Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A real heartbreaker...  (Read 1927 times)

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
A real heartbreaker...
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:16:15 am »

So I rarely go for alternate VP strategies, and I'm sure I played this sub-optimally, but I really should have had this one: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/07/game-20120307-220645-a68b0945.html

My opponent goes for Colonies, while I buy up most of the Silk Roads, Gardens and Estates. It took longer than I expected for me to empty the piles, as a result of which my opponent was able to grab several colonies. With two estates left I pull up $2 with a Tactician. My tactician turns usually netted me 2-3 victory cards, so I figured it was worth the wait. Big mistake. My opponent wisely buys the two remaining estates on his next turn to end the game up 7 VP. The real heartbreaker is that a single additional victory card would have put me from 23 victory cards to 24, and from 49 total cards to 50. With 7 Silk Roads and 6 Gardens, that estate could have netted me 14 points! It was a bad night and I lost a lot of games I should have won (looking at you WW!), but this one really took the wind out of me. Anyone else have an impenetrable barrier at level 39?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:31:56 am by tlloyd »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: A real heartbreaker...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:04 am »

Anyone else have an impenetrable barrier at level 39?

Seems to be 38 for me. I think I briefly hit 39 for a day before hitting a losing streak.

For your game, I think you need more horse-traders in a non-mirror. It's like workshop; spam them (slightly less so) in a solo alt-vp, get 3 or so in a mirror.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:42:05 am »

For your game, I think you need more horse-traders in a non-mirror. It's like workshop; spam them (slightly less so) in a solo alt-vp, get 3 or so in a mirror.

I'm sure you're right about this. Nevertheless I could have won the game had I only bought that estate on my last turn, which for some reason makes the loss seem worse.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:26:46 pm »

Davio has it at 36. For me I can't get to the 30s because my computer keeps breaking just when I get to the mid 20s >.>
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 04:26:14 pm »

After finally overcoming a barrier at 35, I peaked at 37 for only a few days, only to promptly go on a losing streak and drop down to 32. Now I am back up to 34, but I just can't seem to consistently get above 35.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:44:00 pm »

Davio has it at 36. For me I can't get to the 30s because my computer keeps breaking just when I get to the mid 20s >.>
Hehe, yeah. Been 37 a short while, then back to 36 and now even 35.

No matter what I do, I just keep losing some unlucky games, winning some unexpected ones and everything in between. Just very swingy. I can go 4 games without a win and win 4 games in a row just as easy. No matter whether the ranks are 0 or 30+.

I wished they removed the ranking so I didn't have to mind them. :)

I play vs. unranked/guest players from time to time just to have a different sort of game. A lot of them are even very nice! :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:52:08 pm »

Hehe, yeah. Been 37 a short while, then back to 36 and now even 35.

No matter what I do, I just keep losing some unlucky games, winning some unexpected ones and everything in between. Just very swingy. I can go 4 games without a win and win 4 games in a row just as easy. No matter whether the ranks are 0 or 30+.

I wished they removed the ranking so I didn't have to mind them. :)

I play vs. unranked/guest players from time to time just to have a different sort of game. A lot of them are even very nice! :D

I'm often willing to play unranked players as well. Sometimes I have more fun when I'm not worried about my rank changing. It also gives me a chance to try out different things.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.642 seconds with 20 queries.