Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: My new Dominion YouTubing Series  (Read 12254 times)

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
Re: My new Dominion YouTubing Series
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 08:47:56 am »

EDIT: I recently received a message from "Jake". He says he is a fellow dominion tuber and would like to skype/play me for one of my videos. However, I got it as a do not reply email. How would I go about responding?

Yo, sup. That's me. Weird about the do-not-reply thing, I might have checked a box or something.

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 12:35:07 pm »

I suscribed
Thanks!

EDIT: I recently received a message from "Jake". He says he is a fellow dominion tuber and would like to skype/play me for one of my videos. However, I got it as a do not reply email. How would I go about responding?

Yo, sup. That's me. Weird about the do-not-reply thing, I might have checked a box or something.
Great! So do we PM to arrange a game or something? I don't really know the etiquette regarding youtubers communications. I would absolutely love to play you in a game. Multiple, if it can be arranged.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

Screwyioux

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: JakeTheZipper
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 01:40:42 pm »

I suscribed
Thanks!

Great! So do we PM to arrange a game or something? I don't really know the etiquette regarding youtubers communications. I would absolutely love to play you in a game. Multiple, if it can be arranged.

What a coincidence, neither do I. Why don't you shoot me an email: jakeschwartz38@gmail.com and we'll schedule something.

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 08:35:27 pm »

Episode 5 just dropped!

Feedback? Do you guys think I dropped to much energy in speaking slower?

EDIT2. Deleted outdated question
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:42:41 am by arishipshape »
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 08:36:37 pm »

Episode 6 is live!

Feedback?

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 11:01:03 pm »

Episode 7 is live!

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:30:47 pm by arishipshape »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 08:50:13 am »

At 11:12, you said get a Border Village with Embassy. Isn't it Embassy with Border Village? or did you just mean that you're getting them at the same time.

Also, you can't see the amount of VP cards left. It may just be the width of the screen.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:02:13 am by LittleFish »

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 09:02:51 am »

At 11:12, you said get a Border Village with Embassy. Isn't it Embassy with Border Village? or did you just mean that you're getting them at the same time.
Yes, I meant I was getting them at the same time. While the Embassy was coming with the Border Village, I clicked Border Village first, so I said it first.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 09:04:11 am »

The strategies used were better then something I could come up with.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 09:05:18 am »

Yes, I meant I was getting them at the same time. While the Embassy was coming with the Border Village, I clicked Border Village first, so I said it first.
Sorry for being critical. I haven't played with Hinterlands yet so it confused me.

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 10:05:48 pm »

Sorry for being critical. I haven't played with Hinterlands yet so it confused me.
Please be as critical as you want. I want to become a better youtuber, and criticism is necessary to do that.
Episode 8 is live!

Criticism?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 06:52:19 am »
+1

You could have won if you topdecked the Count to gain a Duchy and buy a Province.

Lurker

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lurker
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 09:38:06 am »
+1

Thanks for the videos!

I don't like the Wandering Minstrel opening, because it's not cycling to anything except the necropolis - thus it doesn't do much to help early economy. If you open double silver then you can still pick up the Minstrel turn 3 but you have a higher shot at getting the Count turn 4. I think missing that early $5 for Count was why you had trouble using it to trash - Count struggles once there are too many good cards in your deck.

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 10:21:03 am »

Thanks for the videos!

I don't like the Wandering Minstrel opening, because it's not cycling to anything except the necropolis - thus it doesn't do much to help early economy. If you open double silver then you can still pick up the Minstrel turn 3 but you have a higher shot at getting the Count turn 4. I think missing that early $5 for Count was why you had trouble using it to trash - Count struggles once there are too many good cards in your deck.

Thanks for the tip! I hate buying silver on a 4 coin turn. It's a flaw of mine.

You could have won if you topdecked the Count to gain a Duchy and buy a Province.

I glanced through the video, and I can't seem to find a time where I could have used count to gain a duchy and could still have afforded a province. Could you give me a timestamp? Thanks for the criticism.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:20:55 pm by arishipshape »

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 03:03:47 pm »

At 17:58 you played WM and could have ordered Count on top, then play BC to draw it. Then play Count gain Copper, gain Duchy, buy Province.

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 08:05:42 pm »

At 17:58 you played WM and could have ordered Count on top, then play BC to draw it. Then play Count gain Copper, gain Duchy, buy Province.
 :o
EDIT: Episode 9 is live!

