Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 1st Edition vs 2nd Edition (of Revised Expansion)  (Read 2209 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
1st Edition vs 2nd Edition (of Revised Expansion)
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:02:51 pm »

I am curious why the Revised versions of the Non-Dominion/Intrigue Editions do not indicate they are the 2nd Edition?  Most of them have 'revised' cards (wording and art) so to me that feels like a 2nd Edition.
My guess is that because there were not any 'significant' changes to warrant the '2nd Edition' markings.
Thanks
-DooWopDJ

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Edition vs 2nd Edition (of Revised Expansion)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 06:49:28 pm »

What art was changed? Also, I'm assuming that they thought it was basiclly the same and didn't want to make a update pack for every one.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 09:41:09 am »

What art was changed? Also, I'm assuming that they thought it was basically the same and didn't want to make a update pack for every one.
The 'art' was lightened for all of the cards, but it seems a significant number of cards were 'reworded' (either for gender and/or rules clarification and/or playability).  I was just curious if there was any conversation about this in the community.  Thanks.

KingPeter

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: KingPeter
  • When in doubt, engine
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:08:51 am »

There were no fundamental changes to the cards in the sets, unlike Base and Intrigue.  Better worded cards and rules shouldn't change how the cards actually play, so it doesn't constitute enough to call them 2nd Edition.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 11:41:13 am »
+1

I am curious why the Revised versions of the Non-Dominion/Intrigue Editions do not indicate they are the 2nd Edition?  Most of them have 'revised' cards (wording and art) so to me that feels like a 2nd Edition.
My guess is that because there were not any 'significant' changes to warrant the '2nd Edition' markings.
The ones marked as second editions have new cards.

The new wordings are ubiquitous but very few actually change functionality. I think the only new art is Moat and base cards.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 07:57:51 pm »

Grand Market apparently says "Coppers" now instead of "Copper." I'm glad I already had Prosperity so I don't have to worry about buying half a dozen copies to get one from before the game was ruined by making treasure countable.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 09:40:57 am »

Actually, since coin tokens have an additional use now, does this mean the 1st edition Guilds cards give you something that could either be a Coffer or a Villager?

...Or do they give you nothing because they tell you to take a Coin Token, but don't tell you to put it on mat?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 10:17:55 am »
+1

Actually, since coin tokens have an additional use now, does this mean the 1st edition Guilds cards give you something that could either be a Coffer or a Villager?

...Or do they give you nothing because they tell you to take a Coin Token, but don't tell you to put it on mat?
They put a token on your Coffers mat, exactly like the second edition ones do.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 11:42:36 pm »

They put a token on your Coffers mat, exactly like the second edition ones do.

Yes, I know. I was sort of making a joke, wondering if the text could be interpreted in a new way in light of new mechanics.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 02:21:56 pm »
+1

Actually, they make your Pirate Ship better.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.