Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 123  All

Author Topic: RMM52: Deep Space Nine Mafia Redux (GAME OVER, Maquis win!)  (Read 377573 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
Re: RMM52: Deep Space Nine Mafia Redux (PMs sent. Night 0)
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2019, 02:36:08 pm »

Advice for Jake
While I'm telling people what to do, Jake should absolutely hold off on triggering until at least the day he thinks he's going to be lynched. It would help to trigger it earlier in the day, not like when the wagon is L-1 or something, but sometimes you go into a night thinking "I'm so obvtown, I'm totally going to eat the kill" and if you live that night, we're better served by not having triggered the IC ability.

Eventually most people get suspected again no matter how widely townread they were earlier on, and when you feel the game shifting in that direction, I think that's the time to trigger it, enough time left in the Day that the ability is useful but not so early in the game as to have been useless because you were being townread anyway. Because with the weak protections in the game, and the possibility of them being scum, Jake is very likely to die the night after he goes off.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2019, 02:37:33 pm »

In RMM51, it definitely helped scum a ton that a lot of information was available and that a lot of it was true. We were able to make very informed decisions most nights.

Yeah, and I think some of the most useful bits of information were what players not to worry too much about. Which is even more true here since the setup is open

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2019, 02:38:17 pm »

While we're on the subject, I'd totally have made the previous post as Jake.

WIFOM WIFOM WIFOM

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2019, 02:56:27 pm »

Right, no, I forgot we have to wait a day.

Hmm. Back to vote: e

PPE: Eddie = Uncleeurope.

See, I told you we should be voting faust

I disagree and will also vote: europe
If we lynch him today, the Universal Backup will inherit the Hated Godfather. We do not want that.
right unvote
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2019, 03:01:51 pm »

Hi! Hi! Hi! Hi! Hi!

I’m at a conference in Seattle for work this weekend, so I’m not going to be present in any real way until Tuesday.

I read the OG version of the game on the plane last night. Holy cow...Day 1 was like 2 weeks long. 50 pages! I’m glad y’all cut that ish down before I got here.

My favorite part was when yuma claimed he hadn't used the role he was lying about having because he accidentally e-mailed the mod's old e-mail address that he never checks and people actually bought it.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2019, 03:17:41 pm »

I've come to appreciate RVS but I get the RVS is lame argument, used to feel that way too but now I kind of like it. Which is why I'm a bit sad this is a totally serious vote.
Dude, like NOTHING has happened.  We aren't at serious-vote stage yet, that's absurd.

Mafia is a team game, and decisions each player makes effect their whole team.
Yeah, but I trust in my own ability to work what is best for the whole town and not pick bad options only because they save myself for a bit.  It seems that the whole basis for your "let me tell you what you should do" post is that other players are too short-sighted to figure out what seems immediately bad for them versus what is long-term bad for town.  A) that's wrong and B) that's rude.

Also, Shraeye, just sit out the theory talk so you don't soft not-X info if you want, but with this setup we're going to need to talk theory at certain points, especially after claims.
Like, literally, this.  I can make that decision for myself. #sarcasticthanks

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2019, 03:29:16 pm »

I've come to appreciate RVS but I get the RVS is lame argument, used to feel that way too but now I kind of like it. Which is why I'm a bit sad this is a totally serious vote.
Dude, like NOTHING has happened.  We aren't at serious-vote stage yet, that's absurd.

Mafia is a team game, and decisions each player makes effect their whole team.
Yeah, but I trust in my own ability to work what is best for the whole town and not pick bad options only because they save myself for a bit.  It seems that the whole basis for your "let me tell you what you should do" post is that other players are too short-sighted to figure out what seems immediately bad for them versus what is long-term bad for town.  A) that's wrong and B) that's rude.

Also, Shraeye, just sit out the theory talk so you don't soft not-X info if you want, but with this setup we're going to need to talk theory at certain points, especially after claims.
Like, literally, this.  I can make that decision for myself. #sarcasticthanks

I trust you to make the right decision, you are basically conf!town at this point
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2019, 03:30:13 pm »

Speaking of the right decision, more people should vote faust. If they actually turn out scum then I am basically an IC
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2019, 03:40:37 pm »

Guess again!
Vote: shraeye

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2019, 04:11:25 pm »

Speaking of the right decision, more people should vote faust. If they actually turn out scum then I am basically an IC
You should try this on someone else if you want to become an IC.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2019, 04:17:18 pm »

Also we obviously can't control when people claim, but faust, shraeye and others (and Joth in the Ancillary game) are really pushing this thing where it's all up to the town. Obvious it is up to the individual players but it is very much worth discussing. I was serious when I said I thought it had hurt town in Ancillary Mafia, the only thing I was lying about there was being upset about it.
The main problem in discussing it is that invariably people will drop hints about whether they are the role in question etc. That kind of half-info is the worst we can do, but on the other hand, it is kind of impossible to get to a town consensus without going through revealing discussion.

So I advocate townies deciding for themselves. They may make the wrong decision, but at least that means that at the end of the day, I get to yell at them and blame them for losing the game for us if they do.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2019, 04:29:51 pm »

You should try this on someone else if you want to become an IC.

