Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 93  All

Author Topic: RMM51: Imperial Radch Mafia (Game over)  (Read 269889 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: RMM51: Imperial Radch Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2019, 02:54:59 pm »

^^what robz said. I say what I think

I'm sure that, when you're town, you do. And I'm sure that, when you're scum, you pretend to. So we all have to ask ourselves, does mail-mi's stream of consciousness posting feel authentic and sincere?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2019, 03:01:11 pm »

^^what robz said. I say what I think

I'm sure that, when you're town, you do. And I'm sure that, when you're scum, you pretend to. So we all have to ask ourselves, does mail-mi's stream of consciousness posting feel authentic and sincere?
'Tis true, that is what you and the others should do. Also note that typically I like observing rather than commenting, which is a mold I've been trying to break out of for the 2 years I've been gone, but it's still there.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2019, 03:02:23 pm »

Looks like everyone has posted except ash, mcmc, and gala. Where y'all at?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2019, 03:05:51 pm »

Galz, dang it autocorrupt

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2019, 03:08:30 pm »

Galz, dang it autocorrupt

But "Gala" is rather festive, don't you think?
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2019, 03:13:59 pm »

Similarly, I’m not finding hyper scummy for reading the set up carefully. I think as a relative newb, I read carefully so that I can make sure I understand what is going on and since I am even more unaccustomed to closed games, that kind of thing feels important to me. so, what he’s doing makes sense to me and reminding us all of the plurality seems pro-town.  I’d find it way more suspicious if he was one of the more experienced players.

Reminding people about the setup is also something scum can easily do to get town points for reminding people about the set up. It's all just WIFOM, and I don't think in this case sways hypercube's scumminess either way.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2019, 03:44:06 pm »

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2019, 04:00:25 pm »

Vote: hypercube
Why?

Is hypercube your scumbuddy?

Nope I'm just trying to create conversation. I know why I'm voting for him (the main reason is wagon placement as explained) but I'm wondering why e is voting for him

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2019, 04:02:32 pm »

Nope I'm just trying to create conversation. I know why I'm voting for him (the main reason is wagon placement as explained) but I'm wondering why e is voting for him

A better way to create conversation would be to explain why you aren't scum.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2019, 04:52:03 pm »

Galz posted some early on. I think I voted for her briefly.

Sidenote: I'm inclined to use she/her pronouns for everyone in light of the flavor but if you really don't want me to do that please let me know.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2019, 06:17:51 pm »

ok

Actually, Vote: mail-mi

While it might sound like pronoun-omgus, I've just realised that I haven't been doing setup stuff at all, so characterizing me as having done so is weird. I've talked about the flavour, because it's something I like, and about timezones because it's something I'm generally conscious of as someone who's not on the American continent.

I haven't really begun posting my thoughts on how the game mechanics and real set-up stuff might go, because the stuff I've thought of doesn't really fit with a anything I'd see as a balanced game.

I explained this part, that when I was referencing SA doing "setup stuff," I was meaning that they were doing flavor talking and timezone talking and all that jazz. In a way, you could refer to what I was talking as "setup stuff" as "pregame stuff," like "okay, let's talk a little bit about flavor and then about timezones, and then we'll get into scumhunting and such."

note that I did townread SA for that, because that's something I think town!SA does.

vote: mail-mi

Mass claims on day one are always a bad idea.

it was only a suggestion, not something that I was planning on going through unless there was considerable consensus on the idea. There may be some town PR with a role that relies on flavor names, or something like that, that would benefit from a flavor claim. There may also be a scum role that does so. We don't know--that's why I asked.

What do people think of this post from mail-mi? Specifically, responding to a vote on himself by voting for the person who's voting for him?

To me it kind of reinforces my scumread, though I can't quite say why.

Like I actually don't think the point he's making is bad. But it's a really interesting way to respond to a vote on him and an immediate wagon on the person who voted for him.

i think it's an ok post by mail-mi

I also thought it was a strange reaction; I'm not sure what to think of mail-mi at this point. Trying to discourage wagons from forming feels like it could just be anti-town town play.

I'm not trying to discourage wagons (for example, I don't care if Joth gets more votes on him or not). I just felt that scum!hypercube saw the opportunity to slip onto a quickly forming wagon (on what in this case would be town!joth) without too much of a consequence. Well, now there's a consequence--there's a wagon on him now.

