Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Playing with 8P  (Read 11694 times)

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
Playing with 8P
« on: December 11, 2018, 07:52:45 am »

If you modified the amount of kingdom cards to 15 and added the base set, could you play a normally paced game with 8p

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with 8P
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:57:43 am »

Could you play a normally paced game with 8p?
No. Social deduction games are the only boardgames which function well at this player count. Dominion would just be a tedious game with a lot of downtime at this player count. Also, getting hit 7 times by a Witch until it is your turn again doesn't sound like a fun experience.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:14:38 am »
+1

Social deduction games are the only boardgames which function well at this player count.
Can you back that statement up?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:32:30 am »

Could you play a normally paced game with 8p?
No. Social deduction games are the only boardgames which function well at this player count. Dominion would just be a tedious game with a lot of downtime at this player count. Also, getting hit 7 times by a Witch until it is your turn again doesn't sound like a fun experience.

Dobble plays eight players.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:36:51 am »
+2

8 people means two games of 4 players each. The creator of Dominion himself has said that he won’t play with more than 5 players even though the rules cover up to 6.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 10:41:08 am »
+16

8 people means 4 games of two players each.

FTFY
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 10:49:02 am »

Social deduction games are the only boardgames which function well at this player count.

Not quite 8, but 7 player Caverna plays surprisingly smooth.

But in general, other than social deduction games, party games are good with 8 or more. Code Names is great with 8. Time's Up can be a lot of fun if you're into that sort of thing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 11:55:10 am »
+1

No. Social deduction games are the only boardgames which function well at this player count.
Not so. Games which allow simultaneous action by multiple players are another obvious category that scales well to high player counts. Especially drafting games. Things like Sushi Go Party! or even the classic Pit.

Edit: just asked BoardGameGeek to list games in my collection which take 8 players. So, non-social-deduction games I reckon play fine with 8 include: 6-nimmt!, Apples to Apples, Articulate!, Boggle, Ca$h 'n Guns, Cards Against Humanity, Codenames, Joking Hazard, Penultima, Pit, Sushi Go Party!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:03:50 pm by crj »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 01:01:04 pm »

I've created Diplomacy maps for eight players.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 01:04:29 pm »
+4

No. Social deduction games are the only boardgames which function well at this player count.
Not so. Games which allow simultaneous action by multiple players are another obvious category that scales well to high player counts. Especially drafting games. Things like Sushi Go Party! or even the classic Pit.

Edit: just asked BoardGameGeek to list games in my collection which take 8 players. So, non-social-deduction games I reckon play fine with 8 include: 6-nimmt!, Apples to Apples, Articulate!, Boggle, Ca$h 'n Guns, Cards Against Humanity, Codenames, Joking Hazard, Penultima, Pit, Sushi Go Party!

Your mistake here was implying that Apples to Apples plays fine with any number of people, or that it is a game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 01:08:28 pm »
+3

If you're looking for a Dominion-like experience with 8 players, 7 Wonders with the Cities expansion is great. It's a different genre of game, but there's a similar level of strategy, no downtime between turns, and can be played in 30-40 minutes. Without Cities it goes up to 7 players.

Also, Cosmic Encounter can be played with 8 players if you have 3 specific expansions. It's amazing and fun and relatively strategic, but it's more complex, there can be more downtime with that many players, and it can take much longer (1-3 hours depending on a lot of factors).
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 02:51:56 pm »

You can do the footwork yourself and look at the actual games that work with 8 players. You won't find a lot of Euros among them (nowadays 5 is a lot of a Euro), Ameritrash doesn't scale that much higher and most wargames cap at 6.
So we are left with the not-so-serious stuff: social deduction games plus the other stuff that has already been mentioned like party or trick-taking games.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 03:11:24 pm »

You can do the footwork yourself and look at the actual games that work with 8 players. You won't find a lot of Euros among them (nowadays 5 is a lot of a Euro), Ameritrash doesn't scale that much higher and most wargames cap at 6.
So we are left with the not-so-serious stuff: social deduction games plus the other stuff that has already been mentioned like party or trick-taking games.

I think you would have gotten less pushback if you had said "social deduction and party games". And included the word "generally".

Holunder9

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 03:38:03 pm »
+1

I think you would have gotten less pushback if you had said "social deduction and party games". And included the word "generally".
Somehow I don't worry about having ignored the likes of Monopoly, Risk and 6 nimmt. I wonder why. Perhaps because such a high player count comes at the cost of a fluffy game and if the game is moderately serious it cannot be really interactive E.g. if memory serves 7 Wonders makes you only care about your neighbours as you cannot keep the entire tableau of numerous other players in mind.