Back at you

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2019, 04:46:52 pm »

They may make the wrong decision, but at least that means that at the end of the day, I get to yell at them and blame them for losing the game for us if they do.

I get tired of yelling though.

But seriously, I think it really needs saying given the rash of unnecessary and kind of bad claims lately surrounded by most of the yelling being "Everyone can decide for themselves, stop telling me what to do, ya jerk. By the way, I'm a VT."

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2019, 04:54:00 pm »

In that daily effort in which intelligence and passion mingle and delight each other, the absurd man discovers reads that will make up the greatest of his strengths.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2019, 04:58:00 pm »

I'm not even talking about bad choices that save yourself, and I'm not explicitly talking about you. I'm talking about bad choices that don't even serve a purpose. Collectively towns don't act in the best interest of town all the time, and it feels like there's this movement for everyone to just be chill with that.

I'm not sorry about being rude, because the alternative is to keep patting people on the back for making suboptimal decisions and not thinking things through, because that's their right as players.

The only consequence for bad claims is getting picked on about it a bit, and I think we need to do a bit more of that.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2019, 04:59:41 pm »

Like the only reason I'm even saying this is people keep jumping up to say "It's okay, town can just claim at whatever dumb time they want and anyone telling them otherwise is a big dumb jerk."

Won't anyone think of the big dumb jerks?

Anyway, care to guess why I voted for faust?

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2019, 05:11:18 pm »

You missed the fact that he unvoted Uncle, didn't you?

Now, serious talk: anyone who knows Robz's meta, does he analyze setups? Does he like to break setups? Is he usually good at theory talk in general?

So, uncle claimed...well that makes him unlynchable, so he might as well be the IC for this day, right?

Vote: raerae, I happen to like e's reason to townread shraeye, and your vote seems like a good way to not play RVS, since he's not dying today.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2019, 05:14:08 pm »

Now, serious talk: anyone who knows Robz's meta, does he analyze setups? Does he like to break setups? Is he usually good at theory talk in general?

So, uncle claimed...well that makes him unlynchable, so he might as well be the IC for this day, right?

Vote: raerae, I happen to like e's reason to townread shraeye, and your vote seems like a good way to not play RVS, since he's not dying today.

And why can't shraeye be our lunch today? He seems just as on the table as everybody else?

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2019, 05:18:47 pm »

I think Gul Dukat should claim.

I think everyone should claim to be (or not to be) hated at L-2. I don't see the advantage of outing a non-cop instantly.

Why would you out a cop instantly?

I feel like I should answer this: just because I said I didn't see the advantage of outing a non-cop doesn't mean I saw an advantage in outing cops: we were talking about Gul, and we know that he's not a cop.

PPE 1: Because I have an uncanny ability to see the future; with this, I can predict that e won't flip his townread, and I expect to strenghten mine as well. I might be reading too much into this, being early D1 and all, but I use all information we have available.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2019, 05:22:31 pm »

UoS has a good point. Like, it goes without saying that when to claim is up to each individual player. And regardless of what you think about claiming in general, this particular game is set up in such a way as to make claiming much, much more useful for scum than it is for town. Because role has almost no impact on alignment. So scum knowing where the power roles are is very, very good for them, sinc they can take out the most powerful town. Town knowing people's roles is especially unhelpful because it doesn't actually help us catch scum at all.

Dukat was arguably an exception because hated is a good thing to know about so you don't accidentally hammer someone and I guess it helps cops to not waste a shot. But any additional claims are just going to help scum get more useful night kills. So let's not do that.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2019, 05:23:51 pm »

What was my reason that shraeye is town?

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2019, 05:25:25 pm »

I think Gul Dukat should claim.

I think everyone should claim to be (or not to be) hated at L-2. I don't see the advantage of outing a non-cop instantly.

Why would you out a cop instantly?

I feel like I should answer this: just because I said I didn't see the advantage of outing a non-cop doesn't mean I saw an advantage in outing cops: we were talking about Gul, and we know that he's not a cop.

PPE 1: Because I have an uncanny ability to see the future; with this, I can predict that e won't flip his townread, and I expect to strenghten mine as well. I might be reading too much into this, being early D1 and all, but I use all information we have available.

That doesn't really answer my question. The way you worded this implies that there's a perfectly logical reason to out a cop right away, and I'm struggling to see when that would ever be a good idea, especially in a setup where town has so few protective roles, possibly even none.

He/ Him

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2019, 05:28:29 pm »

What was my reason that shraeye is town?

There are no masons, no cop results, and I doubt this is partner interaction. Thus I believe that you have a genuine townread.

Mine is him soft-claiming not Gul feeling very casual, that and his general jokey-ness, which I believe comes from town!shraeye, based on previous games I read.

Any questions?

PPE 1: There are no advantages of outing a cop. There are also no advantages of outing a non-cop. Please state if you wish for me to clarify.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2019, 05:45:42 pm »

this is backwards thinking vote: E
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2019, 05:53:23 pm »

Hey everyone.
Weekend prod dodge.
Will dive in tomorrow.
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.837 seconds with 20 queries.