Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Exhibition mini set  (Read 3195 times)

Udzu

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +148
    • View Profile
Dominion Exhibition mini set
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:17:04 am »
+4

Looking through some old files on my computer, I recently discovered a selection of cards I designed in 2013 but never posted. The cards were based on the original Mini Set Contest, which had just finished at the time. They haven't been playtested at all (which is probably why I didn't post them) so I expect at least a few are 'broken' in some way. Still, here they are:

#1 Peddler variant
Informer ($5 Action-Attack)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may reveal a card from your hand. Discard it or put it on top of your deck. Each other player reveals a card from their hand costing more than it (or reveals a hand with no such cards), and discards it or puts it on top of their deck, your choice.

#2 Curser
Witch Doctor ($4 Action-Attack)
+2 Cards
Each other player gains a Curse, putting it in their hand. Any player that did may set aside a card from their hand face down, returning it to their deck at the end of the game.

#3 Victory Card
Artwork ($4 Victory)
At the end of the game, the first Artwork in your deck is worth 1VP, the second 2VP, the third 3VP, and so on.

#4 Terminal draw
Master Smithy ($5 Action)
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 cards different from the set-aside cards. Put these into your hand and discard the other revealed and set-aside cards.

#5 Deck improver
Patent ($3 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal and set aside a card from your hand. Look through your discard pile, reveal any number of occurences of that card, and shuffle them into your deck. Discard the set-aside card.

#6 Trash for benefit
Pension ($2 Action-Duration)
Trash a card from your hand. Place a token on the square corresponding to the trashed card's $ cost. At the end of this and subsequent turns: if the token is on 1 or more, keep this in play, and next turn: +$1, move the token down one square.

Extra information: the picture on the Pension card consists of 8 squares in a 3x3 grid labelled (clockwise) 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7+.

#7 Village
Gaulish Village ($3 Action-Duration)
+1 Card
+1 Action
At the end of this and subsequent turns: if you played at least 2 actions during the turn, keep this in play, and next turn: +1 Action.

#8 Non-attack interaction
Counsel ($5 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal all the cards in your hand. The player to your left chooses one. Either: gain a copy of it; trash it, +1 Card; or discard it, +3 Cards.

#9 Terminal silver
Spring Clean ($3 Action)
+$2
Name a card. Look through your deck, and discard any number of occurences of the card. Shuffle your deck.

#10 Potion cost
Transmogrify ($3P Action)
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card costing up to $1 more than it, putting it into your hand.

#11 Dual type
Agent ($4 Action-Victory)
+2 Cards
Move the token on the Agent mat to the next square if possible.
At the end of the game, this is worth the number of points indicated on the square with the Agent token.
Setup: each player puts an Agent token on the first square of their Agent mat.

Extra information: the Agent mat has 16 squares on it with the following labels: 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5.

#12 Non-terminal drawer
Home Laboratory ($4 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 cards costing at most $4. Put these into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

#13 One Shot
Chaplain ($3 Action)
Return this to the Chaplain pile. Trash any number of cards from your hand.
When you buy this, you may trash any number of cards from your hand.

#14 Self synergising
Study ($3 Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. +1 Card for every Study in your hand.

#15 $2
Night Shift ($2 Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a coin token.
All cards cost $1 more this turn (before any cost reductions).

#16 Treasure
Old Boy Network ($5 Treasure)
Worth $0
When you play this, reveal your hand. +$1 for every non-Treasure card revealed.

#17 +Buy
Village Fair ($2 Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
When you buy this for the first time in a turn, +1 Buy

#18 Reaction
Lucky Penny ($1 Treasure-Reaction)
Worth $1
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand and either: discard it and instead gain a card costing $1 more; or trash it and instead gain a card costing $2 more.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:23:36 am by Udzu »

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Exhibition mini set
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 11:00:58 am »

Overall, first impression, these are good card ideas. Very creative; give yourself applause!

Gaulish Village seems like it needs to do something with a Potion, like, make it a duration that protects you from attacks if you set it aside with a Potion. ;)

Counsel seems like it's pretty much going to be used as +1 Action, Discard a card, +3 Cards almost all the time.

