Archive > Dominion FAQ

What counts as an attack?

(1/4) > >>

nasmith99:
The obvious answer is "the cards with attack written on them". My question is whether there is a concrete algorithm Donald uses to determine which cards get counted as attacks.

J Reggie:
Basically anything that it would make sense for Moat to block, is my impression. So for example, Ill Gotten Gains could be an attack, but couldn't be blocked since it doesn't attack when played. On the flip side, Council Room could be an attack but it wouldn't usually make sense to block it.

Chris is me:
I think it's pretty obvious to me - it's cards with an on-play effect that are usually detrimental to an opponent.

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: Chris is me on December 30, 2018, 12:11:36 am ---I think it's pretty obvious to me - it's cards with an on-play effect that are usually detrimental to an opponent.

--- End quote ---
Right - an on-play effect that looks like it is clearly trying to hurt opponents.

Ill-Gotten Gains would have been an attack if attacks and Moats were worded so as to handle that from the start. Things like Council Room or Embassy's when-gain would never have been attacks, even though you can argue that sometimes they hurt you.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: Donald X. on December 30, 2018, 04:42:19 am ---
--- Quote from: Chris is me on December 30, 2018, 12:11:36 am ---I think it's pretty obvious to me - it's cards with an on-play effect that are usually detrimental to an opponent.

--- End quote ---
Right - an on-play effect that looks like it is clearly trying to hurt opponents.

Ill-Gotten Gains would have been an attack if attacks and Moats were worded so as to handle that from the start. Things like Council Room or Embassy's when-gain would never have been attacks, even though you can argue that sometimes they hurt you.

--- End quote ---

I would argue that Embassy's when-gain hurts more often than some actual Attacks in the game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version