Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clean-up order of operations  (Read 1421 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Clean-up order of operations
« on: December 13, 2018, 01:59:42 pm »
+1

There are 3 cards that have the phrase '...At the start of Clean-up...' and I am trying to determine if the order of play of 3 three cards matters (may involve some Lost Cards rules).

Improve
"+2 Coins
At the start of Clean-up, you may trash an Action card you would discard from play this turn, to gain a card costing exactly +1 Coin more than it."

Scheme
"+1 Card
+1 Action
At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may choose an Action card you have in play. If you discard it from play this turn, put it on your deck."

Walled Village
"+1 Card
+2 Actions
At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than one other Action card in play, you may put this on top of your deck."

What is the best order of 'Clean-up'? Note: All 3 cards have been played (and are still in my play area). 
Is the 'Clean-up' rule still 'in effect', even if the card that I 'trash' and/or 'discard' (due to discarding for clean-up purposes), so that Walled Village's 'Clean-up' rule is now 'valid' since I no longer have 3 'Action' cards 'in play' (since I either discarded or trashed one of the 3 cards)?

Additionally, can the Trash pile be 're-ordered' by any player at any time during the game (to improve speed of game play for when you have to go through the trash, although I cannot cite an example here).

Thanks
-Doowopdj

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Clean-up order of operations
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 02:02:53 pm »
+2

The trash pile is explicitly not ordered, so do as you will with it.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 02:38:06 pm »

Scheme has new wording in second edition that does not involve the start of cleanup.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 03:28:08 pm »

Scheme makes no difference here, whether with old or new wording. By the time you discard a card, and then optionally topdeck it with Scheme, it's no longer start of Clean-up, so it's too late to do anything with Walled Village.

But the interesting question is the interaction between Walled Village and Improve. The question is, what does "At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than one other Action card in play" mean, timing-wise?

Let's say you have 3 Action cards in play. Both Walled Village and Improve trigger at the start of Clean-up, so you can choose the order. If you choose WV first, there's no question, you can't topdeck it. But if you choose Improve first, and trash a card, you have 2 Actions in play. Can you topdeck WV now? I would say yes, since it's still technically start of clean-up - you're still in the process of doing "start of clean-up" abilities.

After you've resolved every "start of clean-up" ability, you continue with clean-up, which means discarding cards. Scheme triggers now. As I said, it's no longer start of clean-up. (Scheme v.1 also triggered at start of clean-up, but all you did was choose then.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:48:16 pm »
+1

Old wording Scheme had a strictly worse option that you could choose; while new wording Scheme has removed that option.

Let's say you had a Rats in play, and you had played an Improve. With second edition Scheme, you trash Rats with Improve and draw a card. This gives you more information to use when deciding which card to top-deck.

With first edition Scheme, you could have chosen to resolve Scheme before Improve, thus having to choose a card to top-deck before seeing what you draw from trashing Rats.

So, we have a situation where granting an extra choice actually makes a card strictly worse! Because the extra choice granted by first edition Scheme is a strictly worse choice; thus the only thing the choice does is allow a player to make the wrong choice.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 04:47:11 pm »
+1

Even before Improve, old Scheme was worse because of more options, in a much simpler way: You could choose a Duration that would stay in play.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:47:38 pm »
+1

Encampment potentially also does something at the start of Cleanup, but this rarely interacts with the other effects (you might want to put it on its pile on top of a Plunder before Improving a Poor House, for example).

I think the best order is Encampments, then Improve then Walled Village.

Innovation might mix this up, if the Improved card can be played, but I can't come up with a scenario where this makes Walled Village after Improve/Innovation not topdeckable when it was before.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:58:29 pm »
+1

Encampment potentially also does something at the start of Cleanup, but this rarely interacts with the other effects (you might want to put it on its pile on top of a Plunder before Improving a Poor House, for example).

I think the best order is Encampments, then Improve then Walled Village.

Innovation might mix this up, if the Improved card can be played, but I can't come up with a scenario where this makes Walled Village after Improve/Innovation not topdeckable when it was before.

Duplicate! You have WV and Improve in play. You could now topdeck WV. Let's say you don't. You Improve the Improve into a Monument and play it, then you Duplicate the Monument. You now have 3 Actions in play, so you can't topdeck the WV.
EDIT: or Royal Carriage, to replay the Monument.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:59:53 pm by Jeebus »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 05:02:49 pm »
+1

But the interesting question is the interaction between Walled Village and Improve. The question is, what does "At the start of Clean-up, if you have this and no more than one other Action card in play" mean, timing-wise?

Let's say you have 3 Action cards in play. Both Walled Village and Improve trigger at the start of Clean-up, so you can choose the order. If you choose WV first, there's no question, you can't topdeck it. But if you choose Improve first, and trash a card, you have 2 Actions in play. Can you topdeck WV now? I would say yes, since it's still technically start of clean-up - you're still in the process of doing "start of clean-up" abilities.
The wiki covers this. Walled Village's trigger is "at the start of clean-up"; none of the rest is checked until you resolve it, and it only matters what the board state is then.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 05:56:20 pm »
+1

The wiki covers this. Walled Village's trigger is "at the start of clean-up"; none of the rest is checked until you resolve it, and it only matters what the board state is then.

Which, indeed, is consistent with the ruling on Wine Merchant.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.