Pension almost seems like it would be easier to use if it put X coffers on itself and gave you a coffer each turn.

I have more thoughts, but these were my first impression.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 04:28:15 pm »

Witch doctor looks good

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 04:30:45 pm »

Spring Clean ($3 Action)
+$2
Name a card. Look through your deck, and discard any number of occurences of the card. Shuffle your deck.

it could be "reveal your deck. discard all cards you named shuffle the rest into your deck" to make it less confusing

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:20:41 pm »

More useful thoughts...

#1 Peddler variant
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may reveal a card from your hand. Discard it or put it on top of your deck. Each other player reveals a card from their hand costing more than it (or reveals a hand with no such cards), and discards it or puts it on top of their deck, your choice.

#2 Curser
Witch Doctor ($4 Action-Attack)
+2 Cards
Each other player gains a Curse, putting it in their hand. Any player that did may set aside a card from their hand face down, returning it to their deck at the end of the game.

#3 Victory Card
Artwork ($4 Victory)
At the end of the game, the first Artwork in your deck is worth 1VP, the second 2VP, the third 3VP, and so on.

#4 Terminal draw
Master Smithy ($5 Action)
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 cards different from the set-aside cards. Put these into your hand and discard the other revealed and set-aside cards.

#5 Deck improver
Patent ($3 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal and set aside a card from your hand. Look through your discard pile, reveal any number of occurences of that card, and shuffle them into your deck. Discard the set-aside card.

Informer: There's a reason why Spy was removed from the game. Partly because it was week, partly because it slowed the game down. A stronger Spy isn't necessarily a good thing, and this one is maybe a bit too strong? But it's just as (or maybe even more) slow as Spy. It's an interesting idea, though; I'd probably change the attack to "each other player discards a card that costs more than it (or reveals they can't)" and let it whiff on Provinces. If that's too weak, maybe make it put Victory cards discarded this way back on top of their deck.

Witch Doctor: Love it; this card has everything going for it; it's an Island and a Witch; it's a Doctor. My only question is whether it's too weak at $4, since it can help your opponents so nicely (or nastily, since they can't actually remove a Curse that it "treated".) Possibly consider increasing the power level of card's vanilla ability.

Artwork: Hmmm. On the one hand I would caution you that this card is much better in 2-player than in 4-player; it's very likely that in a 2-player game, each player could have 5 or 6 copies, so going for it would be mandatory; in 4 player, 3 copies is more likely, in which it's less good. But, in both cases if the/an other player doesn't go for it, then they have to race you with conventional means. If they can't ever win in a race against it, then the card is mandatory. I suspect the card is always mandatory in 2-player, since if you don't go for it, then I do and you can't keep up (assumedly) but in 3 or 4 player it gets less mandatory, although I don't know if it gets less enough.

Master Smithy: This is an extraordinarily powerful card! While it's not perfectly going to work every time, I could set aside all of the cards that I have that are not King's Courts and Bridges and play this card... etc. This seems too good. At the same time, I haven't tested it, either. It does seem like a great concept, though. Perhaps it should be 2 cards instead of 3? But then it might be too weak and not enough of a Smithy.

Patent: I love this idea. Give up a card now to increase its appearance rate. I think it's perfect as-is, of course pending extra testing to make sure the cost is right.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:17:59 pm »

With five Informers and a Copper, you can topdeck or discard an entire hand except for other Coppers or Curses (in most games). This seems really awfully powerful for a card that's already a Peddler for $5.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 08:14:18 am »

Art work is to powerful for a card. the first one that you buy is worth 2 then the second 4, the the third 5, so it's worth way more than it should

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:12 am »

Overall, first impression, these are good card ideas. Very creative; give yourself applause!

Gaulish Village seems like it needs to do something with a Potion, like, make it a duration that protects you from attacks if you set it aside with a Potion. ;)

Counsel seems like it's pretty much going to be used as +1 Action, Discard a card, +3 Cards almost all the time.

Pension almost seems like it would be easier to use if it put X coffers on itself and gave you a coffer each turn.

I have more thoughts, but these were my first impression.

