Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 100  All

Author Topic: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (Game Over, Perfect Mafia Victory!)  (Read 290919 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile

Welcome to M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia

This is a closed setup for 13 players. Some information about the setup is included in the second post.

Flavor will be based on the webcomics found here by Corey Mohler

Playerlist:
  • Debatepro Ludwig Wittgenstein, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day 4
  • faust Friedrich Nietzsche, Vanilla Townie, Endgamed
  • mail-mi (formerly Dylan32) Immanuel Kant, Neapolitan, Killed Night 2
  • silverspawn An Evil Demon, Mafia Goon, Survived
  • Uncleeurope Socrates, Mafia Goon, Survived
  • DatSwan Simone de Beauvoir, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day 2
  • MiX René Descartes, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day 1
  • LaLight Søren Kierkegaard, Mason, Killed Night 1
  • Joseph2302 Plato, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day 3
  • arishipshape David Hume, Mafia Neapolitan Enabler
  • shraeye Jean-Paul Sartre, Mason, Killed Night 3
  • EFHW Rudolf Carnap, Town Motion Detector, Endgamed
  • raerae Karl Marx, Vanilla Townie, Endgamed

* indicates a prod

Mod: Umbrageofsnow
Co-mod: jotheonah

Tagged:

Navigation:
Day 1 Start | mail-mi replaces Dylan | Day 1 End
Day 2 Start |Day 2 End
Day 3 Start |Day 3 End
Day 4 Start |Day 4 End

Rules:

The normal Rules of Mafia apply, with the following additions and changes
General
  • This is the mod color.  You may not use this color, or very small text, or any sort of stenography or encryption I deem likely to hurt the game.
  • All players will have personal QTs that they may post in at any time.
  • Questions will be answered, errors fixed, and rule-breaking punished at mod discretion.  I'll try my best to be fair and impartial and make sure everyone has fun, but some questions may not be answered and some things may not be resolved the way you want.  Complain about it via PM or QT, not in thread.
  • Mod communications of any kind may not be directly quoted in thread, although they may be paraphrased.
Voting
  • You may Vote: No LynchIf half, rounded up, of the living players vote this way, a No Lynch is achieved and the day ends.
  • Voting must be in bold to count.  If I recognize it as a vote for someone, it counts as a vote.  Ambiguity kills, kids.  If I don't know who you are voting for, it doesn't count.  Errors should be pointed out in thread, but if you were just being too weird for me to figure out what you meant, just revote.
  • Unvotes are not required to change your vote.
Deadlines & Prods
  • Game days will last 8 real life days.  Nights will last 2 days.  At the start of the phase I may announce that there will be a bit of extra time to line things up with my schedule.
  • All players still alive are required to check in during the night in (at least one of) their QT(s).
  • Night Actions may be submitted up until 2 hours before the next day starts.
  • If all players consent to it via QT or PM, night may be shortened and resolved as soon as I can.
  • When time for the day is up and no majority has been reached, the day results in a No Lynch.  If your vote is 1 second after the set deadline, that vote does not count, whether I've locked the thread or not.
  • Prods will be issued after 48 hours without posting in the game thread, unless you have declared V/LA.  A player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after that I'll start trying to find a replacement.  If you post in thread before I do, that's fine.  After 3 prods, players are subject to replacement or modkill, at the mods' discretion.  I might send out pokes before you're eligible for a prod, these have no consequences attached and are just to get you posting again and let you know you're close to being prodded.  But I'm not promising to always do so.
  • I'm happy to send prods by email or some other means if people like, but prods will be sent by PM on site by default. Let me know by PM if you have some other preference.
  • Players who discover they are too busy to play in a game or want to leave the game for civility issues are not allowed to officially /out in the thread once the game has started.  A request to replace out must only be done via a post in the role QT or PM. Please do not use this as a manipulation technique.  (Note players may continue to threaten to /out or imply that they might as long as it does not include an official request). Requests to /out are final once submitted. There will be no /outing and then /inning back into the game so make sure that when you /out you have thought it through and really want to do it. Players that can't be replaced will simply be mod-killed. Whether your request to /out will lead to replacement or a modkill is up to the mod's discretion.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:36:11 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (13 spots left!)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 02:30:24 pm »

This is a normal game.  If 2 days and 3 nights pass without anyone dying, Town wins.  Anti-town roles cannot both perform a factional kill and target a player with a night action on the same night.  Passive abilities cannot be tracked, roleblocked or redirected. Night actions will be resolved using "Reasonable Action Resolution."

