Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cards entering and leaving play (Innovation)  (Read 1808 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Cards entering and leaving play (Innovation)
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:08:06 pm »

Sorry, another complicated question about triggering and resolving. At least it doesn't involve Band of Misfits or Inheritance.

I'm wondering if I'm understanding this correctly.

1) I have Innovation and Capitalism. With Haggler in play, buy Mint. When-buys for Haggler and Mint trigger.
Haggler: Gain&play Merchant Guild (cost-reduced).
When-buy for Merchant Guild triggers (for buying Mint).
Mint: Trash Treasures, including Merchant Guild.
Merchant Guild: +1 Coffers.
(The Merchant Guild was not in play originally, and not in play when I resolve it, but it triggered.)

2) I have Innovation. With Haggler in play, buy Lab. When-buy for Haggler triggers.
Haggler: Gain&play Procession, playing Merchant Guild from hand (trashing the Merchant Guild).
When-buy for Merchant Guild doesn't trigger (for buying Lab), since it's not in play anymore.

The difference is that in (2), the Merchant Guild is not in play after we have resolved a when-play ability and we're checking for more.

I'm not sure if this is how it's intended to work, but this is my assumption.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:08:34 am by Jeebus »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Cards entering and leaving play (Innovation)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:59:16 pm »

1) I have Innovation and Capitalism. With Haggler in play, buy Mint. When-buys for Haggler and Mint trigger.
Haggler: Gain&play Merchant Guild (cost-reduced).
When-buy for Merchant Guild triggers (for buying Mint).
Mint: Trash Treasures, including Merchant Guild.
Merchant Guild: +1 Coffers.
(The Merchant Guild was not in play originally, and not in play when I resolve it, but it triggered.)
I don't know if I have made any previous relevant rulings, but here goes.

A. I play Merchant Guild with Capitalism, then buy Mint, and resolve Mint first. I still get the +1 Coffers for Merchant Guild.
B. I buy a card which somehow puts a Merchant Guild into play before I'm out of the when-buy window. I get the +1 Coffers for Merchant Guild.

So, if Merchant Guild both shows up and leaves in the same when-buy window, it still gives you +1 Coffers.

2) I have Innovation. With Haggler in play, buy Lab. When-buy for Haggler triggers.
Haggler: Gain&play Procession, playing Merchant Guild from hand (trashing the Merchant Guild).
When-buy for Merchant Guild doesn't trigger (for buying Mint), since it's not in play anymore.

The difference is that in (2), the Merchant Guild is not in play after we have resolved a when-play ability and we're checking for more.
Merchant Guild appeared in a when-buy window, so this looks the same as the previous case to me - you get the +1 Coffers.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Re: Cards entering and leaving play (Innovation)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:17:42 pm »

In (2), the Merchant Guild appears and disappears while we're resolving a when-buy ability (for Haggler). Merchant Guild wasn't there either before or after Haggler. I thought for some reason that it had to be there at a moment when we're checking for when-gain abilities to resolve.

That wasn't based on any ruling you've made. I guess it was based on how Dominion Online works - each time you've resolved one thing, it asks what you want to resolve next. It seemed weird that it would add something that wasn't there from the start and that isn't there when it asks either.

I'm not saying it can't work the way you're saying now. I guess it's an easier rule to understand for humans - if something pops in, that's enough for it to trigger. For the developer of the online implementation it's probably way more difficult though. (It doesn't work that way now.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.