Thanks for the feedback! Great suggestion regarding Pension and good point regarding Gaulish Village's name. You might be right about Counsel. I wanted a card that played differently if the other player chose a strong, medium or weak card but *3 cards turns it into a laboratory equivalent, or even better if the card picked was weaker than average. I'll think about it.

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 09:41:15 am »

With five Informers and a Copper, you can topdeck or discard an entire hand except for other Coppers or Curses (in most games). This seems really awfully powerful for a card that's already a Peddler for $5.

Good point. I guess it needs a "with at least n cards" restriction.

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 09:46:19 am »

Art work is to powerful for a card. the first one that you buy is worth 2 then the second 4, the the third 5, so it's worth way more than it should

The text may be confusing (or wrong) but the first one is supposed to be worth 1, the second 2, etc. Hence if you have 5 then they're worth 15=1+2+3+4+5 (or 3 each on average). Though they do become more powerful after that, and the race (especially for 2 players) may not be much fun. I'll have a think.

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 09:56:49 am »

More useful thoughts...

More good points. Thinking about it I agree that Master Smithy is too strong: you need to ignored cards to be in your hand but that should be easy once you've played a couple of them (though remember it is terminal so you need more than just KC and Bridge).

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 11:13:15 am »

Quote from: Udzu
#6 Trash for benefit
Pension ($2 Action-Duration)
Trash a card from your hand. Place a token on the square corresponding to the trashed card's $ cost. At the end of this and subsequent turns: if the token is on 1 or more, keep this in play, and next turn: +$1, move the token down one square.

Extra information: the picture on the Pension card consists of 8 squares in a 3x3 grid labelled (clockwise) 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7+.

#7 Village
Gaulish Village ($3 Action-Duration)
+1 Card
+1 Action
At the end of this and subsequent turns: if you played at least 2 actions during the turn, keep this in play, and next turn: +1 Action.

#8 Non-attack interaction
Counsel ($5 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal all the cards in your hand. The player to your left chooses one. Either: gain a copy of it; trash it, +1 Card; or discard it, +3 Cards.

#9 Terminal silver
Spring Clean ($3 Action)
+$2

#10 Potion cost
Transmogrify ($3P Action)
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card costing up to $1 more than it, putting it into your hand.

Pension: Probably okay, although I would actually change the mechanic to using Coffers, which would then make the card stronger, so you'd have to recost it. Something like:
Trash a card from your hand. For each $ it cost, put a Coffer on this. At the end of each turn that this is in play, take a Coffer from this.
Duration rules should handle the rest.

Gaulish Village: the card design is really good, but seems pretty powerful, as long as I own enough actions to keep it going. Compare it to Walled Village (+1 Card +2 Actions, if you have this and no more than one other action in play, put this on top of your deck.) You're not getting the +1 Card +1 Action of playing it again on subsequent turns, but you're also not having it take up a card in your hand nor stopping you from playing more than 1 action if you're going to continue it, so I'm thinking this is at least $4 if not $5. And it's lacking an obvious Asterix reference ;)

Counsel: I feel like this card is a lot more powerful than it looks, because of the third option. If the third option wasn't there, the card would probably be weak, but fun; it either trashes weak cards or gains middling actions. Probably in practice it gives you a Silver or $2-4 Action each turn, or trashes a Copper. This is already okay, but not great; on the other hand you might be lucky enough to play out a lot of the bad options and force a player to choose Province, that's broken, although it's also a huge reward for playing really smart, so it's probably okay. But then you add option 3, which is where the card gets too good. You can turn the card into a laboratory that costs 4, with the only drawback being that you discarded a card that was too crappy or too slow to warrant getting a copy of for free. I would recommend either making the third option be -1 Card +2 Cards, or jacking the price of the card up to $5. All in all, the card is a really good design, as it makes for a lot of options, I just think that the third option is a Get Out Of Jail Free option. Plus, I don't know how much better players than me will be able to pull off a "gives me a free Province or Colony" move with success. I'm also thinking about King's Court + Counsel being an easy way to make this happen.