Role PMs may be flavored but are existing roles.  The game should be unbreakable by flavor and no knowledge of philosophy is required.  I'll randomly choose the scumteam from a list of philosophers, I may then make some power role decisions non-randomly, but I will also help scum unfamiliar with the flavor by answering whether or not hypothetical fake claims would be plausible with how I've done flavor, and even offering tweaks to better fit the flavor.

If they ask at night in the scum QT or at any time during the day in their private QT, scum players may ask me to create the PM I'd have sent them if they had some hypothetical role.  If they exactly name a role a town member has, I promise they will recieve the same rules text as that town role.  If they exactly name a flavor name and role name, I'll just give them your PM outright (with player name removed). I'll err on the side of giving scum more information over allowing them to be outed by flavor.  This may provide scum with additional information if they are clever and you do a lot of claiming or soft claiming.  You have been warned. Flavor claiming will only help scum.

I guarantee that there are at least 5 VTs and at least 1 Goon.
Anyone who has a shared QT does not have daytalk unless they also have a living Encryptor, but may talk from the moment their role PM goes out until I lock the threads for daystart.

All power roles are guaranteed to come from the following list:
And may be modified with any of the following modifiers:

Quote from: Sample VT Role PM

You are Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, a Vanilla Townie.  Your only weapons are your voice and your vote.
You win when all non-town-aligned players have been eliminated, or nothing can prevent it.
This is your personal private topic, which may be used at any time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:05:59 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 02:31:01 pm »

@faust: Should I call this Philosopher's Mafia II or something?

Debatepro

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Debatepr0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:22:54 pm »

/in
FNG

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:31 pm »

@faust: Should I call this Philosopher's Mafia II or something?
Based on the current name, Philosopher's Mafia² seems more appropriate. But really I don't mind. It's good to have a different name for later reminiscing, but that's about it.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (12 spots left!)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:46 pm »

Oh and /in

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 04:19:10 pm »

All roles are guaranteed to come from the following list:

Though I have to say, the setup seems a bit bland.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 04:41:58 pm »

I hope I've fixed the blandness at this point.

Regarding that, I don't have a setup locked in yet so now's the perfect time to iron this out, but are there any other traditionally ambiguous roles on that list that I haven't clarified which version I'd use?

I'm trying to make a list of roles/modifiers similar-but-not-identical-to the mafiascum Normal list for use in games like this in the future too. I left some things off just because I don't like them and would never use them and may as well make that explicit rather than make people guess. I left off redirectors/bus-drivers because I suspect they should only be included in RMM or open games and not anything we're calling normal.

Disagreements appreciated.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (11 spots left!)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:18 pm »

/in
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 04:50:04 pm »

/in

I didn't say it in the other thread, but WELCOME BACK!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (10 spots left!)
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 05:44:33 pm »

/in

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:45 pm »

/in

I didn't say it in the other thread, but WELCOME BACK!

Thanks! And to you too!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (9 spots left!)
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 12:00:23 am »

/in
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (9 spots left!)
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 02:12:26 am »

yeah why not looks fun!

/in
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 02:28:50 am »

Regarding that, I don't have a setup locked in yet so now's the perfect time to iron this out, but are there any other traditionally ambiguous roles on that list that I haven't clarified which version I'd use?
Things that come to mind:
- Rolestoppers sometimes are able to block kills and sometimes not.
- the Hider mechanics aren't really specified in the mafiascum page
- Can Strongman be blocked? Does Strongman break through multiple layers of protection?
- You have Miller here but not Godfather. Intentional?

