Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 93  All

Author Topic: RMM51: Imperial Radch Mafia (Game over)  (Read 270043 times)

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
Re: RMM51: Imperial Radch Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2019, 03:44:06 pm »

Can anyone tell anything about the flavor please?

It’s been a little while since I’ve read the books. The Radch is an empire The is expanding, taking over humanity using living ships to annex planets. The ships can also control some number of human bodies, called Ancillaries (you don’t want to know where they get the bodies.) There are aliens, but they are inscrutable and difficult to communicate with. One alien race, the Presger, is only stopped from completely annihilating humanity by a treaty, and if any individual human violates the treaty it would be very, very bad. There’s also the Rrr and the Geck but no one knows much about them.

The Radch is ruled by Aanander Mianani (or something) and her many clones. Her mind is spread across lots of clone bodies all over the empire. Spoilers for book one Her mind seems to have split and now some of her are working against the others, threatening a civil war within the Radch

All of this is correct, also, the lead character is Breq (the Fleet Captain), she is the AI of a ship contained in a human body. She once had lots of bodies, but now has just one, but she still has the awareness that she her mind used to be in many bodies. Her second in command is Seivarden, a human.

AIs are all over the place...Ships are AIs, and the space stations have an AI, too. Some beings have accesses where they can communicate directly with the Ship or Station on a private channel and they have access to the information they get forommcareras, connected soldiers, and other ship/station data. AIs try to keep the peace, and they have been programmed with emotions so that they can actively look out for the well being of their humans.

In the books, there are two factions Radchaii factions at odds with another.  One side is trying to shift from conquering new worlds and enslaving the humans that live there and is pushing for expansion and continued use of ancillaries. Most of the folx (humans and AIs) in Apotheok quadrant are of the former, but the latter are more dangerous.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2019, 03:51:56 pm »

@mail-mi (and Glooble) I’m relatively new....I’ve played 4 games since August when I joined. Hypercube and I started together in NM11. I knew nothing about that game at all before then. I have lots of newb questions and enjoy the games most when the late-night bourbon gang is posting. 

School is just starting for me, too, but I teach so subistitute grading for homework, whatever...the struggle is real. On T/Th, I pretty much can only play during office hours. So, if you wonder what people do during office hours....

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2019, 03:57:12 pm »

yeah well, I basically only play during office hours with really rare exceptions, hence the limited access on weekends
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2019, 04:03:16 pm »

yeah well, I basically only play during office hours with really rare exceptions, hence the limited access on weekends

And here I thought you just had a really healthy life/work/game balance!

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2019, 04:03:58 pm »

well, you're not entirely wrong :)
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2019, 04:45:08 pm »

In the last RMM game I played, I had the ability to switch alignments, and I switched from evil to good to help the town, and Galz didn't believe me!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2019, 04:47:32 pm »

I have a feeling, based on flavor, that alignment switching is not going to be voluntary. I suspect Aanander Mianani will have some kind of cult leader mechanic. Could be wrong of course.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: RMM51: Imperial Radch Mafia (Signups open!)
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »

I have a feeling, based on flavor, that alignment switching is not going to be voluntary. I suspect Aanander Mianani will have some kind of cult leader mechanic. Could be wrong of course.

Noone's alignment can change without their consent.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »

I stand corrected.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2019, 05:39:16 pm »

People who have given at least some indication they've read Ancillary Justice: WCD, Glooble, joth (and me!)

People who appear not to know the flavour at all: Galz, LL.

What about the rest of you?

Fun fact: I once cosplayed Breq at a convention. I usually hate dressing up, but walking around with a pretty tea bowl wearing an "Awn Elming" pin seemed acceptable :-)
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2019, 05:44:02 pm »

Did you get the pin from one of her readings?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2019, 05:44:28 pm »

Are the two of you using different definitions of "office hours" here? :-P
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2019, 05:45:49 pm »

Did you get the pin from one of her readings?

I bought a bag of them from her on Etsy for me and several other friends here who're fans. It came with signed book plates :-)

(I'm based in the UK.. not sure she does a lot of readings over here).

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:39 pm »

People who have given at least some indication they've read Ancillary Justice: WCD, Glooble, joth (and me!)

Fun fact: I once cosplayed Breq at a convention. I usually hate dressing up, but walking around with a pretty tea bowl wearing an "Awn Elming" pin seemed acceptable :-)

I have 0 knowledge of flavor. Is there a Radch wiki I can read that would help?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2019, 05:53:45 pm »

On the subject of being in the UK, what timezones are the rest of you in? Who's actually likely to be awake for a 4am forum time deadline?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2019, 05:58:44 pm »

I have no knowledge of the flavor.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:40 pm »

I have 0 knowledge of flavor. Is there a Radch wiki I can read that would help?

Hmm.. no idea really. Google finds me this wiki, but I haven't determined whether it's something you'd think would help: http://imperial-radch.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Content

I can definitely recommend reading Ancillary Justice, though!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:55 pm »

On the subject of being in the UK, what timezones are the rest of you in? Who's actually likely to be awake for a 4am forum time deadline?

I'm in mountain time zone, so it'll be 2 am for me. I can probably be there til like 2 hours before deadline
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2019, 06:06:54 pm »

I’m in Eastern time but I go to bed pretty early.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2019, 06:13:47 pm »

I love this!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2019, 06:14:55 pm »

I'm in UTC+2. I woke up at 21 today (technically yesterday) and I'm trying to fix my sleep schedule by moving it forward so I would assume that I'm awake for the deadline at least on D1, but no guarantees.

I haven't even heard of the flavor.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2019, 06:15:54 pm »

I’m in Eastern time but I go to bed pretty early.

Is eastern the same as forum time?

I'm guessing from mail-mi's comment that Mountain is FT-2.

I'm on FT+5, but my sleep hours are 1am-9am local time, so that is exactly the 8 hours running up to the deadline.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2019, 06:18:18 pm »

Yes, forum time is Eastern. I’m an in US Central, an hour behind Forum Time (FT-1).

I go to bed before 10 on weekdays, so definitely not around at deadline

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2019, 06:18:37 pm »

Man, this is such a crappy wagon. Let's join a different one.

Vote: Galzria

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2019, 07:00:57 pm »

So, WestCoast, DatSwan, hypercube, and Glooble, what's your mafia playing experience?

This is my fourth game of forum mafia. I've played a decent amount IRL as well.

I'm in UTC +1, usual posting hours for me are 500 FT to 1900 FT or so. I should be able to make a 400 FT deadline.

Note that we have plurality lynching but having a tied vote is really bad:

If the deadline is hit without a player reaching the majority of votes, the player that would take the least number of additional votes to lynch dies. If there is a tie, a town player dies before a non-town player. Otherwise, who dies is determined randomly.

The wording "the player that would take the least number of additional votes to lynch dies" seems non-standard and suggests that there's going to be something strange going on with voting.
I have sigs off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 93  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.