Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: List of interactions that trigger in the "trigger window"  (Read 1204 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
List of interactions that trigger in the "trigger window"
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:42:01 pm »
+1

This is not really a rules question, so I wasn't sure if this was the right place, but I thought it might fit better here.

Which interactions do we know of where we are in a "trigger window" of resolving when-x abilities, and this makes another when-x ability trigger?

• Classic example: Attack is played, react with Secret Chamber or Diplomat, draw another Reaction-to-Attack card.

Others:

• Kinda the same: Attack is played, react with Caravan Guard, draw another Reaction-to-Attack card.

• Trash a Cultist/Rats/Overgrown Estate, we are in when-trash window: Discard Market Square, draw cards, drawing another (or same) Market Square.

• Start-of-turn window: Play a card (via Ghost/Innovation/Piazza/Prince/Summon). If it's a Reserve card like Ratcatcher, can call it now. If it's Hireling, Prince, Fool gaining Lost in the Woods, or Treasurer gaining Key, the start-of-turn ability starts now.

• Gain a Duplicate, we are in when-gain window. Play it via Innovation, it can now be called to gain a copy of itself. (Or gain Vassal, play it, it plays Duplicate, call Duplicate to gain another Vassal.)

• Buy a card, we are in when-buy window: Gain another card (via Charm, Haggler etc) and play it via Innovation. If the played card is Goons, Haggler, Hoard*, Merchant Guild or Talisman*, it now triggers based on the buy.
*played via Black Market or Storyteller.

• Inherit Groundskeeper. Gain an Inherited Estate, we are in when-gain window. Play it via Innovation, it now triggers based on the gain. (Or Inherit Vassal, gain & play it, it plays Groundskeeper.)

Can anybody think of other interactions?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:33:20 pm by Jeebus »

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
Re: List of interactions that trigger in the "trigger window"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 06:58:23 pm »
+1

"After this turn" effects that have a player take extra turns (i.e. not Donate and Mountain Pass).

Say you play Outpost and buy Mission on one of your normal turns.  After that turn ends, you're in an "after this turn" window and can select one of the two.  Say you pick Outpost.  On your Outpost turn, you play Possession.  When your Outpost turn ends, you have effects for a Mission turn and a Possession turn; you have to do them in that order because of player order.  That means you must still be in that exact same window that started after your normal turn, because if the Possession effect belonged to an "inner" window (like what's described here), then you'd have to resolve it first instead.

Of course, that means "after this turn" really has to mean something more like "between normal/Fleet turns."

Or else you have to treat the timing of those extra turn effects differently from all other triggered effects.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
Re: List of interactions that trigger in the "trigger window"
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:30:47 pm »

Of course, that means "after this turn" really has to mean something more like "between normal/Fleet turns."

Or else you have to treat the timing of those extra turn effects differently from all other triggered effects.

I hadn't realized that, that's a good point. I think I've been thinking about "after-turn" and "between-turns" as the same thing.

And you're right that this is technically another example of what I was asking about.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:41:06 pm by Jeebus »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.