Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession, but exactly what you'd expect the card to do based on the name  (Read 2696 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
+2

Possession - Action - Attack
Trash this. If you do, you control the player to your left on their next turn.
(You can see all cards they see, and you make all decisions for them.)

Based off of Mindslaver from MTG. Aside from the fact it's an attack that only hurts one opponent, this still seems like it could be an interesting though broken card.

Without any support at all, in a 2 player game, it could be read as "each other player gains a curse. Take an extra turn after this". The problem comes with trashers and +buy. Opponent basically gains a Curse per +buy that can be gotten on their turn. When Curses are gone, it's a Copper/Estate junker instead. But with trashers, it's the worst. Definitely swingy depending on what you can do with their turn, but the ability to trash whatever you can is way too good.

Worth noting that Donate doesn't work; the trashing happens after the turn when they are in control again. Though you can force on them.

The defense against this card is to not buy trashers, mostly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:40:03 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile

I thought with original possession any card trashed are returned to the previous owner. Cause when I played online before it was banned, I thought hey I’ll trash some of there really good cards, but then I noticed all the cards I trashed weren’t in the trash, and they were using them once again. The thing with possession I’ve noticed (my opinion) is you can’t control their turn to play attacks unless you want to hurt yourself, and then there have been times when there hand was awful and I barely got a silver out the deal, then they got to go again and had a powerful hand. So (in my opinion) possession has never been as nasty as some of the real attack cards. I think (in my opinion) the real reason why people hate it is because they don’t like having there turn controled by someone else. Unless they had a horrible hand. You played possession Thank you so much here check out my whole hand. Copper, silver, familiar, familiar, province. Sure go ahead play my familiars there’s still some curses. Ahh fine skip your Action phase, buy a silver, you got a silver lucky you. Ah not it’s my turn ooh this is gonna be powerful hand, and it’s all thanks to you. So sometimes in my experience playing it is only hurting yourself.

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile

But with your version it doesn’t say you don’t lose cards that were trashed. Also how would they get curses? The only one who gets curses is the person who is controlling there turn. The ony Way I can think the player your controlling gets curses is if you have them play hideout trash an estate and gain a curse.

However the original possession wouldn’t let you do that they would still end up getting there estate back and you would of gained the curse instead, because you gain all the cards they would have instead.

That’s one difference between your version. But how would they gain curses for + buys, I’m drawing a blank? Oh never mind your version is different so you could buy curses for them.

Hmm with that said I like your version better.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:28:17 am by ClouduHieh »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile

Right, my version doesn't have either the "gained cards and debt go to the Possessor", or the "trashed cards return to the owner" aspects. It's also not an "extra" turn for the Possessed player, so they lose their regular turn. So you could just spend the turn buying a Curse, which would almost always be what you would do.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ClouduHieh

• Minion
    • View Profile

Well if it’s still going to cost the same, and get trashed it needs to have an immediate benefit for player and/or an additional attack.

Like maybe +4$ and a potion.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:31:53 pm by ClouduHieh »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile

Right, my version doesn't have either the "gained cards and debt go to the Possessor", or the "trashed cards return to the owner" aspects. It's also not an "extra" turn for the Possessed player, so they lose their regular turn. So you could just spend the turn buying a Curse, which would almost always be what you would do.

You'd also make them play Possessions in multiplayer ;-)
Or rather, make your version possess every other player - there's no reason to make it political when its strength now correlates negatively with the number of opponents.

To make this variant somewhat workable, I think you should keep the "return trashed cards" clause from the original (either for all cards or at least for all $5+ cards trashed). And I suppose the price is too high for a one-shot card.

On that matter, could the original Possession work as a one-shot (at a cheaper price)? That would remove all stalemate risks...

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile

Is there a reason you didn't make it an Event? I created a different thread a while back about Possession as a (one-shot) Event.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
+1

Is there a reason you didn't make it an Event?
As an event, it could lock the other player out of the game if you can consistently buy it each turn. As a one-shot card, it's limited to ten uses per game.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile

Sounds fun with Lurker...
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.