Well this has been enlightening. I have to go do work away from my computer, I'll check in at lunch if I have time, in the meantime,

vote:mail-mi

why?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2019, 06:18:32 pm »

tl;dr mail-mi is not scum.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2019, 06:19:09 pm »

ok now it's your turn

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2019, 06:19:55 pm »

You only quoted other people. Other people's posts aren't evidence why you aren't scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2019, 06:21:56 pm »

ok now it's your turn

It's still pretty early in the game and so the only really noteworthy things I have done was voting Galz and asking you to explain why you're town, both of which are pro-town things to do.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2019, 06:25:07 pm »

You only quoted other people. Other people's posts aren't evidence why you aren't scum.

False, I responded to the accusations others were making against me.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2019, 06:25:58 pm »

it's even in my sig line to help people remember.

To be fair, the way you have it in your sig mostly just makes it look like you modded the Pronouns: they/them mafia.

Ah, well there's my theme for next time I want to run a game :-)
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2019, 06:33:48 pm »

Which is useless because it doesn't do anything to prove that you aren't scum for reasons that nobody has accused you for.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2019, 06:35:22 pm »

Which is useless because it doesn't do anything to prove that you aren't scum for reasons that nobody has accused you for.

well here's something. I've been adding to the conversation and creating some, when scum!me would be content with maintaining the meta of "oh he's just a lurker, we'll figure out if he's scum sooner or later".

better?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2019, 06:37:43 pm »

well here's something. I've been adding to the conversation and creating some, when scum!me would be content with maintaining the meta of "oh he's just a lurker, we'll figure out if he's scum sooner or later".

better?

Yeah, at least that's something.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2019, 06:40:38 pm »

Busy day.. read a little from work but I try not to post from there except at lunch. Maybe I should collect up reactions to stuff in one tidy post now rather than spamming the thread with possible fluff.

Re the Mail-mi conversation, I see a big difference between useful logistics (like working out who knows the flavour and preempting and last-minute complaints about deadline timings) and actual set-up stuff. My usual "thing" is to get very into probabilities and analysis of configurations, which I just can't do here. Am I just being too particular about my definition?

I agree that massclaims aren't going to get us far on D1. I probably like D3 for that sort of thing, or maybe D4 depending on what info we get about how this game works from the flips. Not sure it's worth joth jumping on Mail-mi for the comment, though we have to find reasons to vote somewhere. Robz and e's reaction-votes seem totally fair.

On the actual topic of flavour that Mail-mi was trying to steer towards, I think it's highly likely that faust has made the game unbreakable for flavour claims. I'm sure there was a discussion somewhere around here quite recently about how to assign flavour names. Was it during the Dirk Gently game? I'd have to go and look, but other people almost certainly have better memories than me.

I agree with hyper's stance on wagons being good. They're excellent for PPE later in the game if townie people don't always sit in one spot the whole time, because there are certain patterns of votes that scums just don't feel comfortable with, and there's always the risk that bussing scums trying not to be obvious about who their partners are end up taking it too far. Recently, late-game me has gotten frustrated with early-game me for not making enough use of votes in D1 to help me later on with my analysis. I do often find D1 just really hard to get my teeth into, though, so don't expect me to do too well at this one all at once :-P
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2019, 06:42:23 pm »

I think continuing to focus on mail-mi so much--something Joth is doing--is somewhat scummy. I've often seen mail-mi make himself into an easy target in games past, perhaps especially when town.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2019, 06:43:20 pm »

oh, and also vote: hypercube for reading the setup

What do you mean by this? Is this just an early random vote?

In my experience scum is more inclined to read the setup thoroughly to not accidentally show they have more information than other people

Is that really the case? I think certain people as scum are more likely to have a grasp of the complexities of a setup because while they're not players who might usually pore over the setup text thinking about interactions, if they have scumbuddies then they might pick things up in the scum QT that they wouldn't be expected to come up with alone. While I don't know hyper that well, I'm not sure I'd put him into the group of people who I wouldn't expect to read and think about it on their own. (My prototypical person I'm thinking of for that group is PPS!).

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2019, 06:44:13 pm »

Mafia often have a better grasp of the setup because they have more data points: two or three or four or whatever people with powers.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2019, 06:44:27 pm »

Apropos of nothing, mcmc has yet to post. Get in here, mcmc!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 93  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.