Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Coaching Series  (Read 2491 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Dominion Coaching Series
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:40 pm »
+1

Hey, I'm going to be working on a Dominion Coaching Series on the Dominion League YouTube channel. I would like both some volunteers, and suggestions as to what you would like to see in such a show. I might record a pilot episode soon with someone, and then edit it, and then from there see what is working and what isn't.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Coaching Series
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 03:01:15 am »
+18

Have you found a coach yet?

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:18:03 am »
+2

Hey here's a game I lost a couple of months ago that I'd be happy to get some feedback on! Feel free to do a coaching vid on it!

I thought at the time that Minion luck decided it, but that's a scrub excuse and I damn well know it:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:19:09 am by Screwyioux »

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 10:08:06 pm »
+2

I not only suck at dominion, but already make dominion videos! I volunteer for anything I might do to be of service! Play games, lose games, give publicity, whatever.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 07:17:41 am »
+9

Hey here's a game I lost a couple of months ago that I'd be happy to get some feedback on! Feel free to do a coaching vid on it!

I don't really make videos but I do enjoy watching them and here are some comments.

Turn 1&2: I like your opening buys more then his, by a lot.
Turn 3: I like your reasoning about the Defiled Shrine points by your opponent.
Turn 4: you claim your peasant is helped by his Enchantress, but it really isn't. Without the Enchantress you'd have the Soldier in your draw pile right away, and now you're wasting a turn. It's not something you can really fix though; not playing the magpie on turn 3 to prevent this feels bad and could also backfire horribly.
Turn 5: getting magpie over minion -> Minions is what its all about here. It's the only card that can really shine before the +actions of Disciple and/or Teacher start working. Also taking a magpie "because you want to win the split" is not a good reason.
Turn 6: You say you want a Develop because trashing estates and gaining $3 cards is good. True, but here these $3 cards are kind of bad, given the lack of +actions. It's relatively rare, but here I'd certainly take Trade Route over Develop. Given how important Minions are here Silver is a serious consideration too though. At this point your deck can't really sustain another terminal.
Turn 7: another terminal - not good. Either get Silver or nothing.
opponents turn 8 - you discard copper over estate. I wouldn't, but it's close - fine with me.
Turn 8: You buy yet another terminal. Starting to get really bad.
Turn 9: And another terminal, horrible.
Turn 10, start of turn: given that you have way too many terminals, you should certainly use the opponents Enchantress to play the terminal in your hand.
Turn 10, later that turn: Your last magpie play means you'll have to go through a shuffle without any of your disciples. That play sets you back ~1.5 turns.
Turn 10: I do like you're buying nothing
Turn 11: close call between double develop and double enchantress, both fine with me
opponents turn 12: you discard magpie over estate. It looks like a conscious decision but I don't get it.
opponent on turn 13: He should put +actions on minion, not +coins.

Your post game analysis: this wasn't so much about the attacks, as it was about the balance between +actions and terminals. You end with a relatively small deck with 1 card that can make +actions and 8 that need it. Getting so many terminals caused you to almost never hit the big coins needed for Minion / double Minion.
Join the Dominion League!

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 02:06:00 pm »

I don't really make videos but I do enjoy watching them and here are some comments.

Turn 1&2: I like your opening buys more then his, by a lot.
Turn 3: I like your reasoning about the Defiled Shrine points by your opponent.
Turn 4: you claim your peasant is helped by his Enchantress, but it really isn't. Without the Enchantress you'd have the Soldier in your draw pile right away, and now you're wasting a turn. It's not something you can really fix though; not playing the magpie on turn 3 to prevent this feels bad and could also backfire horribly.
Turn 5: getting magpie over minion -> Minions is what its all about here. It's the only card that can really shine before the +actions of Disciple and/or Teacher start working. Also taking a magpie "because you want to win the split" is not a good reason.
Turn 6: You say you want a Develop because trashing estates and gaining $3 cards is good. True, but here these $3 cards are kind of bad, given the lack of +actions. It's relatively rare, but here I'd certainly take Trade Route over Develop. Given how important Minions are here Silver is a serious consideration too though. At this point your deck can't really sustain another terminal.
Turn 7: another terminal - not good. Either get Silver or nothing.
opponents turn 8 - you discard copper over estate. I wouldn't, but it's close - fine with me.
Turn 8: You buy yet another terminal. Starting to get really bad.
Turn 9: And another terminal, horrible.
Turn 10, start of turn: given that you have way too many terminals, you should certainly use the opponents Enchantress to play the terminal in your hand.
Turn 10, later that turn: Your last magpie play means you'll have to go through a shuffle without any of your disciples. That play sets you back ~1.5 turns.
Turn 10: I do like you're buying nothing
Turn 11: close call between double develop and double enchantress, both fine with me
opponents turn 12: you discard magpie over estate. It looks like a conscious decision but I don't get it.
opponent on turn 13: He should put +actions on minion, not +coins.

Your post game analysis: this wasn't so much about the attacks, as it was about the balance between +actions and terminals. You end with a relatively small deck with 1 card that can make +actions and 8 that need it. Getting so many terminals caused you to almost never hit the big coins needed for Minion / double Minion.

This is a really good analysis, thank you! I think over-terminaling is a pretty consistent flaw in my play. In general with Magpie, do you sometimes prioritize the split by buying a second one (I can't imagine buying a third) instead of another card you want, or do you just hope they multiply on their own and do your best with what you're given?

Obviously you do everything SOMETIMES, but what I mean is, how rare do you think it is to buy more than one Magpie (assuming there's another card you want and would gain instead)?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 12:30:14 am »

I not only suck at dominion, but already make dominion videos! I volunteer for anything I might do to be of service! Play games, lose games, give publicity, whatever.

Sweet, I'll reach out to you when I am able to make stuff again. I'll be happy to record games with you!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.