Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Renaissance Cards: Scepter  (Read 3673 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Renaissance Cards: Scepter
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:22:18 pm »

I dub thee... Dame Anna.  Oh, and you too, I suppose.

* How does this compare to Royal Carriage?
* How many of these do you want?
* Under what conditions (besides the trivial of no Actions in play) do you go for the +?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Renaissance Cards: Scepter
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:44 pm »
+1

You get the $2 when you really need the $2 and none of the actions are worth replaying. (+Actions is obviously irrelevant, and if you've drawn your deck, so is +Card; this can make quite a few actions worthless.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:02:25 pm »

1) They're roughly the same strength, but they each have slightly different tricks they can do in different situations.
2) As many as your draw can handle.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:19:36 pm »

As I see it, the key difference is timing. Royal Carriage lets you repeat an Action's benefit at once, but you have to have it in your hand when you play the action; with Scepter you have to wait until your Buy phase to repeat the Action's benefit, but you also don't have to have it in hand until then.

The pros and cons are fairly clear if you consider Smithy as a target. When you play Smithy, you can then play a Scepter that it draws, but it's too late to play any actions the second Scepter drew.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:09:00 pm »

As I see it, the key difference is timing. Royal Carriage lets you repeat an Action's benefit at once, but you have to have it in your hand when you play the action

I believe you mean on your Tavern mat?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:50:56 pm »
+3

I don't have a full bead on Scepter, but I know for sure that it's weaker than Royal Carriage.  One of the best things about Throne Room variants is that they can help you draw your deck and amplify your payload.  In most cases, Scepter only does one of those things.  Even though it's slightly better at amplifying payload, that doesn't make up for it's (usual) inability to help you draw your deck.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:20:09 am »

Scepter is way weaker than Royal Carriage, but there's some cool stuff it can do that RC can't, and in the occasional game where it's useful or important it can really make the difference. There's a huge combo with Sculptor and any cost reduction for those who want to find it, but even just using it to play more Monuments or Wild Hunts or Bridges can be devastating if you're the person who sees it first.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:29 am »

I believe you mean on your Tavern mat?
Well, yes. But if you play it one turn and call it the next then you're trading off increased flexibility against the Duration-like limitation of only getting to play it every other turn?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 03:32:47 pm »

Scepter is way weaker than Royal Carriage, but there's some cool stuff it can do that RC can't, and in the occasional game where it's useful or important it can really make the difference. There's a huge combo with Sculptor and any cost reduction for those who want to find it, but even just using it to play more Monuments or Wild Hunts or Bridges can be devastating if you're the person who sees it first.

RC also doesn't have a broken combo with Scholar.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.