Archive > Dominion: Renaissance Previews

Artifact Origin cards as a card type

(1/10) > >>

DooWopDJ:
As I was re-organizing my cards and noticed that the 'origin' cards for the Artifacts did not have their own 'card type'.  I am not intending to criticize the introduction of this new concept, but the other non-card type cards (at least in Renaissance have some sort of 'origin' card.  Doom > Hex, Fate > Boon.  Why did the Artifacts 'origin' card not have their own type? Maybe 'Reward' or 'Trophy'.  I doubt it was an 'oversight' by design.

Squidd:
There would be no rules benefit to a new type. Several cards can add Hexes to the game, so tagging them with Doom means you can put that rule in one place instead of saying it separately for each card. But only Flagbearer adds Flag. Even if you had some Artifact-Bringer type, you would still have to spell out in the rulebook which artifact it brings.

There is precedent of cards that uniquely add another card (Hermit, etc) and those didn't get a special type either.

GendoIkari:
The difference with Doom and Fate is that Hexes and Boons require some setup. The card type is there so that you can see "I have a Fate card; I need to shuffle the Boons".

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: DooWopDJ on February 06, 2019, 09:09:16 am ---As I was re-organizing my cards and noticed that the 'origin' cards for the Artifacts did not have their own 'card type'.  I am not intending to criticize the introduction of this new concept, but the other non-card type cards (at least in Renaissance have some sort of 'origin' card.  Doom > Hex, Fate > Boon.  Why did the Artifacts 'origin' card not have their own type? Maybe 'Reward' or 'Trophy'.  I doubt it was an 'oversight' by design.

--- End quote ---
Types are used in Dominion either to have rules tied to them, or because making the cards a different color has value.

Those cases did not come up here; so, no new type.

DooWopDJ:

--- Quote from: Squidd on February 06, 2019, 09:23:47 am ---There would be no rules benefit to a new type. Several cards can add Hexes to the game, so tagging them with Doom means you can put that rule in one place instead of saying it separately for each card. But only Flagbearer adds Flag. Even if you had some Artifact-Bringer type, you would still have to spell out in the rulebook which artifact it brings.

There is precedent of cards that uniquely add another card (Hermit, etc) and those didn't get a special type either.

--- End quote ---

Excellent insight on consequences of 'new types'.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version