Dominion > Rules Questions

Innovation and Haggler

(1/5) > >>

majiponi:
I bought Innovation.

While a Haggler is in play, I bought Province. I gained and set aside another Haggler. I played it.

Do I gain another card cheaper than Province?

Jeebus:
I actually just discovered this myself. I started this thread to address this question: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19414.0

I asked about Groundskeeper, which triggers on when-gain, but if the answer is "yes" to that question, then it's also "yes" to gaining Haggler, Goons or Merchant Guild from buying another card. I already tried it with Haggler (your exact example) online, and it works.

You could for instance play Charm, buy a Gold, gain a Goons and play it, and get 1 VP token for buying Gold.

The more I think about, the more I think this is correct.

EDIT: Also with Talisman and Hoard (played via Black Market or Storyteller)

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: majiponi on January 11, 2019, 09:52:50 pm ---I bought Innovation.

While a Haggler is in play, I bought Province. I gained and set aside another Haggler. I played it.

Do I gain another card cheaper than Province?

--- End quote ---
Yes.

When you're in the window for resolving effects that trigger on a particular thing, new things that show up also work. This goes back to Secret Chamber / Moat - I play Militia, you use Secret Chamber, you get Moat from it, you use the Moat on the Militia.

SSLY:
Among those exotic things, my concern is Charm. It can set up a when-buy during a buy window, but “the next time when you buy a card”, I assume, doesn’t mean the window, can’t apply to (retrospectively I dare to say), the next time is the next window. The situation is: You buy Duchy with a Haggler, gain Black Market, play it by Innovation, so that you can play a Charm to set up the ability—and yet you can’t gain a card costing 5 other than Duchy. Right?

Ingix:
Good question. The "next time" formulation makes it tricky, but I'd say that if you actually buy a card from the Black Market it would apply to that buy. If you don't, it would be applicable to the Duchy buy, so allowing you to gain another $5 cost card.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version