Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Scavenger is Back  (Read 5016 times)

SettingFraming

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: breppert
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
Dominion Scavenger is Back
« on: December 24, 2018, 11:36:56 am »
+15

The online rankings site Dominion Scavenger (http://dominion.lauxnet.com/scavenger/) has been down for a little over a month now, but I've finally had the time to make the changes necessary to bring the site back up.

Basically I cache a lot more aggressively now, so instead of constantly trying to pull latest results from the live Dominion Online servers, I pull them every minute and cache everything so when individual people load pages it all just happens on my server and doesn't reach out to Dominion Online's servers, potentially overwhelming them. So results should be updated every minute on Scavenger now (both on the "Scavenger" page as well as the "Live Leaderboards" page). As a side note, I've expanded the live leaderboard page to be the top 500 instead of just the top 200 now (http://dominion.lauxnet.com/live_leaderboard/ - must be in top 550 to start the day to be eligible).

My life's been too busy the past month to work on any of the suggestions that I've gotten for the site (quite obviously, as I didn't even fix the site), but the next few things I will work on will likely be:
  • Fixing the mu/phi/levels graph
  • "Recent live leaderboards" - such as leaderboard based primarily/only on the last 30 days of results.

I've also had several offers of people offering their help to work on the site. While that isn't currently too easy (my dev environments/repository settings are not easy to replicate as of right now, and most people aren't Django developers, which is what the site is written in), I want to make that more possible than it is right now, so I have a goal to make that better.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:38:26 am by SettingFraming »
There are no masters, only those who have spent longer in the depths.

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Scavenger is Back
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 06:21:23 pm »

Thanks for the work on this, happy to see it's back!

Question about Glicko ratings (possible bug report?) while you're here:  Are there any circumstances under which a player's mu parameter should decrease after a win?

My match history currently looks like this.  The bottom line surprises me; I was under the impression that a win would always increase your mu (the algorithm's "best guess" about your true skill), and that even if your opponent was rated substantially lower, that would only result in a smaller increase in mu.  Have I misunderstood the rating system, or is this possibly a bug?

(Note that I don't specifically remember the game, so even if it is a bug, it could be a display bug rather than an actual ratings implementation bug; that is, maybe the bug is just that a loss is displaying as a win.)

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 07:39:17 pm »

The mu and other information listed with the games is for that opponent.

In the screenshot it shows that you won 4 games to an expected 3.5 and correspondingly your mu is projected to go up.

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 01:14:40 am »

The mu and other information listed with the games is for that opponent.

In the screenshot it shows that you won 4 games to an expected 3.5 and correspondingly your mu is projected to go up.
Can you unpack this more for me?  Does that mean that the negative number I was pointing out in the mu column doesn't mean "your mu decreased this match", but "this opponent's mu was lower than yours"?

Does that mean the other 3 players I beat has higher mu than me (despite being lower level)?

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 11:59:40 am »

The mu in the column is the opponent's rating. The only thing that is affected by your rating is the expected win rate.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 04:31:40 pm »

As someone who doesn't play online... can Scavenger show information about individual games? Or does it only do rankings?

Is this the difference between the Woodcutter tool and the Scavenger tool?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 04:17:17 am »
+1

Scavanger shows player names, their ratings parameters, the result and the game number.
It doesn't show kingdom or deck composition over time as the Woodcutter tool.

Jimmmy

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmy
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 05:30:21 pm »

I've been out for a while and the site seems to be down now. Is it just temporary, or is there any new alternative?

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 05:58:27 am »
+1

I don't know about the site itself, but AFAIK the access of the site to the Dominion Online database of results has been temporarily cancelled. With the recent slowdowns, it turned out that some of the querries were taking  a large toll on the database server.

The intention is to restore access once the situation has stabilized. When exactly that is, is unclear at the moment.

Jimmmy

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmy
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 08:14:26 am »
+1

I don't know about the site itself, but AFAIK the access of the site to the Dominion Online database of results has been temporarily cancelled. With the recent slowdowns, it turned out that some of the querries were taking  a large toll on the database server.

The intention is to restore access once the situation has stabilized. When exactly that is, is unclear at the moment.

Thanks for the info!

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 12:41:19 pm »

The site is down still fwiw.  Did they ever resolve this issue?  Or is this hosted somewhere else now?
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 01:03:46 pm »

The site is down still fwiw.  Did they ever resolve this issue?  Or is this hosted somewhere else now?

It's gone. Everyone is using the bot on Discord these days.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.