Even the shining gem of Ameritrash, Twilight Imperium, which needs a lot of players (ideally 5-7) sucks at 8 due to the presence of every of the 8 roles in each round.

Which brings us to why simultaneous action selection doesn't solve scaling issues:

Games which allow simultaneous action by multiple players are another obvious category that scales well to high player counts.
I already mentioned Twilight Imperium but this also applies for all other games which use this very mechanic from Puero Rico like Race for the Galaxy or Tiny Epic Kingdoms : just because the mechanic keeps downtime low doesn't mean that you can scale all the variables of a game well from 2 to 8 players.

5-6 is as high as it usually gets with non-non-serious games. And Dominion, arguably, sucks at a player count above 3. At least if badly scaling cards like Ambassador are around.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:39:38 pm by Holunder9 »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 04:08:51 pm »
+3

For large player-count non-party-games, counting social deduction as party games, the big thing is to make decisions simultaneously. For years there my go-to game with 7 players was Factory Job. It was published in distorted form as Infiltration, and they didn't support 7 players, I guess to keep components down, although man, why not seize the chance to have a game that works with 7? That's a big thing though, that publishers want to keep components down and that can limit how many players a game supports.

It's fair to say that Factory Job is an Ameritrash-y game; swingy things happen. That's not essential though. Other simultaneous-decision games of mine, aside from not having enough components for more players, often run into an area-of-effect issue. If you play Nefarious with 6, you get hit by too many negative effects from inventions; you can address that with an area-of-effect, but then the game rewards/punishes players based on seating position, which people don't like. This is a result of my approaches to reduce politics. You can have a political simultaneous decision game with 8 players with no problem, e.g. Diplomacy. Or, a more solitaire-y game, where the player interaction is e.g. a race. I played a lot of wordsplay at one point - essentially online Boggle - and there can be 50 people playing and it's fine, someone does the best.

You can have dilemmas that work with a large crowd; it's a different experience but does work. This provides a way to get lots of player interaction into a non-political non-random many-player game without an area-of-effect. I haven't done a large game with such a mechanic though. Factory Job is a dilemma game, but it's small group dilemmas (you aren't so much interacting with people who aren't near you).

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 09:36:26 pm »
+4

Somehow I don't worry about having ignored the likes of Monopoly, Risk and 6 nimmt.
Apart from being a game, I'm not seeing much that 6 nimmt! has in common with Monopoly or Risk. It has both elegant simplicity and depth.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 03:35:29 am »

You can do the footwork yourself ...
Someone else already did, and while I don't agree with every item on the list *cough* CaH *cough*, I may also want to add VivaJava the board game and Pix, both of which do an elegant job of incorporating up to 8 (or in the latter case, even 9) players. VivaJava hits the table rarely precisely because it works best with 8.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 08:41:29 pm »
+1

Another good one with simultaneous decisions is RoboRally. Newer editions added a timer and rules to make it a chaotic party game. But with the original rules, and a timer only if needed (just when some players are taking too long), it's a surprisingly tactical game where I have seen the good players consistently win. Of course you have to build a course that isn't too short, so that the luck will even out, so it could take a while to play.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 08:42:50 pm by Jeebus »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 09:46:15 am »
+1

I'd like to chime in on 7 Wonders with the Cities expansion being a great game for up to 8 players. The thing there is that for 7 Wonders, players play at the same time, so additional players don't make it take longer.

Not sure whether Lifeboat (with expansions) counts as Social Deduction or Colt Express (with expansions) counts as non-serious, but for each, the play time still becomes longer.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 02:22:57 pm »

I'd also like to mention Magic Maze. That game has really taken me by surprise.

Does Citadels work well with eight players?

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 10:52:20 am »

I'd also like to mention Magic Maze. That game has really taken me by surprise.

Does Citadels work well with eight players?
I assume so. I haven't tried with more than 4

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 11:25:32 am »

While Citadel's rules cope with eight players, I wouldn't want to play it that way; I'd get bored between doing things, and the game would take ages!

BoardGameGeek agrees that lower player counts are better.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 03:37:44 pm »

I may also want to add VivaJava the board game.
Can confirm; works well with 8.  The simultaneous actions help things along, that's the key with large player-counts.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 01:53:55 am »

While Citadel's rules cope with eight players, I wouldn't want to play it that way; I'd get bored between doing things, and the game would take ages!

BoardGameGeek agrees that lower player counts are better.

I played with 7, and we concluded that 5 was the most we should go with.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 12:57:24 am »

6 Nimmt (aka Category 5) is my favorite non-social-deduction, non-party game answer to this question. It works well even with 10!

(Meanwhile, Citadels is one of the worst)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.