Any comments?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:15:54 pm by arishipshape »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 01:18:43 pm »

You can't see the amount of cards left in the Victory piles. They're off the screen

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2018, 10:38:19 pm »

You can't see the amount of cards left in the Victory piles. They're off the screen
Funny. I can see them. Could I have a screenshot?

Episode 10 is live!

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 09:21:50 am »

Funny. I can see them. Could I have a screenshot?

I went to a different computer and I could see them just fine. the other one is an older model, so the width might be off

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2018, 09:49:18 pm »

Episode 11 is live! We are back!

Does it look blurry to you guys?

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2018, 06:43:04 pm »
+1

I'd say there were 3 main areas you went wrong in that game:

1) You definitely underestimated Lookout. With that much junking coming in to your deck you definitely wanted more than one of them. Also with fortress on the board, using lookout more than usual is OK because if a fortress and some other engine pieces come up, you can freely trash the fortress and it goes into your hand, so the risk is lessened. Also also if you do get the Royal Blacksmith engine going, you can draw all of your cards and end with a load of coppers as the only cards in your deck, that your lookouts can then trash with no risk.
2) You got too distracted by Flag Bearer and Soothsayer. The extra card from the flag didn't matter because your deck was filled with junk so it made little difference. On this board you either wanted to go all in on Soothsayer or build the engine, and you sort of went half on both and as such had a deck that didn't really do anything. Note that in 4 player, one person can easily skip cursing and it's not so bad as in 2 player. In 2-player if one person skips junking they lose the curse split 10 - 0, but in 4 player, they tend to lose 7 - 7 - 7 - 10 or there abouts, which is nowhere nearly as bad.
3) You needed to focus more on Engineer to get the engine components you needed. You needed way more fortresses, patrons and lookouts in your deck so that the engine could be built in time, and the only realistic way of getting enough of these was with engineer. Lookout - Engineer would have been a good opener.

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2018, 11:32:16 pm »

I'd say there were 3 main areas you went wrong in that game:

1) You definitely underestimated Lookout. With that much junking coming in to your deck you definitely wanted more than one of them. Also with fortress on the board, using lookout more than usual is OK because if a fortress and some other engine pieces come up, you can freely trash the fortress and it goes into your hand, so the risk is lessened. Also also if you do get the Royal Blacksmith engine going, you can draw all of your cards and end with a load of coppers as the only cards in your deck, that your lookouts can then trash with no risk.
2) You got too distracted by Flag Bearer and Soothsayer. The extra card from the flag didn't matter because your deck was filled with junk so it made little difference. On this board you either wanted to go all in on Soothsayer or build the engine, and you sort of went half on both and as such had a deck that didn't really do anything. Note that in 4 player, one person can easily skip cursing and it's not so bad as in 2 player. In 2-player if one person skips junking they lose the curse split 10 - 0, but in 4 player, they tend to lose 7 - 7 - 7 - 10 or there abouts, which is nowhere nearly as bad.
3) You needed to focus more on Engineer to get the engine components you needed. You needed way more fortresses, patrons and lookouts in your deck so that the engine could be built in time, and the only realistic way of getting enough of these was with engineer. Lookout - Engineer would have been a good opener.
You are right. I shall reference you in the next analysis.
Episode 12 will be live shortly.

I had a long recording session I didn't expect, so I didn't have time to do an analysis or a funny edit. Sorry. That session was a particularly epic one, so absolutely worth a mediocre episode. Really, you guys are gonna love what I just recorded.
Feedback?

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2018, 02:27:08 am »

Gold, when not gained, is a shiny curse and something you want to avoid buying when building any form of engine.

This is hyperbole and should not be taken literally.

Why would it be hyperbole? If your goal is to build an engine every stop card is an obstacle you need to come around in some way. Of course you need some economy but if you are dependent on Gold to get that maybe that is a sign that engine is not the right call after all. On this board there was plenty of options that was better than Gold for the deck OP tried to build. Early Golds, as with Skulk or Wedding, is another story but buying Gold on an early is so rarely the right call for the engine that I wouldn't say my statement is hyperbole at all. Rather I'm wrong, but how in that case?
Depends on the audience as well... I'd reckon your "typical" Dom player still subscribes to the "when in doubt, Treasure is generally safe bet" mentality.  They may not be interested in the "hard core" level of strategy discussions and analysis that frequent this and other Dom. sites.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

arishipshape

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2018, 10:05:54 pm »

Episode 13 is live!

Thoughts?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2019, 02:05:20 pm »
+1

Letting your opponent get 10 Magpies with being so easy to put tokens on them, seems like a big mistake.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.