Spring Clean: it's a great idea. However... Tunnel. I almost want you to add the word "non-Reaction" to the rules. Or accept that it's a great thing to say Tunnels and move on :)

Transmogrify: This was clearly created before Donald's Transmogify was a thing, so it probably needs a new name. I think it's pretty solid, since it's discard for benefit vs say, Improve. Since it's a Potion card, I think that you could rebrand this as sort of a superior golem-type clone, where a person is replaced by a better simula of themselves. Test for cost, of course; this is a pretty powerful card.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 02:37:09 pm »

#11 Dual type
Agent ($4 Action-Victory)
+2 Cards
Move the token on the Agent mat to the next square if possible.
At the end of the game, this is worth the number of points indicated on the square with the Agent token.
Setup: each player puts an Agent token on the first square of their Agent mat.

Extra information: the Agent mat has 16 squares on it with the following labels: 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5.

#12 Non-terminal drawer
Home Laboratory ($4 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 cards costing at most $4. Put these into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

#13 One Shot
Chaplain ($3 Action)
Return this to the Chaplain pile. Trash any number of cards from your hand.
When you buy this, you may trash any number of cards from your hand.

#14 Self synergising
Study ($3 Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. +1 Card for every Study in your hand.

#15 $2
Night Shift ($2 Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a coin token.
All cards cost $1 more this turn (before any cost reductions).

More thoughts.

Off the top of my head these 5 cards are all very solid. Nitpicks will abound below.

Agent is good, test for balance of course, but the idea is very sound. It's maybe a bit too powerful with King's Courts and the like, though; I wonder if it should cap at 4VP instead of 5VP; 4VP for a $4 victory is already great. But, there's a risk involved in buying something for $4 that might end up being only 1VP, plus you need to buy this early and use it if it's going to be any reward at all, so you're giving up buying and using other cards; so perhaps the huge payoff is worth the significant strategic risk.

Home Laboratory is a good design as written. It might even be a bit weak; I could see it as a $3 card (compare it to Seer, which is a $5 but can't pick up $0-1 cost junk).

Chaplain is good, a 2-use Chapel of sorts. I think it might need to cost a bit more, though, as it might be too convenient to purchase in early game. I guess the question becomes how powerful the boost is when you buy it turn 1 or 2 to removes some Estates and coppers. As usual, testing will tell.

Study.... Study might need to cost less. The reason is that Study is basically a no-card if it is the only Study in your hand. It's also a no-card if it's the last Study you play this turn. So basically:
5 card hand, 1 study: study is worthless ($0-1 value)
5 card hand, 2 studies: study draws 2 cards (laboratory! $5 value) but if it doesn't draw another study, then the 2nd study is worthless.
5 card hand, 3 studies: study draws 3 cards (OP!!!) and then probably spirals out of control if you have more studies!!!
I find that the projected power of study, then, is based on the number of studies you can have in your deck vs the size of your deck. A 15-card deck with 5 studies in it is probably obscenely good, but otherwise it's maybe underpowered? There's also a problem of player count; if everyone goes for the dream of endless Studies, then the more players there are, the worse it is. That said, I think the downside of Studies being bad if you don't have many will offset them nicely in a 4-player game. So just food for thought: may be more powerful in 2-player than in 4.

Night Shift: As I understand it, this basically takes $1 from this turn and saves it for later, by making cards cost more. In some ways, it'd be better balanced if it simply was "+1 Card, +1 Action, when you discard this from play, +1 Coffer". At the same time, if you have, say, Butcher, then trashing a card to get its cost in Coffers, this would be great. Except that's really the only scenario in which it's all that great; I supposed you could also make certain other cards with price bands behave differently, but not enough for it to matter and usually you don't want cards that normally cost 0 to start costing 2 or 3. So, unless I'm missing something (which is pretty likely) I would price this card at $0 or $1 as written; if you used my suggestion, I'd probably still cost it at $1 or $2; see Ducat for instance (for counterexample, see Baker).

Anyhow, those are my thoughts! I'll try get to the last 3 soon!

Udzu

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 08:40:34 am »

Anyhow, those are my thoughts! I'll try get to the last 3 soon!

Thanks for all your excellent feedback! I've made a fair few changes in light of your suggestions, and a few more following some very basic testing.

