Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card and Token quality  (Read 3087 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Card and Token quality
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:44:52 am »

Has anyone else noticed that the Dark Ages card stock and backside of the card color is slightly lighter.
Although not a significant issue, I definitely can feel the thickness difference when dealing, and more importantly, when we have only 1 or 2 Dark Ages cards in the mix I can visually see (because of the lighter card color) that my opponent has this card in their hand or on top of their deck (and vice versa).
Additionally, I think the 1 Victory Point and 5 Victory Point tokens from Empires appears with less shaper edges (almost a worn appearance).

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
Re: Card and Token quality
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:41:22 am »

Additionally, when I counted my Embargo tokens, I had 18 and not 15 (as it says I should have 15 in the Rulebook)

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 12:10:05 pm »
+9

Contact RGG; they may let you send the extra tokens back.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:11:30 pm »
+1

Honestly, I doubt it. They apparently have a large surplus of Embarho tokens. No wonder they’re trying to pawn them off on unsuspecting consumers.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 04:34:06 pm »
+2

Additionally, when I counted my Embargo tokens, I had 18 and not 15 (as it says I should have 15 in the Rulebook)
When Seaside came out, Jay had Altenburger put in extra tokens, both Embargo and coin, so that it would be less likely that anyone got too few tokens. I don't know what he's doing there now.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 09:48:22 am »

Maybe I can exchange my extra Embargo tokens for some of the tokens and/or cards I have lost (LOL), (as I hadn't played for about 1 1/2 years) and
found a few things missing when I re-tallied all of the items.
But honestly I was just curious if anyone else had noticed the quality of tokens and cards.
-Thanks
-Doowopdj
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:49:43 am by DooWopDJ »

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 08:20:06 pm »

I absolutely noticed the quality drop from prosperity tokens to empires tokens. I would literally pay money for more prosperity tokens in 2 VP token style, and for more of them in general. Prosperity's felt so good to hold, but the empires just felt cheap.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 08:23:37 pm »
+1

I absolutely noticed the quality drop from prosperity tokens to empires tokens. I would literally pay money for more prosperity tokens in 2 VP token style, and for more of them in general. Prosperity's felt so good to hold, but the empires just felt cheap.
I guess I haven’t noticed a decrease in quality there. The design is different, but I don’t mind. And I LOVE that the Empires 1-VP and 5-VP tokens are different enough sizes to tell apart at a glance now. That wasn’t the case in Prosperity.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 09:43:37 pm »
+1

The Empires tokens are weightier, but the die used to coin them is really crude.

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 10:48:08 pm »

I guess I haven’t noticed a decrease in quality there. The design is different, but I don’t mind. And I LOVE that the Empires 1-VP and 5-VP tokens are different enough sizes to tell apart at a glance now. That wasn’t the case in Prosperity.

Wanna trade your prosperity for my empires tokens?
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 11:02:26 am »

I going to attempt to print my Fan cards (for my own personal use), and could not find the details about the current card quality standards.
What is the card size in mm? I have it at 58.7 mm (width) by 90.6 mm (height) (but my measurement ability seems to be lacking preciseness). 
What is the card stock 'weight' (someone said 110 'pound' weight?)
What paper type (glossy, flat, etc) that gives it a that 'card quality' we are used to?
I want to avoid to the best of my ability being able to 'detect' my fan cards vs existing cards.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:06:31 am by DooWopDJ »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 02:20:34 pm »

I felt backwards on that. I got empires first, and the prosperity ones seemed cheaper

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 02:21:29 pm »

Why is it considered bad to have extra tokens?

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 03:56:42 pm »

I had not explicitly considered it bad to have extra tokens.  I was taking 'inventory' and was missing some coin tokens, and had extra Embargo tokens, so that is when I remember the quality of the 2 types of 1/5 VP tokens, and also the 'thinner' card stock and lighter background I noticed in previous expansions.  And also having extra mats for 8 players, when only 6 meetings the rules.
Thanks.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 04:05:11 pm »

I had not explicitly considered it bad to have extra tokens.  I was taking 'inventory' and was missing some coin tokens, and had extra Embargo tokens, so that is when I remember the quality of the 2 types of 1/5 VP tokens, and also the 'thinner' card stock and lighter background I noticed in previous expansions.  And also having extra mats for 8 players, when only 6 meetings the rules.
Thanks.
YOu didn't mention having less coin tokens, only more embargo.

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 09:08:09 pm »

I felt backwards on that. I got empires first, and the prosperity ones seemed cheaper
Seriously, is there a spare parts forum or something? Because I would love to trade all my empires tokens for 2 sets of prosperity tokens.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 11:50:54 am »

I going to attempt to print my Fan cards (for my own personal use), and could not find the details about the current card quality standards.
What is the card size in mm? I have it at 58.7 mm (width) by 90.6 mm (height) (but my measurement ability seems to be lacking preciseness). 
What is the card stock 'weight' (someone said 110 'pound' weight?)
What paper type (glossy, flat, etc) that gives it a that 'card quality' we are used to?
I want to avoid to the best of my ability being able to 'detect' my fan cards vs existing cards.
Well my latest printing showed my measurements skills still lacking... my latest refined measurements are 59 mm (width) x 91 mm (height) (which I think are the measurement of the ones use to sleeve individual cards for playing.  I had hoped to have someone give me a reference to the original sizes used for printing.  But I will stick with what I have until I find a better answer.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.