Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion current Popularity?  (Read 11426 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion current Popularity?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 01:58:08 pm »
+4

For me it's pretty bad that people are posting rules questions on Discord, especially if it's a new question and Donald replies only there. It would be really bad if an actual ruling was made only on Discord. But in general I also want to catch rules question I know the answer to, because it helps me see new parts of the rules that people can be confused about, or even lead me to consider some other interaction I hadn't thought about. (I'm talking about maintaining my rules document.)

I just don't personally have the time or inclination to participate in that kind of chatting, and certainly not to monitor it constantly. And as far as I can figure out posts are not categorized in any coherent way, so searching for stuff is pointless (or maybe impossible anyway).

(Additionally, I prefer little but pithy content to just a lot of content just for the sake of it.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 02:10:17 pm »
+4

Can someone explain stuff to me, as someone who has just briefly used Discord? It looks like just a big chat room... like Slack or Skype or whatever. Is it not? I don't understand how it's a substitute or replacement for a forum; it seems like a completely different thing. Someone could ask a question, and the person who knows the answer logs on the next day; they won't see that question, because lots of other messages have been sent since then. How would a person even start to see what new stuff has been posted since they last checked?

The way people talk about Discord makes me think I must be completely misunderstanding what it is. But I've seen it first-hand, though just a tiny bit. It looks like a chat room.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 02:49:25 pm »
+2

Can someone explain stuff to me, as someone who has just briefly used Discord? It looks like just a big chat room... like Slack or Skype or whatever. Is it not? I don't understand how it's a substitute or replacement for a forum; it seems like a completely different thing. Someone could ask a question, and the person who knows the answer logs on the next day; they won't see that question, because lots of other messages have been sent since then. How would a person even start to see what new stuff has been posted since they last checked?

The way people talk about Discord makes me think I must be completely misunderstanding what it is. But I've seen it first-hand, though just a tiny bit. It looks like a chat room.

The way it works is that you have it open all the time and you check it whenever you aren't in the middle of doing something (or sometimes even when you are). There's a red indicator that tells you if new stuff has been posted since you last checked. If you're asking a question only one person knows the answer to, you can ping them which turns the red indicator into a red "1" so they know that something requires their attention specifically, but most of the time a lot of people know the answer so you can just ask and someone probably answers, and if nobody replies and the discussion moves on, you can try asking again later.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 03:59:39 pm »
+2

It's multiple chat rooms, mostly themed around Dominion topics. The channels are like threads, although they will end up with sub-topics that can be like threads too. A new topic getting talked about a bunch, or the anticipation of that, can cause a new channel to get made, e.g. the current cardqvist channel; when it dies down it gets archived, e.g. the championship channel. You can see what people are saying, reply to them, start a new conversation.

I mean, so the qvist lists have been posted here, and people have discussed them some here, but way more in the discord channel. On the last page as of this moment, it is mostly talk about Scepter. They talked about Scepter; it worked out fine. People said things and said things about things. It in no way suffered from the lack of ability of someone to easily join the conversation many hours later, and in fact you could join that conversation now, or mention something someone said hours earlier if you wanted.

otoh, the qvist lists themselves aren't on the discord; that content is better for forums or front pages.

When I log on, it jumps me to the start of new stuff in each channel as I click on it. I scroll through it at whatever pace, depending on how interesting it is. There's a lot of "here's a board, what would you have done differently" and I don't usually read those.

I recommend just trying it out; go on, say something about a topic, see how it goes.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 04:30:00 pm »
+6

The trend I would like to see is Discord getting used for random ephemeral notes and forums getting used for more long-form content or distillation of things people talk about on Discord. The search feature in Discord is okay but still a bit worse than forums IMO (I think forum search lets you add more conditions.)

This only works if people decide to actually post things on the forum now and then, instead of only using Discord.

I am appreciating the forum history a lot, since I've been working on-and-off on a history of Dominion article, and it's been very valuable to look up primary-source reactions to Goko's announcement, for example. If this was on Discord I'd have to go search and scroll back through a big unorganized feed of comments from 5 years ago. It doesn't have as strict of a thread system as forums. People start and pick up old conversations wherever they want on Discord, but it's all interleaved into one big stream.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 02:28:00 pm »
+1

To get back to the original question, I think an aspect of the change in Dominion's popularity has to be that it basically birthed a huge genre which is the deck-building game. Regardless of whether you consider other deck-builders to be Dominion's equal, the fact is that while people who like deck-building games used to have one place to go and it was Dominion, now they have 1,000 places to go and only some of them are Dominion.

But that probably goes both ways -- all those other deck-building games are entry points that will lead some percentage of people who discover them back to Dominion.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2019, 04:24:28 pm »

To get back to the original question, I think an aspect of the change in Dominion's popularity has to be that it basically birthed a huge genre which is the deck-building game. Regardless of whether you consider other deck-builders to be Dominion's equal, the fact is that while people who like deck-building games used to have one place to go and it was Dominion, now they have 1,000 places to go and only some of them are Dominion.

But that probably goes both ways -- all those other deck-building games are entry points that will lead some percentage of people who discover them back to Dominion.
I wonder how many start out with 'Other' Deck Builders and THEN discover Dominion.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 08:34:28 pm »

I tried Discord one time.  I was quite confused at first.  I still am.  My initial impressions were that it was some sort of "glorified chat room/IM service".  I used it to ask questions for one of the Final Fantasy game remakes.  As mentioned by a few posts here, it didn't seem to be the appropriate utility/software for question based topics, so that did get me to write it off, and just stick with message forums.