1) Informer: prevented it from stacking, and removed the choices so as to speed it up. Strong early game attack that weakens later on.

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may discard a card from your hand. Each other player with at least 4 cards in their hand reveals a card from their hand costing more than it (or reveals a hand with no such cards), and puts it on top of their deck.

2) Witch doctor: left as is.

3) Artwork: rewritten, since it's just too easy to empty 3 cheap piles, meaning that any scaling $4 cost version ended up being OP against a non-mirror strategy.

Artwork ($4 Victory)
At the end of the game, this is worth 1VP for each empty Supply pile.

4) Master Smithy: left as is for now. Early testing suggests it's not as strong as it seems, due to terminal collisions and the discarding of set-aside cards, meaning that when you play it a second time you often get cards you excluded the first time but no longer have in hand so can't exclude again. 

5) Patent: left as is.

6) Pension: rewritten to use coffers as suggested.

Pension ($3 Action-Duration)
Trash a card from your hand. For every $ it cost, place a coffer on this card. At the start of the next and subsequent turns: take a coffer from the pile. (This card stays in play until there are no coffers left.)

7) Gaulish village: rewritten to be more thematic and harder to stack.

Gaulish village ($1+1P Action)
+1 Card
+2 Actions
-------
When you discard this from play, you may first discard from play a Potion or an Attack card. If you do, put this onto your deck.

8) Counsel: weakened third option as suggested (but left it in so you never regret playing this).

Counsel ($5 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal all the cards in your hand. The player to your left chooses one. Either: gain a copy of it; trash it, +1 Card; or discard it, +2 Cards.

9) Spring Clean: rephrase from 'discard' to 'put in your discard pile' (like the various deck discarded) so it doesn't trigger on-discard effects.

Spring Clean ($3 Action)
+$2
Name a card. Look through your deck, and put any number of occurences of the card in your discard pile. Shuffle your deck.

10) Transmogrify: rename to Metamorphosis.

11) Agent: totally rewritten. Was OP as written and encouraged an uninteresting rush. Replacement will almost certainly need tweaking, but I'm hopeful with the concept.

Forged Letter ($5 Treasure-Attack-Reaction-Duration)
If this is your turn: +1 Coffer & each other player discards down to 3 cards.
Otherwise: at the start of your next turn, +1 Coffer.
-------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first pay a Coffer to play this from your hand. While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, you are not affected.

12) Home laboratory: left as is for now.

13) Chaplain: price increased to $4 partly to avoid a double Chaplain start.

14) Study: totally rewritten. Like Agent, I couldn't get this to work. Expect this'll need tweaking.

Warlock ($5 Action-Attack)
You may return a VP token. If you do, each other player gains a Curse. Otherwise, +1VP.
You may return a Coffer. If you do, each other player discards down to 3 cards. Otherwise, +1 Coffer.
---------
When you gain this, +1 VP.

15) Night shift: not sure what the original intent was, so made it sort of attacky (a $2 attack?!). 

Night Shift ($2 Action-Duration)
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Coffer.
---------
While this is in play, cards cost $1 more for everyone (after any cost reductions).

16-18) Left as is until further testing.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:44:53 am by Udzu »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 05:38:48 pm »

The text may be confusing (or wrong) but the first one is supposed to be worth 1, the second 2, etc. Hence if you have 5 then they're worth 15=1+2+3+4+5 (or 3 each on average). Though they do become more powerful after that, and the race (especially for 2 players) may not be much fun. I'll have a think.
I don't think it's strong enough to regularly lead to a race with 2p. You need six for them to be slightly better than Duchy on average (3.5 VP), and the opponent will gladly steal the last few for a 9 VP-swing each. So I'd rather not start buying any unless there's a Workshop variant around. It seems no better than Gardens to me.

Witch Doctor sounds fun, though it's probably not that strong: when the opponent sets aside the curse it's similar to a Monument (with cards instead of $) that stops working after ten uses. And when the opponent keeps the curse for immediate or later trashing and sets aside something else it's much worse.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:55:50 pm by Holger »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.018 seconds with 21 queries.