Dominion > Dominion General Discussion

Which cards let you choose to gain nothing?

(1/3) > >>

Jeebus:
Just asking for some help identifying cards. Which cards let you choose to gain a card that you can't gain?

I'm not talking about Torturer when there are no Curses left. I mean cards that give you a choice of cards.

So far I have identified:

Smugglers - you can choose a card your opponent gained even though it's not available to gain.
Pilgrimage - you can choose a card in play even though it's not available to gain.
Changeling - you can choose a card in play even though it's not available to gain.

Are there any others?

crj:
I'm not quite clear what distinction you're making; does Disciple count?

Jeebus:

--- Quote from: crj on January 20, 2019, 09:43:15 pm ---I'm not quite clear what distinction you're making; does Disciple count?

--- End quote ---

Your question made me realize that I already have this list of cards that gain a copy: Ambassador, Changeling, Disciple, Duplicate, Jester, Messenger, Mint, Pilgrimage, Smugglers, Talisman

I guess all of those, except Messenger and Talisman, can try to gain a copy of a card that isn't available. I mean, you could even call Duplicate when you gain a Madman.

What I was after though, was cards that give you a choice of several cards to gain, and then might fail to gain a copy. And from this list there are only the three I mentioned. So I got my answer, I think. Thanks!

Commodore Chuckles:

--- Quote from: Jeebus on January 20, 2019, 09:31:57 pm ---Smugglers - you can choose a card your opponent gained even though it's not available to gain.

--- End quote ---

Is this actually correct though? This isn't my impression of how "gain a card fulfilling X" works from playing online. If this is true, then can you Remodel a Curse into a Curse when all the Curses are out and then not have to gain a Copper or Estate? I didn't think you could do that.

Jeebus:

--- Quote from: Commodore Chuckles on January 21, 2019, 10:19:03 am ---
--- Quote from: Jeebus on January 20, 2019, 09:31:57 pm ---Smugglers - you can choose a card your opponent gained even though it's not available to gain.

--- End quote ---

Is this actually correct though? This isn't my impression of how "gain a card fulfilling X" works from playing online. If this is true, then can you Remodel a Curse into a Curse when all the Curses are out and then not have to gain a Copper or Estate? I didn't think you could do that.

--- End quote ---

No, that's not how gaining works when you are just told to gain a card. Then your choices are the cards in the supply (of a certain cost/type). That's why I'm saying that only these three cards work like this.

Smugglers has been discussed several times. It's hard to parse, but the meaning is that the choices you have are the cards your opponent gained. Then you gain your choice, if possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version