However, I have been made aware, even back then, that Discord has gone up in popularity.  So for naysayers (including myself :\), it's here to stay, and worth considering as a viable means to discuss one's topics of interest).

I've been going to board game conventions for the better part of the past decade.  I remember my first game Dominion in 2008...

I was at a con that focuses on eurogames (although other types/genres were welcome).  Trying out Dominion was on my "to do" list, but I was playing so many other games that by the time I got around to this, it was already 2am.  I looked around, there were still 10+ tables of gaming going on.  One game I couldn't get in.. they were full. Another one, I did get in.  1 guy could teach, and the other 2 players were new.  We ended up playing 2 games (The First Game and Big Money presets).  It was awesome  8)

Over the next few years, I'd see quite a few games of Dom. being played as a wandered the floors of such conventions.  They also got played at various, meet ups, get togethers of gaming groups.  Intrigue, Seaside, Alchemy, and Prosperity.. those were hot expansions!

In the past few years, Dominion either is nowhere to be seen, or perhaps you may see a game or 2 of it in play.  But that's out of "a sea of tables" (up to 40 tables in some cases).  Or, I see someone with a very large box, I look inside, and see he's got 10+ sets of Dominion cards in there, so even though that copy wasn't being played at the moment I walked by, it does show someone has it and brought it in. 

Dominion is still great, but there are just soo many other great games out there, let alone great DBG.  Kickstarter exploding in popularity helped get even more games out onto the market otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:38:14 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 12:57:53 pm »
+2

In the past few years, Dominion either is nowhere to be seen, or perhaps you may see a game or 2 of it in play.  But that's out of "a sea of tables" (up to 40 tables in some cases).  Or, I see someone with a very large box, I look inside, and see he's got 10+ sets of Dominion cards in there, so even though that copy wasn't being played at the moment I walked by, it does show someone has it and brought it in. 
It seems nice to have presence at cons, but that may be skewed towards new games, and there are other metrics. For example: https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/42622/top-10-hobby-channel-card-dice-games-fall-2018

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 12:30:48 am »

It seems nice to have presence at cons, but that may be skewed towards new games, and there are other metrics. For example: https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/42622/top-10-hobby-channel-card-dice-games-fall-2018

Nice! Happy to see The Mind on there as well.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 10:55:29 am »

I wish they gave more info on what metrics those are gong off of. It says "reflects sales", and then also says it's based on interviewing retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. But is this about the number of copies of a game that gets bought? Seems silly to compare a $40 game to a $10 game in this way. And for an LCG, what does "number of copies" even mean? You can buy small expansion packs, right? Is that counted the same as buying a full game?

I'm just mad that Exploding Kittens is on any sort of top 10 list.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 04:26:42 pm »

Have you seen the list of the ten most funded kickstarter campaigns? I believe it was number one when it came out. There have been a few that have made more since then, but I believe it is still seventh (as of now; but there is another one which given its current growth rate is likely to push it down to eighth).
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 04:49:43 pm »

Have you seen the list of the ten most funded kickstarter campaigns? I believe it was number one when it came out. There have been a few that have made more since then, but I believe it is still seventh (as of now; but there is another one which given its current growth rate is likely to push it down to eighth).

Ugh. If you want a completely stupid game based only on the fact that kittens are cute; but actually has substance and fun gameplay, play Tem-Purr-A.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 05:41:08 pm »
+2

Ugh. If you want a completely stupid game based only on the fact that kittens are cute; but actually has substance and fun gameplay, play Tem-Purr-A.

Exploding Kittens is based only on the fact that it's created by famous webcomic authors.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 10:17:40 pm »

Exploding Kittens is based only on the fact that it's created by famous webcomic authors.

I never knew about the connection to The Oatmeal before now.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 11:44:45 pm »

But they're obviously doing something right, if they are that successful. Maybe it's not the game itself, but something they're doing has worked out for them.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 08:21:32 am »

If you want a game based on a web cartoon, Joking Hazard is much superior. There's an actual game in that one!

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 10:16:32 am »

I'm not saying it's a good game; I'm saying it's a successful game.

Although I do think there are times in which a game that isn't really much of a game is just what I need. Those moments aren't common; I'd usually much prefer to play an actual game. But they exist, and Exploding Kittens is one of the games that does a good job then.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 12:29:48 pm »

But they're obviously doing something right, if they are that successful. Maybe it's not the game itself, but something they're doing has worked out for them.

Yes, it's not the game itself, it's the webcomic.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 12:59:59 pm »
+1

Although I do think there are times in which a game that isn't really much of a game is just what I need. Those moments aren't common; I'd usually much prefer to play an actual game. But they exist, and Exploding Kittens is one of the games that does a good job then.

We Didn't Playtest This At All is a good non-game for this that I found much more fun than Exploding Kittens.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 08:24:48 pm »

We Didn't Playtest This At All is a good non-game for this that I found much more fun than Exploding Kittens.

Okay, true. Now that I think of it, there are multiple non-games that I would consider better than Exploding Kittens.
And We Didn't Playtest is strictly better.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 21 queries.