Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing IRL is way more fun than playing online.  (Read 5500 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Playing IRL is way more fun than playing online.
« on: January 11, 2019, 01:51:24 am »
+5

...and it's not because of anything wrong with ShuffleIt.
Reasons:
- I choose kingdoms semi-randomly, but I check it and switch cards out if it's a bad kingdom (junkers with no trashing, mostly terminals with no splitters, cards I hate, etc).*
- my usual play group is close to my skill level. Even in rated games, I often get paired with players who either slaughter me every time or who I can beat really easily.
- fan cards are fun
- in person communication/jokes/etc and no rude/insulting opponents.

(*Yes, you can choose your kingdom on Shuffleit, but then you could be waiting quite a while for anyone to join your table. Automatch on unrated tables is my #1 wanted feature on ShuffleIt, but I think I'm in a minority there...)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: Playing IRL is way more fun than playing online.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:13 am »

Do people play with 3+ players on ShuffleIt?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:14:49 am »
+6

It takes *so much longer* though. Between setup, waiting for shuffles, cards resolving slower, and all that. I have an IRL friend I play with sometimes and he always insists on just getting out tablets and playing on screens.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:32:35 am »
+2

I personally have more fun playing with friends in person, as well, but I haven't gotten to do that much since my move. I also choose kingdoms semi-randomly, and I like swapping out limited numbers of cards between games.

I think online has a big advantage in competitive play, though. Speed, fairness, and rules being consistently and correctly applied are big deals. My limited in person tournament experience does not give me confidence in people's ability to truly shuffle their decks. And there is a lot of shuffling in Dominion.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:43:46 am »
+4

Shuffling and setup times are big pros of online playing. Social interaction and the ability to play as you wish (e.g.  with fan cards) are what makes me prefer IRL games. It comes down to what you want from the game.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:14:03 pm »
+9

What we need is for full colour e-ink displays to become cheap enough that we can afford 300-400 card-shaped ones for a game of Dominion.

Want a supply pile? Just stack at least as many cards as needed and let it morph the bottom n into the required cards, leaving the surplus with red faces so they're easy to drop back in the general stack.

Want your deck shuffled? Just pile up the cards and hit a button. The faces permute themselves without having to move the actual cards.

Give it another decade or two. (-8

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 03:04:00 pm »
+1

It's really fun to play with your real life friends on ShuffleIT, especially with skype or something for voice chat.

And it means you can play constructed kingdoms without waiting for opponents too.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 05:50:59 pm »
+1

(*Yes, you can choose your kingdom on Shuffleit, but then you could be waiting quite a while for anyone to join your table. Automatch on unrated tables is my #1 wanted feature on ShuffleIt, but I think I'm in a minority there...)

If you play IRL, you're probably going to have to wait even longer for anyone to join your table.

Do people play with 3+ players on ShuffleIt?

Some people do. Don't ask me why.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:28:07 pm »
+1

Automatch on unrated tables is my #1 wanted feature on ShuffleIt, but I think I'm in a minority there...
I'm in a similar minority for wanting rated-and-automatched games with kingdoms chosen the way you choose yours.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 11:38:17 pm »
+2

I've never played online.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 11:58:45 am »
+4

I've played only a few games online, not since the goko days.  And, it's fine.  But I like table chatter and people online would probably find that annoying.  I also like the tactile sensation of handling cards--shuffling cards is a great feeling even if it takes too long.

But the main reason I don't play online, isn't that I think it would be less fun, but because Dominion is an activity between me and my husband, and I'm trying not to completely outpace him.  I kinda already do, because I watch competitive games sometimes.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 03:13:39 pm »
+4

What we need is for full colour e-ink displays to become cheap enough that we can afford 300-400 card-shaped ones for a game of Dominion.

Want a supply pile? Just stack at least as many cards as needed and let it morph the bottom n into the required cards, leaving the surplus with red faces so they're easy to drop back in the general stack.

Want your deck shuffled? Just pile up the cards and hit a button. The faces permute themselves without having to move the actual cards.

While we can't quite have this, yet, it sounds like a use case for Augmented Reality. Have 400 otherwise empty cards with a unique identifier, so you can can assign them arbitrary overlays. There's some more tricks to it, but it seems doable.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 02:31:15 am »
+1

Mission Impossible, eat your heart out  8)
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 09:20:13 am »
+3

IRL takes longer, but I like the tactile sensation of playing with real cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:42 am »
+3

I am a 10 year veteran of Dominion IRL, and also have never played online.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 08:17:32 pm »

Shuffling and setup times are big pros of online playing. Social interaction and the ability to play as you wish (e.g.  with fan cards) are what makes me prefer IRL games. It comes down to what you want from the game.

I like IRL better but a lot of people on my gaming group don't pay attention, get annoyed when I announce which cards I'm playing/buying, and then get all suspicious about "when did you buy that?" when I suddenly have a much better engine than them.

Online is nice because there's no dispute that everyone is following the rules.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 06:19:18 am »
+9

I am a 10 year veteran of Dominion IRL, and also have never played online.

Hello, hello
I have been playing Dominion for about 3 years and hope to become a contributing member to this forum.

The structure of time has changed.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 09:25:01 pm »
+3

I also prefer IRL. I think a lot of it is the nostalgia factor for me, as I first got the game as a birthday gift 6 or 7 years ago.

It can get frustrating when I ask if anyone wants to play and either nobody responds or 2+ people respond, but I still prefer it for some reason.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 01:21:35 am »
+2

IRL takes longer, but I like the tactile sensation of playing with real cards.
When I talk about Dominion, I enjoy talking about it with people whose faces I can see, and hands I can shake.  However, that's rather difficult this day in age, so for everything else, there are places like DominionStrategy.com ;)

On a related note, I'm glad we had a dictionary in the house when growing up, but I'd much rather look up definitions of words online  8)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:24:33 am by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.