Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to play this board -- lots of powerful attacks  (Read 1277 times)

CoheedandCambria

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
How to play this board -- lots of powerful attacks
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:12:00 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/07/game-20120307-160344-2cc7b766.html

Was wondering what other people would do in this game.. my reasoning for mandarin first was to help keep my terminals from clashing but at second glance it was probably an awful buy. I made many mistakes this game and only reason I won was because of my salvagers.

My opponent suggested after his possession buy that it would have probably been better to pick up a Golem since it was so early. It wasn't very helpful cause of our awful hands but it did pick him up some decent buys

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: How to play this board -- lots of powerful attacks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:23:40 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/07/game-20120307-160344-2cc7b766.html

Was wondering what other people would do in this game.. my reasoning for mandarin first was to help keep my terminals from clashing but at second glance it was probably an awful buy. I made many mistakes this game and only reason I won was because of my salvagers.

My opponent suggested after his possession buy that it would have probably been better to pick up a Golem since it was so early. It wasn't very helpful cause of our awful hands but it did pick him up some decent buys

You both probably could have ignored torturer, its so much worse when other strong cursers are out, and just begs for terminal collision with its draw here.   You didn't only win because of salvager. Salvager helps the possessor a ton; they don't care about losing the trashed item. Your opponent likely was a bit luckier than you; silver-potion into apothecary-mountebank is very lucky not to miss 5$ first reshuffle.

Mandarin probably was a mistake. Courtyard is a much nicer card if you ever hit 2-4$ and dont want a silver, and it also has the same topdecking ability.

Also, I'm not so sure about possession at all this game: its weaker in cursing attack games (and much, much stronger in discretionary attack game... see Ambassador, Swindler, Spy). Genko might have been better off to buy a golem his first 6P (which was early, but not too early for an apothecary opening in a mountebank game)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:32:52 pm »

I definitely would not have picked up a Mandarin here. It's a terminal you don't need, and it delays you from inflicting that all important first Curse. Mountebank/Courtyard was the best opening for 5/2, I think. That would have really hurt your opponent.

Beyond that, Minions were a good choice at $5. I think you definitely don't want the Torturers, since they are badly outmoded by superior cursers (like Mountebank) unless they have village support (which they don't in this case). Although, they are a nice target for Golem (Courtyards are just as good, though, and way cheaper). Going Potion here probably makes sense... in order to get Golem. And Golem is a good way to make Possession more worthwhile.

On the whole, your plays look pretty reasonable, except Mandarin! ;)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:21 pm »

I think you've definitely got to start mountebank/courtyard on 5/2 then look towards some apothecary/golem/possession combination. It's potentially a great golem kingdom and you need to be careful about adding action cards into the deck. In that respect the minion is probably better than the torturer since you'll also have mountebank, courtyard, and maybe possession and salvager as terminals.

There's a question about how useful extra silvers are in these decks in combination with the alchemy cards. There's also a question of whether you should go for duchies earlier for possible a 3 pile ending. If you're going for early duchies then the silver becomes better.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.