Gear and take the control back!
13: Bonfire (21) - Okay, I'm probably biased against Bonfire.  I've had some bad experiences with Bonfire when Estate trashing was non-existent or very expensive.  But these boards are a minority, and Bonfire is often the most efficient way to trash Coppers.  After all, the winner buys it in 87% of games an average of 2.1 times per game.
9: Fishing Village (17) - Fishing Village is strong.  It provides economy and reliable +actions.  It's good to pick up early.  Unsurprisingly, the winner gains it in 86% of games.  But, I think that Fishing Village is often only marginally better than the next best option (either Silver or another village - depending on the phase of the game).  Whereas the higher ranked $3 cards are more unique and game-defining.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:05:53 am by aku_chi »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.