Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Monument/IGG vs. Chapel/Lighthouse/Peddler/Trade Route  (Read 2749 times)

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
Monument/IGG vs. Chapel/Lighthouse/Peddler/Trade Route
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »

So if anyone needs a ranking boost, go ahead and play me a few times. I am on a definite cannot-win streak. Anyway, here's another game I thought should have been a win:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/08/game-20120308-124929-6fc36473.html

One consolation is that the opponent is top notch, so losing isn't too depressing. But I still think my strategy was superior. Any comments from the experts out there?

My monuments collided three times, which seemed more than average for a deck with two non-drawing terminals and no trashing. Despite the collisions, I can't help thinking that a third Monument might have been an improvement, as his cycling allowed his single Monument to nearly keep pace with my pair.

Also I was able to buy four Provinces after the IGGs were gone, but had a really hard time getting to $5 for Duchies otherwise. Isn't an IGG deck supposed to be pretty consistent in picking up Duchies for the three-pile? Should I have gained coppers other than when it was necessary to reach $5 or $8?

And of course I was second player, so perhaps there is some solace in that, although my next turn would again have produced only $4.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Monument/IGG vs. Chapel/Lighthouse/Peddler/Trade Route
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:29:53 pm »

I way overbuy IGG, and probably would have in this set too, but after looking at the board more closely it really doesn't make sense. Chapel is the best trasher out there, and Peddlers give you coin AND can be purchased even when you don't have money in play, because of the buy phase discount.

The bottom line is that he can handle your cursing and still built his deck, whereas IGGs can't keep pace in a Province game (as opposed to a Duchy rush). I think his strategy is better for this board.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:34:23 pm »

Should I have gained coppers other than when it was necessary to reach $5 or $8?

Haven't read the log, but this was probably a factor.  Fairly sure the simulators have taught that IGG rushes usually benefit from grabbing the copper whenever possible.  When Duchies are your target, Copper is a fine card to have.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:51:02 pm »

Peddlers give you coin AND can be purchased even when you don't have money in play, because of the buy phase discount.

And that combos well with lighthouse - lighthouse lowers the cost of peddler on both this turn and the next one.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »

Not counting your opening you whiffed (missed $5) 6 times in your 22 turns, which hurt you most in the end game when you were drawing $4, and having to settle for Estates. That's 27% of the time when you could have hit $5 or better you missed, which strikes me as a little high. If you'd been able to buy Duchies and IGGs a little bit faster I personally think it would have ended in your favour. Look at how close it was even with chwhite getting his engine going.

chwhite's strategy clearly dominates longer games, but it seems slow to set up and slow to get to Provinces. He doesn't get his first until turn 17 which doesn't seem fast enough to me, even in a Curse game.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:19:42 pm »

Both of us were somewhat unlucky- my Chapel hitting four coppers instead of any estates at all, then missing the next reshuffle, definitely slowed me down a couple turns as well.  And I'm pretty sure I misclicked one turn (turn 10 I believe) where I could have gotten rid of another card with Chapel.  I mean, I still had one of my original Estates in my deck at the end, that shouldn't have happened.

Play this again, and I'm sure it would go faster for both of us. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:46:49 pm »

The thing I'm dumbfounded with in this game - how did mr. IGG get 4 provinces?

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:51:06 pm »

tlloyd's IGGs kept clumping together.  The flip side of drawing lots of $4s is that he also drew lots of $8s, in other words it wasn't as unlucky as it might have seemed.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:50:54 pm »

Also I believe if only one player goes IGG's he's not getting any curses and doesn't have to take as many coppers to reach $5 and so sees a higher IGG concentration leading to more provinces. 

But personally, I think this game is a good one to skip IGG altogether. It's too easy to stay ahead of the curses.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:57:25 pm »

I think chwhite might have benefited from getting a Trade Route earlier, because those pick up Peddlers faster in a slim deck. If he draws $5 with 4 other Action cards in play, IGG + Peddler might be a strong move.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:21:45 pm »

tlloyd's IGGs kept clumping together.  The flip side of drawing lots of $4s is that he also drew lots of $8s, in other words it wasn't as unlucky as it might have seemed.

This is also relevant to the question whether to gain coppers with IGG. To the extent you do you make buying Duchies easier, but buying Provinces harder.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:24:08 am »

was Chwhite right to ignore remodel peddler->province? It seems pretty strong here, even under IGG.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.