Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

Dominion Exhibition mini set

(1/3) > >>

Udzu:
Looking through some old files on my computer, I recently discovered a selection of cards I designed in 2013 but never posted. The cards were based on the original Mini Set Contest, which had just finished at the time. They haven't been playtested at all (which is probably why I didn't post them) so I expect at least a few are 'broken' in some way. Still, here they are:

#1 Peddler variant
Informer ($5 Action-Attack)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may reveal a card from your hand. Discard it or put it on top of your deck. Each other player reveals a card from their hand costing more than it (or reveals a hand with no such cards), and discards it or puts it on top of their deck, your choice.

#2 Curser
Witch Doctor ($4 Action-Attack)
+2 Cards
Each other player gains a Curse, putting it in their hand. Any player that did may set aside a card from their hand face down, returning it to their deck at the end of the game.

#3 Victory Card
Artwork ($4 Victory)
At the end of the game, the first Artwork in your deck is worth 1VP, the second 2VP, the third 3VP, and so on.

#4 Terminal draw
Master Smithy ($5 Action)
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 cards different from the set-aside cards. Put these into your hand and discard the other revealed and set-aside cards.

#5 Deck improver
Patent ($3 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal and set aside a card from your hand. Look through your discard pile, reveal any number of occurences of that card, and shuffle them into your deck. Discard the set-aside card.

#6 Trash for benefit
Pension ($2 Action-Duration)
Trash a card from your hand. Place a token on the square corresponding to the trashed card's $ cost. At the end of this and subsequent turns: if the token is on 1 or more, keep this in play, and next turn: +$1, move the token down one square.

Extra information: the picture on the Pension card consists of 8 squares in a 3x3 grid labelled (clockwise) 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7+.

#7 Village
Gaulish Village ($3 Action-Duration)
+1 Card
+1 Action
At the end of this and subsequent turns: if you played at least 2 actions during the turn, keep this in play, and next turn: +1 Action.

#8 Non-attack interaction
Counsel ($5 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal all the cards in your hand. The player to your left chooses one. Either: gain a copy of it; trash it, +1 Card; or discard it, +3 Cards.

#9 Terminal silver
Spring Clean ($3 Action)
+$2
Name a card. Look through your deck, and discard any number of occurences of the card. Shuffle your deck.

#10 Potion cost
Transmogrify ($3P Action)
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card costing up to $1 more than it, putting it into your hand.

#11 Dual type
Agent ($4 Action-Victory)
+2 Cards
Move the token on the Agent mat to the next square if possible.
At the end of the game, this is worth the number of points indicated on the square with the Agent token.
Setup: each player puts an Agent token on the first square of their Agent mat.

Extra information: the Agent mat has 16 squares on it with the following labels: 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5.

#12 Non-terminal drawer
Home Laboratory ($4 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 cards costing at most $4. Put these into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

#13 One Shot
Chaplain ($3 Action)
Return this to the Chaplain pile. Trash any number of cards from your hand.
When you buy this, you may trash any number of cards from your hand.

#14 Self synergising
Study ($3 Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. +1 Card for every Study in your hand.

#15 $2
Night Shift ($2 Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a coin token.
All cards cost $1 more this turn (before any cost reductions).

#16 Treasure
Old Boy Network ($5 Treasure)
Worth $0
When you play this, reveal your hand. +$1 for every non-Treasure card revealed.

#17 +Buy
Village Fair ($2 Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
When you buy this for the first time in a turn, +1 Buy

#18 Reaction
Lucky Penny ($1 Treasure-Reaction)
Worth $1
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand and either: discard it and instead gain a card costing $1 more; or trash it and instead gain a card costing $2 more.

Neirai the Forgiven:
Overall, first impression, these are good card ideas. Very creative; give yourself applause!

Gaulish Village seems like it needs to do something with a Potion, like, make it a duration that protects you from attacks if you set it aside with a Potion. ;)

Counsel seems like it's pretty much going to be used as +1 Action, Discard a card, +3 Cards almost all the time.

Pension almost seems like it would be easier to use if it put X coffers on itself and gave you a coffer each turn.

I have more thoughts, but these were my first impression.

LittleFish:
Witch doctor looks good

LittleFish:

--- Quote ---Spring Clean ($3 Action)
+$2
Name a card. Look through your deck, and discard any number of occurences of the card. Shuffle your deck.
--- End quote ---

it could be "reveal your deck. discard all cards you named shuffle the rest into your deck" to make it less confusing

Neirai the Forgiven:
More useful thoughts...

--- Quote from: Udzu on January 13, 2019, 09:17:04 am ---#1 Peddler variant
Informer ($5 Action-Attack)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may reveal a card from your hand. Discard it or put it on top of your deck. Each other player reveals a card from their hand costing more than it (or reveals a hand with no such cards), and discards it or puts it on top of their deck, your choice.

#2 Curser
Witch Doctor ($4 Action-Attack)
+2 Cards
Each other player gains a Curse, putting it in their hand. Any player that did may set aside a card from their hand face down, returning it to their deck at the end of the game.

#3 Victory Card
Artwork ($4 Victory)
At the end of the game, the first Artwork in your deck is worth 1VP, the second 2VP, the third 3VP, and so on.

#4 Terminal draw
Master Smithy ($5 Action)
Set aside any number of cards from your hand. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 3 cards different from the set-aside cards. Put these into your hand and discard the other revealed and set-aside cards.

#5 Deck improver
Patent ($3 Action)
+1 Action
Reveal and set aside a card from your hand. Look through your discard pile, reveal any number of occurences of that card, and shuffle them into your deck. Discard the set-aside card.

--- End quote ---

Informer: There's a reason why Spy was removed from the game. Partly because it was week, partly because it slowed the game down. A stronger Spy isn't necessarily a good thing, and this one is maybe a bit too strong? But it's just as (or maybe even more) slow as Spy. It's an interesting idea, though; I'd probably change the attack to "each other player discards a card that costs more than it (or reveals they can't)" and let it whiff on Provinces. If that's too weak, maybe make it put Victory cards discarded this way back on top of their deck.

Witch Doctor: Love it; this card has everything going for it; it's an Island and a Witch; it's a Doctor. My only question is whether it's too weak at $4, since it can help your opponents so nicely (or nastily, since they can't actually remove a Curse that it "treated".) Possibly consider increasing the power level of card's vanilla ability.

Artwork: Hmmm. On the one hand I would caution you that this card is much better in 2-player than in 4-player; it's very likely that in a 2-player game, each player could have 5 or 6 copies, so going for it would be mandatory; in 4 player, 3 copies is more likely, in which it's less good. But, in both cases if the/an other player doesn't go for it, then they have to race you with conventional means. If they can't ever win in a race against it, then the card is mandatory. I suspect the card is always mandatory in 2-player, since if you don't go for it, then I do and you can't keep up (assumedly) but in 3 or 4 player it gets less mandatory, although I don't know if it gets less enough.

Master Smithy: This is an extraordinarily powerful card! While it's not perfectly going to work every time, I could set aside all of the cards that I have that are not King's Courts and Bridges and play this card... etc. This seems too good. At the same time, I haven't tested it, either. It does seem like a great concept, though. Perhaps it should be 2 cards instead of 3? But then it might be too weak and not enough of a Smithy.

Patent: I love this idea. Give up a card now to increase its appearance rate. I think it's perfect as-is, of course pending extra testing to make sure the cost is right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version