Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nested Black Markets  (Read 1800 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Nested Black Markets
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:06:33 pm »
+1

I feel like this has to have been asked before, but I couldn't find it being addressed here or on the wiki:

What happens when you play a Black Market in the middle of resolving a previously played Black Market?

This should be possible with either Crown or Capitalism.

The top 3 cards of the Black Market deck are revealed, and during the "play Treasures" part, you play another Black Market. Do you reveal 3 more cards from the Black Market deck and set aside the previous 3? Do you then have to choose which, if any, of the 3 new cards to buy before going back to the original 3? And you can spend $ from the Treasures you played with the original Black Market in the nested Black Market, but then that money is gone when you go back the original Black Market?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Nested Black Markets
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:51:25 pm »
+3

If you play a Treasure during Black Market, you resolve all of that Treasure's effects before continuing in the Black Market. Normally this is at most stuff like Horn of Plenty or Treasure Trove. If you have Capitalism it'd go something like this.

Play Black Market 1
  Reveal 3 cards
  May play treasures
     As one of those treasures, play Black Market 2
       Reveal 3 new cards
       May play treasures - let's say you don't do anything crazy here.
       Now you may buy 1 of the 3 cards revealed to Black Market 2.
       Put the other revealed cards from Black Market 2 on the bottom.
  Now you may buy 1 of the 3 cards revealed to Black Market 1.
  Put the other revealed cards from Black Market 1 on the bottom.

Money played during any of the Black Markets sticks around for the entire turn, so you can play Treasures during Black Market 2, not buy anything from Black Market 2, then choose to buy something from Black Market 1 with the money you got.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 06:57:53 pm »
+3

I tested this four levels deep on the online version and it was fine.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 08:02:38 pm »
+2

I tested it like 70 levels deep earlier and it was fine.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 10:32:59 am »

Is it in a rulebook somewhere that revealed cards are temporarily not considered to be in the place they are revealed from?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:16:26 am »

At this point do certain cards get revealed from the black market several times? Or when they're revealed once are they temporarily not in the black market? That would mean you could have an empty black market pile (temporarily) without buying anything?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:32:43 am »

At this point do certain cards get revealed from the black market several times? Or when they're revealed once are they temporarily not in the black market? That would mean you could have an empty black market pile (temporarily) without buying anything?

Yeah, I had an empty Black Market pile, and the Black Markets after that point didn't reveal anything.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 12:55:16 pm »

Is it in a rulebook somewhere that revealed cards are temporarily not considered to be in the place they are revealed from?

Cards revealed (or looked at) from your deck are not in your deck. (This is confirmed by Donald, and is of course how OutlookLookout, Golem, etc, work.) I don't think it's explicitly stated anywhere as a rule, but it's at least implied by several card interactions desribed in the "card notes" sections of rulebooks. It makes sense that the same applies to the Black Market deck.

I'm not sure if the same applies to cards revealed from your hand, but I don't think it matters because nothing happens while you're revealing the card. Maybe the same applies to revealing Tunnels from your discard pile? That would maybe make the whole matter of the timing of Tunnel (discussed a lot several times) easier to explain, or maybe more difficult, I don't feel like going into that now.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:09:27 pm by Jeebus »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:01:16 pm »
+5

Outlook

Is this a card from the upcoming Dominion: Software expansion?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 01:07:23 pm »

Cards revealed (or looked at) from your deck are not in your deck. (This is confirmed by Donald, and is of course how Outlook, Golem, etc, work.) I don't think it's explicitly stated anywhere as a rule, but it's at least implied by several card interactions desribed in the "card notes" sections of rulebooks. It makes sense that the same applies to the Black Market deck.

I'm not sure if the same applies to cards revealed from your hand, but I don't think it matters because nothing happens while you're revealing the card. Maybe the same applies to revealing Tunnels from your discard pile? That would maybe make the whole matter of the timing of Tunnel (discussed a lot several times) easier to explain, or maybe more difficult, I don't feel like going into that now.

I knew the rule / ruling; just was curious if any of the rulebooks actually stated it flat-out.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 06:09:35 pm »
+1

I knew the rule / ruling; just was curious if any of the rulebooks actually stated it flat-out.
I don't think so, but would have to check them all to be sure.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 21 queries.