I'm trying to make a list of roles/modifiers similar-but-not-identical-to the mafiascum Normal list for use in games like this in the future too. I left some things off just because I don't like them and would never use them and may as well make that explicit rather than make people guess. I left off redirectors/bus-drivers because I suspect they should only be included in RMM or open games and not anything we're calling normal.
You may want to have a look at previous work by ashersky and me. This thread is also relevant. In particular I've noticed that you have kept the meaningless distinction between role and modifier from mafiascum. EDIT: I see that you have participated in the discussion way back when. I suppose you are already aware of this then.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:31:04 am by faust »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 12:01:28 pm »

Okay, clarified most of those, thanks faust!
- You have Miller here but not Godfather. Intentional?
Actually yes! I want cops to be able to trust innocent results perfectly, I don't want things like Neapolitan to have that over them (also note that I don't have Vanilla cop, only Neapolitan, same logic basically.) But I like scum being able to fake claim Miller. That might be stupid and I should maybe just remove Miller...

I don't want to rule it out, but something that people could probably put together from things I've said in the past: I'm really unlikely to have an unlimited Cop anyway, 1 or 2-shot, Even-night, something like that at most really.

You may want to have a look at previous work by ashersky and me. This thread is also relevant. In particular I've noticed that you have kept the meaningless distinction between role and modifier from mafiascum. EDIT: I see that you have participated in the discussion way back when. I suppose you are already aware of this then.
I did look at both of those, I think in the past I even said something like "roles will be taken from faust's list or the mafiascum one" or something like that. Without looking back right now I seem to remember the idea of your lists being to list all (for some value of all) the common roles. I'm totally in favor of using Redirector or Bus Driver or some of the other ones in RMM or open normal games, but I'm trying to make a more limited list of the more predictable roles, and realized that what I see as the line between not-too-weird and what is most often used isn't really explicit and I wanted to reduce the outguessing-the-mod element to some extent.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (7 spots left!)
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 12:06:36 pm »

I do think the modifier distinction is a meaningful thing, but I've moved the ones that are usable as their own role into the role section.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 02:44:33 pm »

Note: I am only gonna be able to be in 1 mafia game at a time, so if Imperial Radch mafia starts before this, I will have to out.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 05:23:59 pm »

/in

I've never played a closed setup before, but I've played plenty of mafia before, so how badly can this go, right?

...right? besides, I see that you're always short of players, and I have been reading the flavor...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 06:24:21 pm »

The step from forum mafia to forum mafia with a closed setup is pretty small. You have nothing to worry about.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 04:20:36 pm »

Thought I should share this fun quote now before it could reasonably be construed as commenting on the quality of anyone's case on anyone else:
Quote from: Joseph Epstein (2012), Essays in Biography, Axios Press
What is it about the study of philosophy that tends to make brilliant minds stupid when it comes down to what are known as actual cases? Consider Martin Heidegger, Bertrand Russell, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Ludwig Wittgenstein, the four great names in twentieth-century philosophy: the first was a Nazi, the second died certain that America was responsible for all the world’s evil, the third was a Stalinist long after any justification for being so could be adduced, and the fourth lived on the borders of madness most of his life. Contemplation of the lives of philosophers is enough to drive one to the study of sociology.

I've never played a closed setup before, but I've played plenty of mafia before, so how badly can this go, right?

...right? besides, I see that you're always short of players, and I have been reading the flavor...
Like silverspawn said, a closed setup really isn't that big a jump, I'm sure you'll be fine. Glad to have you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: M121: Philosophers Mafia Mafia (6 spots left!)
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 11:35:13 pm »

/out

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 12:31:41 pm »

/in
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 04:07:42 pm »

/in or /comod whichever is more needed
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 01:33:21 pm »

I’ll throw in a /comod as well in case.
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 100  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 20 queries.