Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alchemy theme.  (Read 1691 times)

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
Alchemy theme.
« on: January 18, 2019, 02:30:07 pm »

12 Potion-related: Apprentice cares if it's in the cost and Herbalist can put a Potion on your deck for reuse, so, the whole set.
5 Actions theme: Transmute, Vineyard, Scrying Pool, University, Golem
10 Useful in multiples: Everything but Herbalist and Possession
is Herbalist really potion related. just because it has a possibility of interacting with a potion doesn't mean it's actually related to it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemy theme.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 03:05:13 pm »

What is this a quote from? One reason that it can make sense to say that Herbalist is Potion-related is that one of the defining characteristics of the Potion-cost cards is that often you can only get one per shuffle. Sure you can buy more Potions, but that sucks for other reasons. So Herbalist allows you to get more than one Potion-cost cards in a shuffle. That's important.

I'm more interested in why it says that Possession is not useful in multiples!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 03:43:37 pm »

The quote was from the wiki.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:26:20 pm »

What is this a quote from? One reason that it can make sense to say that Herbalist is Potion-related is that one of the defining characteristics of the Potion-cost cards is that often you can only get one per shuffle. Sure you can buy more Potions, but that sucks for other reasons. So Herbalist allows you to get more than one Potion-cost cards in a shuffle. That's important.

You can only have one potion max. in your deck?

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 04:27:27 pm »
+1

He's saying that it only benifits you to have one. if you draw both in a hand, there's no cards that cost

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 04:40:34 pm »

Already addressed in bold. LittleFish gave one good reason why it's generally bad. It's also just a card that you really don't want to have to have in your deck in general; due to its limited use.

I do remember a game where I built up a nice engine; then towards the end I spent one turn buying a bunch of Potions, so that on the next turn I could buy a bunch of Vineyards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25709
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 09:20:45 pm »
+1

12 Potion-related: Apprentice cares if it's in the cost and Herbalist can put a Potion on your deck for reuse, so, the whole set.
5 Actions theme: Transmute, Vineyard, Scrying Pool, University, Golem
10 Useful in multiples: Everything but Herbalist and Possession
is Herbalist really potion related. just because it has a possibility of interacting with a potion doesn't mean it's actually related to it.
There were people who wanted to feel like everything in the set involved Potions. For those people, Herbalist's connection was sufficient.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25709
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:22:52 pm »
+1

It's not that it's not useful in multiples; it's that it doesn't specifically let you make use of multiples without any support, like cantrips treasures and VP cards do.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.