Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playtesting and Printing non-Fan Cards?  (Read 1604 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Playtesting and Printing non-Fan Cards?
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:28:29 am »

I soon will be playtesting my cards with my opponents.  I have discovered that printing the cards can quickly drive up the cost of this hobby.  Someone suggesting just 'sleeving' a paper copy in with the blank cards.  This seems to be sufficient enough to 'mask' my Fan card with the other Dominion cards.
Here is my dilemma.  I am not a fan of sleeving my regular cards as they are not easy to shuffle.
So I am THINKING of printing off paper copies of the regular cards I want to use as my playtest Kingdom. This is so that ALL of my playtest cards have the same 'look and feel'.
This seems like it could cross into a grey-area.  Has anyone done something similar? How does BGG and Donald X approach this sensitive topic?
Thanks

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Re: Playtesting and Printing non-Fan Cards?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:52:56 pm »
+1

It seems to me either way you do it will be expensive. I did about 150 to 200 cards and it costed me about 50 dollars. so Printing them out will be about the equivalent of buying 2 dominion expansions.

And that was before I play tested them. Only one of my Action cards needs to be reworked on. The others did fine in the play testing.

So if it’s too expensive. Just create a few at a time then next month or so create a few more. Like I’m planning on for snowline like 7 (70ish) at a time.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:58:31 pm by ClouduHieh »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 12:45:26 am »

I have only had an easier time shuffling sleeved cards. This is one of the biggest benefits of sleeves, in my opinion. As long as you don't mash the open edges into each other you're fine. I usually mash the back corners into each other and then slide the rest in.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:30:52 pm »

I have only had an easier time shuffling sleeved cards. This is one of the biggest benefits of sleeves, in my opinion. As long as you don't mash the open edges into each other you're fine. I usually mash the back corners into each other and then slide the rest in.

This.

You don’t riffle shuffle sleeved cards. You mash them together; the sleeves facilitate this.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:32:31 pm »

You could use blank cards, and pull up an image of the fan card on a phone for reference. If you don't have blanks, you could use a different stack of kingdom cards and pretend they're he fan card.
ex: take out the pile for cellar, but tell who you're playing with "This pile is "fan card name"."

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 02:36:59 pm »

You could use blank cards, and pull up an image of the fan card on a phone for reference. If you don't have blanks, you could use a different stack of kingdom cards and pretend they're he fan card.
ex: take out the pile for cellar, but tell who you're playing with "This pile is "fan card name"."

This.
When testing my Antiquity expansion, I would have a spreadsheet of the rules, like: Card: Ghoul. Rules: It does this. It's being played by: Rabble. etc.

Then, I rotated the Kingdom piles by 90 degrees, to remind players to look at the spreadsheet. After a few times, people got it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.