Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Shitty Rules Questions  (Read 10171 times)

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
Shitty Rules Questions
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:11:52 am »
+5

According to Inheritance, gaining an Estate (or otherwise having one move into your hand/deck) makes it yours. If you walk off with any such Estate cards before the game is over, have you committed theft?
  • If not, what if the game's owner resigns--does the Estates' ownership then revert to them?
    • If so, what if the game's owner dies midgame--are the Estates then permanently yours?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Shitty Rules Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:28:42 am »
+10

No, but you have broken the rules of the game, as it is not allowed to walk off before the game ends (as evidenced by the "starve to death" rule).

A resignation ends the game, at which point Inheritance no longer applies. But inheritance may still apply, so you may keep ownership of the Estate if the deceased's testament says as much.

If your opponent dies midgame, the game has not ended, and the Estate is yours, but also you are required to keep sitting at the table until you starve to death.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 12:03:03 pm »

I'm not sure the rules do prohibit leaving before the game is over. Provided you're certain you've already taken your last action of the game? (Intentionally not buying Fleet can help with this.)

Lurker

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lurker
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:39:04 pm »
+1

It's pretty clear to me that if they die and you've inherited it - it's yours now. But I don't have any expertise in Estate law.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 01:41:21 pm »
+5

This reminds me of the Standoff in Honolulu.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 06:21:12 pm »
+33

Sadly Dominion's rules are superseded by both local laws and laws of nature. Otherwise I would long ago have made "For the rest of this turn, there is no entropy" and then wandered off into the world of dreams.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:53:37 pm »
+4

Incitement - Action, Attack
Each other player either commits a crime or gains a Curse, their choice.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 07:39:54 pm »
+2

According to Inheritance, gaining an Estate (or otherwise having one move into your hand/deck) makes it yours. If you walk off with any such Estate cards before the game is over, have you committed theft?
  • If not, what if the game's owner resigns--does the Estates' ownership then revert to them?
    • If so, what if the game's owner dies midgame--are the Estates then permanently yours?

The “your” in “your Estates” in Inheritance’s text means the Estates in your possession and not the the Estates in your property. You would also not commit theft, but embezzlement (I hope, that is the correct translation for the German term „Unterschlagung“), because the Estate was in your custody.

Regarding to the case, that you die: I don't know, if something like „gutgläubiger Erwerb“ (bona fide acquisition ?) would apply here.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 04:20:11 am »
+4

I don't know what I expected from this thread.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 06:09:45 am »

the game ending doesnt stop the estates from beeing yours, i think? otherwise how would you get points for them.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 05:22:24 pm »
+1

Sadly Dominion's rules are superseded by both local laws and laws of nature. Otherwise I would long ago have made "For the rest of this turn, there is no entropy" and then wandered off into the world of dreams.

This is forum hall-of-fame material.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 02:56:00 pm »
+2

If a Landmark just said, "Trash a card", would every card in the game be trashed the instant the game starts?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 07:20:52 pm »

If a Landmark just said, "You win", would the first player win?

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 09:15:10 pm »
+2

If a Landmark just said, "Trash a card", would every card in the game be trashed the instant the game starts?
No, you'd spend all the time in that instant trashing all the aces of spades around the world.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 03:49:08 pm »

If a landmark said, "You can't win," would the game end in a tie or would the first player lose because of his or her extra turn?

Also, if a card were to say "Ascend to another plane of existence," would that plane be an Airbus or a Boeing?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:37:45 pm by Marcory »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 05:34:01 pm »
+3

If I play Possession, but I'm already possessed by a real spirit, do I regain control of my body for the duration of the Possession turn?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 06:19:50 pm »
+5

If a landmark said, "You can't win," would the game end in a tie or would the first player lose because of his or her extra turn?

I would say that first, if someone normally would win, they don't win and then both players lose.

However, tying is more interesting.  Usually, a tie is considered worse than winning, and so in that case, the tie happens.  However, the official rules state that players "rejoice in their shared victory" rather than tie, which would mean that then a tie does not happen, and so both players still lose.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 03:21:41 pm »
+2

If I play Possession, but I'm already possessed by a real spirit, do I regain control of my body for the duration of the Possession turn?

If you're actually possessed by a real spirit, then you didn't play Posession, the spirit did. So the player to the spirits' (and your) left takes a turn where the spirit makes all the decisions.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 03:45:34 pm »
+8

After opening my copy of Adventures, I was throwing out my cardboard frames, and accidentally tossed one of my Champion cards that had gotten mixed up with cardboard trash.

When I play a Lurker, can I gain that Champion from my trash can?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 04:22:50 pm »

After opening my copy of Adventures, I was throwing out my cardboard frames, and accidentally tossed one of my Champion cards that had gotten mixed up with cardboard trash.

When I play a Lurker, can I gain that Champion from my trash can?

If your trash can is on the table with the rest of the kingdom, you can do this.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 04:49:14 pm »
+6

If my friends and I are playing two games of dominion side by side, can I buy and gain cards from the other kingdom? The rules don't say which supply I have to gain from.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 05:06:06 pm »
+1

If my friends and I are playing two games of dominion side by side, can I buy and gain cards from the other kingdom? The rules don't say which supply I have to gain from.

in the above scenario, do both piles of the provinces need to be empty to end the game, or just the one?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 05:25:34 pm »

If you're actually possessed by a real spirit, then you didn't play Posession, the spirit did. So the player to the spirits' (and your) left takes a turn where the spirit makes all the decisions.
But that suggests that possession is different to Possession, where the latter has it that the possessed player is the one playing their turn. Does this need an official ruling?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 05:56:06 pm »

in the above scenario, do both piles of the provinces need to be empty to end the game, or just the one?

If two piles are out in one game, and one pile runs out in the other game, do both games immediately end?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 06:05:18 pm »
+4

Does a pile count as empty if it's life is without meaning, like Scout?

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.