Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Tokens?  (Read 1697 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Card Tokens?
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:41:01 am »

It's the obvious missing one. (Buy tokens do not seem very interesting)

Simple cards that might work:

$5
+3 card tokens

$4
+2 card tokens

$2
+1 action
+1 card token

Is it too slow (card decisions take longer I think than coins and actions)?

It doesn't seem too powerful?

Obviously there are more complicated cards out there.

I assume someone has thought of this and there is a thread somewhere?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Card Tokens?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:50:38 am »
+2

I think one difference between card tokens and action/coin tokens is that you want the extra card right now far more often.

It's easy to have no use for an extra coin right now... it's common to want to buy something that costs less than what you produced. Whether that's because you produced more than this turn when you're into the Province-buying part of the game; or you simply produced buy would rather have a cost than a Gold.

Similarly, with actions; it's plenty likely that you produce more actions than you can play; based on not having terminals in your hand.

But with +cards; unless you have already drawn your deck, then you are almost always going to want those cards right away. Or at the very least; you will always want them at the start of your next turn. So I think +card tokens will end up acting more like Wharf or Haunted Woods.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:13:20 pm »

I think one difference between card tokens and action/coin tokens is that you want the extra card right now far more often.

It's easy to have no use for an extra coin right now... it's common to want to buy something that costs less than what you produced. Whether that's because you produced more than this turn when you're into the Province-buying part of the game; or you simply produced buy would rather have a cost than a Gold.

Similarly, with actions; it's plenty likely that you produce more actions than you can play; based on not having terminals in your hand.

But with +cards; unless you have already drawn your deck, then you are almost always going to want those cards right away. Or at the very least; you will always want them at the start of your next turn. So I think +card tokens will end up acting more like Wharf or Haunted Woods.

You are definitely more likely to use them right away, but not always. Having a bigger hand at the start of the turn can be really useful.

It is also handy if you don't want to trigger a re-shuffle

But you are right - the delta between +cards and +card tokens is not as big as +actions/coins and +action/coin tokens

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 04:04:02 pm »

Although if there was a reaction that would reverse the -1 Card token to a +1 Card token that would be useful. Although relic, raid, and borrow are the only official cards that give them out. You would probably first want to make some more cards that give them out. I’ve got some in my wildlands that does. My lion attack card does and the way it’s designed most reactions don’t work against it.

Although if I created one and worded it like this:

If you have your -1 Card token, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do turn your -1 Card token into a +1 Card token, and at the start of your next turn put this back into your hand.

Horse traders is reaction that works against lion. So that idea would work too. Thanks for giving me an idea.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 04:40:42 pm »

It strikes me you'd be way more likely to save up card tokens in a game without a good source of +Buy, if you can see you're already reaching $8 this turn?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:15:53 pm »

Being able to turn them into cards whenever will lead to a lot of regret  over misspent tokens, unlike Coffers which you use to hit a certain price point,  and Villagers which you use to play Actions you wouldn't have otherwise been able to play.

Sinister plot explores most of the interesting decisions +Card tokens would give you.

I do like the idea of a mat for "At the start of your next turn" drawing though.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 09:09:28 am »

Would these token gainers be events or cards?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 12:37:04 pm »

Would these token gainers be events or cards?

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.